PDA

View Full Version : What you do think about coffee?

utR!
11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Sometimes I'm thinking should I stop drinking coffee and drink more green tea. These articles made me think again the matter.........

This article popped out and the latter is more detailed:

http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/20/15309215-coffee-helps-you-see-the-bright-side?lite

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0048487?imageURI=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0048487.t001

Clinton P
11-26-2012, 12:50 PM
I suspect that this research may have been sponsored by the coffee industry.

They don’t seem to mention some of the other side-effects of coffee drinking, such as difficultly in getting off to sleep and bad breath.

Clinton P

utR!
11-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Ahaa, yes I do know people who can drink coffee and fall asleep without difficulties. If I drink too close to supposed sleeping time I have difficulties. About 5-6 hours should be the enough after drinking coffee.

Never heard about bad breath I think smoking and alcohol is more smelly and what about your mouth itself.

basque
11-26-2012, 09:02 PM
:biggrin1:Ha. I am drinking a cup of black Nescafe at this very moment about my 5th one of the day, I dont have bad breath :) and as Tuuli says smoking and alcohol gives the worst bad breath ever.

My sleep is not affected by coffee I am out like a light .

I love the smell of the Costa Coffee Shops its a cosy comforting warm smell.

I have no intention of giving up my coffee.

basque :)

ilmari
11-27-2012, 12:06 AM
I was the one that could drink coffee all day long, no problems with anything.

At 26, my genetic mutations kicked in full time and immediately I could not metabolize caffeine like I used to.

I now still drink coffee, but only one or two large mugs per day and always before noon, otherwise it is only decaf after that time.

If you have 23andMe results, you can see what sort of metabolizer of caffeine you are.

AJL
11-27-2012, 12:50 AM
A bit of coffee may keep you mentally sharp, give you antioxidants, motivate you for a workout, or stop you driving off the road.

Too much coffee may overstimulate the production of cortisol, thus leading to problems with body fat. It can also dehydrate you and raise your blood pressure.

There's a happy medium somewhere in between none and 12 cups a day. :beerchug:

Scarlet Ibis
11-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Whether it's good or bad, I have no intention of quitting my large cup per day habit anytime soon. Especially with the new peppermint, gingerbread, etc. twists they have for the Christmas season. :nod:

rivergirl
11-27-2012, 07:13 AM
I dont drink coffee, dont like the taste, smell or the sick feeling in my stomach, except for Vietnamese coffee, but that is probably the condensed milk in it.
A tea drinker all my life, black or green. Especially love Earl Grey or similar with home made scones , jam and cream...

Clinton P
11-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Coffee consumption may also increase the risk for heart disease in slow metabolizers of caffeine.

Cornelis MC et al. (2006) . “Coffee, CYP1A2 genotype, and risk of myocardial infarction.” JAMA 295(10):1135-41.

I have genotype AC at marker rs762551, whick makes me a "Slow caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee increased subjects' heart attack risk."

....and I thought loss of sleep and bad breath were bad enough, now this to worry about. :unsure:

Clinton P

utR!
11-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Coffee consumption may also increase the risk for heart disease in slow metabolizers of caffeine.

Cornelis MC et al. (2006) . “Coffee, CYP1A2 genotype, and risk of myocardial infarction.” JAMA 295(10):1135-41.

I have genotype AC at marker rs762551, whick makes me a "Slow caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee increased subjects' heart attack risk."

....and I thought loss of sleep and bad breath were bad enough, now this to worry about. :unsure:

Clinton P

Hi Clinton P!

Yes you had a good point of the negative side-effects and also the weakness in a heritage of genetics. For someone 5-6 cups may be very good for health (some diseases) and for someone it may influence in more harmful and opposite way. A moderation is then maybe best and knowing the own limits.

