PDA

View Full Version : How to set up Surname DNA project?

MikeWhalen
08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi guys

I see you have a section that might fit the dna surname projects...the Personal Genetics/Genealogy and Community Projects
sub forum?
but as it stands now, it seem you can only creat a thread, if this is the right spot to put a family surname dna project, can sub forums for each surname be created?

If all of this is possible, I would like to request the creation of the 'Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project' sub forum

Thanks for your consideration

Mike Whalen

Ezana
08-06-2012, 09:28 PM
You can start a thread there, it's perfectly appropriate. A surname project involves genealogy. If there's enough interest (meaning multiple surname threads), we'll split it off into its own subforum. Right now there's barely one thread in the Genealogy subforum, so I don't see a need to unclutter it just yet.

MikeWhalen
08-06-2012, 11:48 PM
ok, I will post a few standard bits for the Whalen/Phelan Project and you can decide if its easier to make a sub forum for them...thanks

Mike

MikeWhalen
10-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Bump

I would like the forum powers that be consider allowing the creation of specific sub forums for surname projects....as it stands now, we are only allowed to have a thread running under the geniology forum and its not very user friendly, particularly for newbies to find...I went looking to make a link for a new forum member today that noted she was a whalen, and I found I had to not just 'go' to the geniology sub forum, but then manually go back a page to find the Whalen/Phalen sub forum as there had not been any posts in it for a while

I doubt it would take a huge amount of space to do this in the forum as I count around 5 existing threads of specific surname projects with another 2 or 3 that are identified with a specific family name

In any case, it would help out those of us that try to recruit/educate folks regarding dna and thier surnames if we had an easier to find surname project forum -I hope the Admins/mods or whoever is in charge of such things will seriously consider my/our request

Mike Whalen

rms2
10-10-2014, 06:54 PM
I second Mike's request. I would like to be able to have a permanent subforum for my own surname project, as well.