Thanks for giving the marker :)

tuuli

utR!
11-27-2012, 07:13 PM
I found this one:

http://goodmenproject.com/newsroom/a-world-of-coffee/

I do know that we do drink a huge amount of coffee yearly but 12 kg is very much indeed. And I understand most of it is mild roasted not so strong but high quality blended coffee. Selection is large but price is not so cheap nowadays. So I do follow sale prices now and then.

MikeWhalen
11-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Coffee rules!
I got a 'kurig' coffee maker last year and it is wonderfull....does a single cup at a time with a little premeasured coffee container....its generally more expensive, but there is a huge selection of types so it has gotten very popular in North America...I like dark bold strong coffee's so my recent favs are Honduras, French Roast, Mexican and a Costa Rico blends...yummy

and I dont give a damn how it affects me, we all die sometime, i just dont have any after supper time to make sure it does no affect my sleep

M

basque
11-27-2012, 08:51 PM

Clinton P

:D I have AA at rs762551 which makes me a fast metabolizer.

basque:) ps I am off to get myself a coffee.

MikeWhalen
11-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks to Clinton for the Rs #
I too have AA so yippee, I'm a fast metabolizer

as I sip my 4th cup of Presidents Choice dark blend
:)

Mike

utR!
11-28-2012, 06:34 AM
:biggrin1:Ha. I am drinking a cup of black Nescafe at this very moment about my 5th one of the day, I dont have bad breath :) and as Tuuli says smoking and alcohol gives the worst bad breath ever.

My sleep is not affected by coffee I am out like a light .

I love the smell of the Costa Coffee Shops its a cosy comforting warm smell.

I have no intention of giving up my coffee.

basque :)

Hi basque!

I do like the smell of coffee maybe because it gives you something you are used to and feel cosy. My mother used to make coffee in a coffee pot/pan when I was young (I think I was under 10 I started to drink coffee with sugar). Filter coffee is healthier because of the filter. You can associate many familiar things to coffee?

utR!
11-28-2012, 06:40 AM
I was the one that could drink coffee all day long, no problems with anything.

At 26, my genetic mutations kicked in full time and immediately I could not metabolize caffeine like I used to.

I now still drink coffee, but only one or two large mugs per day and always before noon, otherwise it is only decaf after that time.

If you have 23andMe results, you can see what sort of metabolizer of caffeine you are.

Hi Ilmari!

I may be slow in metabolizing caffeine because I can not drink too often coffee and not so strong tasting one.

I have only FTDNA-results, is it different rs-number?

tuuli

utR!
11-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks to Clinton for the Rs #
I too have AA so yippee, I'm a fast metabolizer

as I sip my 4th cup of Presidents Choice dark blend
:)

Mike

We have also coffee which name is Presidentti, quite a nice taste.

P. s. need to wait for tomorrow morning having my next cup, because of my slow systems. Life with coffee some limits but not so bad :)

tuuli

MJost
11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Been drinking coffee for over 45 years or so. Tastes have change to a more stronger flavor. My Black Silk at 1 Scoop for every two cups. The key is using a 200 degree F. brewer to bring out the enjoyment. Medium metabolizer and six or more cups day. No coffee in the evening unless out for dinner and enjoying a dessert.

May have caffinee in other forms late and no problem going to sleep.

MJost

ilmari
11-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi Ilmari!

I may be slow in metabolizing caffeine because I can not drink too often coffee and not so strong tasting one.

I have only FTDNA-results, is it different rs-number?

tuuli

Can you find the rs number via your Family Finder results?

If so, it should be the same, because they use the same Illumina Chip, but you might not find it in your data because FTDNA stripped out the "health" data, so maybe that was part of the strip out???

ilmari
11-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Been drinking coffee for over 45 years or so. Tastes have change to a more stronger flavor. My Black Silk at 1 Scoop for every two cups. The key is using a 200 degree F. brewer to bring out the enjoyment. Medium metabolizer and six or more cups day. No coffee in the evening unless out for dinner and enjoying a dessert.

May have caffinee in other forms late and no problem going to sleep.

MJost

According to your results, you should be a slow metabolizer. Perhaps there is some other mutation that is keeping you on the caffeinated side???

MJost
11-30-2012, 02:36 PM

If so, it should be the same, because they use the same Illumina Chip, but you might not find it in your data because FTDNA stripped out the "health" data, so maybe that was part of the strip out???
FF= Found in Family Finder

Coffee consumption #1 rs2472297 FF
TT Subjects who drank coffee consumed a slightly higher amount of coffee per day, on average
CT Subjects who drank coffee consumed a slightly higher amount of coffee per day, on average.
CC Subjects who drank coffee consumed a typical amount of coffee per day, on average.

Caffeine consumption #2 CC rs4410790 no FF

Caffeine metabolism and heart attack

Slow caffeine metabolizer rs762551 FF
AA Fast caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee didn't increase subjects' heart attack risk
AC Slow caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee increased subjects' heart attack risk.
AA Slow caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee increased subjects' heart attack risk

utR!
11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
FF= Found in Family Finder

Coffee consumption #1 rs2472297 FF
TT Subjects who drank coffee consumed a slightly higher amount of coffee per day, on average
CT Subjects who drank coffee consumed a slightly higher amount of coffee per day, on average.
CC Subjects who drank coffee consumed a typical amount of coffee per day, on average.

Caffeine consumption #2 CC rs4410790 no FF

Caffeine metabolism and heart attack

Slow caffeine metabolizer rs762551 FF
AA Fast caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee didn't increase subjects' heart attack risk
AC Slow caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee increased subjects' heart attack risk.
AA Slow caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee increased subjects' heart attack risk

Hi MJost!

Thanks for those rs:t. It was found rs2472297 which is TC

But I could not find rs4410790 or rs762551 it offers only rs7625517 which is TC but maybe it is not right marker?

I find this all very interesting but it is for me difficult because of those rs are quite unknown for and where to find them.

tuuli

utR!
11-30-2012, 04:33 PM

I shoul have have a test via 23andMe because you can get more information of your health, it feels a bit FF was a bit for vain to have. Thanks anyway you Ilmari!

tuuli

Clinton P
11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Raul Rodas from Guatemala is the 2012 World Barista Champion.

His signature drink featured four ingredients: infusions of fresh cascara (coffee cherry) and an infusion of unroasted coffee beans covered in mucilage (a tea made with dried coffee flowers) and brews of both partially roasted “yellow bean” coffee as well as first crack coffee.

Read Wikipedia about the World Barista Championship here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Barista_Championship)

Clinton P

utR!
11-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Raul Rodas from Guatemala is the 2012 World Barista Champion.

His signature drink featured four ingredients: infusions of fresh cascara (coffee cherry) and an infusion of unroasted coffee beans covered in mucilage (a tea made with dried coffee flowers) and brews of both partially roasted “yellow bean” coffee as well as first crack coffee.

Read Wikipedia about the World Barista Championship here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Barista_Championship)

Clinton P

Merci. Your message made me thinking why not to try something as exotic you wrote about (one day) :)

tuuli

MJost
11-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi MJost!

Thanks for those rs:t. It was found rs2472297 which is TC

But I could not find rs4410790 or rs762551 it offers only rs7625517 which is TC but maybe it is not right marker?

I find this all very interesting but it is for me difficult because of those rs are quite unknown for and where to find them.

tuuli

Maybe someone else could check on FtDNA FF's version to see what rs762551 Genotype conversion should be as I used 23andme's Genotype.

Phil75231
12-03-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm a confirmed coffee addict, for 20 or so years. Have no plans to quit. There does come a point where worrying about physical condition is counterproductive for your psychological condition.

utR!
12-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Ok Phil you are free soul and coffee does not harm your physics. I can say myself that I'm too a coffee addict because I have drunk it so long time. Once I stopped drinking and first had so severe headache I would not like to have any more. Once only one day without and it caused a terrible ache almost I felt like vomiting. But we are all so different in this matter.

After second day in my new workplace coffee after a meal does good. :) tuuli

basque
12-04-2012, 09:39 PM
I once decided not to buy anymore coffee:crazy: I lasted most of the day then could stand it no longer:decision: I ran to the local shops as fast as I could for a jar of nescafe ahh bliss it tasted delicious.

basque:rolleyes:

Little bit
12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
More good news about coffee today:

Moderate Coffee Consumption May Reduce Risk of Diabetes by Up to 25 Percent
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121204112454.htm

Not just that:

The report notes that the association between coffee consumption a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes could be seen as counter intuitive, as drinking coffee is often linked to unhealthier habits, such as smoking and low levels of physical activity. Furthermore, studies have illustrated that moderate coffee consumption is not associated with an increased risk of hypertension, stroke or coronary heart disease4 ,5, 6. Research with patients with CVD has also shown that moderate coffee consumption is inversely associated with risk of heart failure, with a J-shaped relationship7.
Finally, the report puts forward some of the key mechanistic theories that underlie the possible relationship between coffee consumption and the reduced risk of diabetes. These included the 'Energy Expenditure Hypothesis', which suggests that the caffeine in coffee stimulates metabolism and increases energy expenditure and the 'Carbohydrate Metabolic Hypothesis', whereby it is thought that coffee components play a key role by influencing the glucose balance within the body. There is also a subset of theories that suggest coffee contains components that may improve insulin sensitivity though mechanisms such as modulating inflammatory pathways, mediating the oxidative stress of cells, hormonal effects or by reducing iron stores.

Big time coffee drinker, even as a child. Believe it or not, my treat on Sundays when I was a child was a cup coffee (with lot's of milk and sugar). Ramped up as a teenager, especially when my first job was at a donut store. Drank the terrible stuff that passed for coffee in the Army and haven't stopped since. Now, I just add milk. Fast metabolizer per 23andme, no problems so far. Multiple family members insist that coffee gives them issues: one is a confirmed homozygous slow metabolizer, 2 are confirmed fast metabolizers.

Clinton P
12-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Something else to think about....

All materials are radioactive to some extent.

1kg of coffee contains approximately 1,000 Bq of activity.

Clinton P

utR!
01-01-2013, 08:49 AM
I have found that there is still contadicting information of the benefits of drinking coffee when having diabetes.

And what is the the limit it start to work in opposite way and being more harmful for your level of sugar?

http://www.realdiabetestruth.com/whats-the-verdict-on-coffee-drinking-and-diab/

tuuli

utR!
03-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Can stop drinking coffee for a short time? Do you get any symptoms?

I stopped drinking coffee because of trying to drink only liquids about a week. It is for my health reason and keeping the food and eating in backgroud of my life.

I drank 2-3 days less coffee but yesterday I had a terrible headache and I ended up vomiting. After that I felt better. But I do long for a cup of coffee with sandwitches.

I think I can not leave coffee for good but I do drink moderate amounts of it.

Would like to know have you tried to leave coffee and what happened after one day or so?

:thumb:

MikeWhalen
03-23-2013, 08:22 PM
i've had some cravings for coffee when for some reason I dont have any in a day, especially in the morning, but never, ever any reation even close to vomiting....u sure that was from coffee withdrawal and not a touch of the cold or flu? I've heard of headaches from coffee withdrawal, but never vomiting

Mike

Can stop drinking coffee for a short time? Do you get any symptoms?

I stopped drinking coffee because of trying to drink only liquids about a week. It is for my health reason and keeping the food and eating in backgroud of my life.

I drank 2-3 days less coffee but yesterday I had a terrible headache and I ended up vomiting. After that I felt better. But I do long for a cup of coffee with sandwitches.

Would like to know have you tried to leave coffee and what happened after one day or so?

:thumb:

basque
03-23-2013, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=utR!;4747]Can stop drinking coffee for a short time? Do you get any symptoms?

utR!

I would not even attempt giving up coffee even for a day, tried once for nearly a day but the cravings got the better of me. I do know people who have and they did get headaches. Not sure about the vomiting have you eaten enough?

I do not think there is any harm in having a few cups of coffee.

So get yourself a cup of coffee and a nice sandwich :ranger:

basque :rolleyes:

ilmari
03-24-2013, 06:43 AM
I used to drink many many cups of strong coffee, every day.

Then, I couldn't do that anymore, it really kept me up all night and made my heart pound hard.

Now, I drink one large mug of coffee every morning. It is probably the amount of coffee in 3 espresso shots.

I don't have any symptoms if I somehow miss a day or two for doing health studies, but in the old days, I would get a horrible headache if I didn't get my coffee on schedule.

I am, according to 23andMe results:

rs762551 AC

Slow caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee increased subjects' heart attack risk.

If the results are:
CC, it is the same as above.

If the results are:
AA, it indicates a fast caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee didn't increase subjects' heart attack risk.

It is based on a single study and not replicated yet.

utR!
03-24-2013, 07:50 AM
i've had some cravings for coffee when for some reason I dont have any in a day, especially in the morning, but never, ever any reation even close to vomiting....u sure that was from coffee withdrawal and not a touch of the cold or flu? I've heard of headaches from coffee withdrawal, but never vomiting

Mike

Hi Mike!

No I'm in quite good health all winter only small cough. I started to fast on Friday and it's my second time, 8 years since last time.

I have once a bad migraine when I was young and only vomiting helped then.

Maybe there were a lot of reasons for it. I drank stong saltwater earlier daytime and could not drink it much because of it started to feel I'll vomiting. Also some air was in my stomach and it may be one of the reason.

Last time I was fasting it went better. But I think I stopped drinking coffee a bit earlier than now.

I do know that some drink coffee when fasting but I want to get rid of it and my systems would have a "rest" for a while. After all it does good when you get out stuff from your bowels and there is some ;)

utR!

utR!
03-24-2013, 07:58 AM
I would not even attempt giving up coffee even for a day, tried once for nearly a day but the cravings got the better of me. I do know people who have and they did get headaches. Not sure about the vomiting have you eaten enough?

I do not think there is any harm in having a few cups of coffee.

So get yourself a cup of coffee and a nice sandwich :ranger:

I am fasting and that's why you can not eat solid food only liquids, teas, stocks. I think I do manage till next Friday or so not longer because it is Easter and I'll make some quark flan in pulla dough. It is not so creasy. So this just is teaching for me patience and some self-dicipline.
:nod:

utR!

utR!
03-24-2013, 08:05 AM
I used to drink many many cups of strong coffee, every day.

Then, I couldn't do that anymore, it really kept me up all night and made my heart pound hard.

Now, I drink one large mug of coffee every morning. It is probably the amount of coffee in 3 espresso shots.

I don't have any symptoms if I somehow miss a day or two for doing health studies, but in the old days, I would get a horrible headache if I didn't get my coffee on schedule.

I am, according to 23andMe results:

rs762551 AC

Slow caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee increased subjects' heart attack risk.

If the results are:
CC, it is the same as above.

If the results are:
AA, it indicates a fast caffeine metabolizer: drinking coffee didn't increase subjects' heart attack risk.

It is based on a single study and not replicated yet.

I can not drink a lot of coffee if there is a short time compared with previous coffee. It may start to burn and reflux. It depends on how strong it is like sometimes in some coffee places coffee may have been there longer we says coffee is standing I do not know better expression for it.

;)

utR!

Clinton P
04-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Some people may joke about living on caffeine, but scientists now have genetically engineered E. coli bacteria to do that—literally.

Click here (http://phys.org/news/2013-03-caffeine-addicted-bacteria.html) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

utR!
04-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Some people may joke about living on caffeine, but scientists now have genetically engineered E. coli bacteria to do that—literally.

Click here (http://phys.org/news/2013-03-caffeine-addicted-bacteria.html) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

I just wonder what else those E. coli addicted bacteria eat. But good point and new for me.

utR!
11-06-2013, 06:58 PM
What about this article, can stand coffee until 9:30 - 11:30?

Sometimes I do eat nothing until I'm at work about 8:30 - 9:30. I may need to check how it works if I'll drink later..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10430303/Best-time-to-drink-a-cup-of-coffee-10.30am.html

utR!

Clinton P
11-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Additional effects of promoting cortisol production:

suppresses the immune system :sick:
decreases bone formation :crutch:

Clinton P

Book
11-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Coffee is the only non-alcoholic beverage that provides a social life in the form of coffee houses or coffee shops. In the past, people use to just relax and talk, or read a book, or play chess, now people bring their lap tops and tablets. No other other social scene provides that type of atmosphere.

basque
11-06-2013, 08:43 PM
:ranger: As soon as I wake which is about 7.30 I have 2 large cups of hot water. So it`s about 8.30 when I have my first of many coffee`s. I also drink hot water at night. I have a hot water at this very minute 8.43pm.

basque :rolleyes: Ps I have never liked tea.

Clinton P
11-06-2013, 09:03 PM
:ranger: As soon as I wake which is about 7.30 I have 2 large cups of hot water. So it`s about 8.30 when I have my first of many coffee`s. I also drink hot water at night. I have a hot water at this very minute 8.43pm.

I'm regularly in hot water.

But what are the benefits of drinking hot water? Is this something that John Wesley advises? ;)

Clinton P

Book
11-06-2013, 09:21 PM

There was a time that I did drink tea, but I've lost interest in it even though it may actually be better for us. Coffee is more than about caffeine, and I actually have been drinking decaf in the past few years. Coffee is about getting in the mood to work, or enjoying some time out. For some reason I don't get that from tea, or maybe I just haven't explored it enough.

basque
11-06-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm regularly in hot water.

But what are the benefits of drinking hot water? Is this something that John Wesley advises? ;)

Clinton P

Clinton P

I dont drink it for any particular benefits its just more refreshing then coffee first thing in the morning. It is something John Wesley would have advised as in those days it would have been best to boil the water.

MikeWhalen
11-07-2013, 01:59 PM
ewww...just drinking hot water?

sounds like a punishment my mom would have put on me when I was a kid and had been caught doing something wrong-glad she never heard of it

-on a side note, she did know about washing your mouth out with soap---I got that once for cussing out a neighbor
...it didnt stop me from cussing alot as an adult, but I sure was careful not to let her hear me cuss until I was way to big to do the soap trick :)

Mike

alan
11-07-2013, 02:13 PM
I need a coffee in the mornings. I can hardly speak until I have one. I dont touch it after early afternoon though or I wont sleep that night.

Now I love an Irish/Gaelic coffee as it gives you a double whammy of coffee and whisky and really perks you up. Not in the mornings though!

lol drinking hot water. That reminds me of Asterix in Britain when he finds the Britons all drink hot water because tea had not been discovered yet.

MikeWhalen
11-07-2013, 04:07 PM
YES

YES

cant fix stupid :)

M

I need a coffee in the mornings. I can hardly speak until I have one. I dont touch it after early afternoon though or I wont sleep that night.

Now I love an Irish/Gaelic coffee as it gives you a double whammy of coffee and whisky and really perks you up. Not in the mornings though!

lol drinking hot water. That reminds me of Asterix in Britain when he finds the Britons all drink hot water because tea had not been discovered yet.

utR!
11-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Jee, I know it is not so nice to be without coffee just after waking up. I drink just cold water quite a bit and feel not hungry until 9 or so. But without coffee and breakfast I can not go on at work.

I just wonder how they managed before coffee/tee in old times, did they just drink hot water basque?

:violin:

best

utR!

basque
11-07-2013, 06:01 PM
ewww...just drinking hot water?

sounds like a punishment my mom would have put on me when I was a kid and had been caught doing something wrong-glad she never heard of it

-on a side note, she did know about washing your mouth out with soap---I got that once for cussing out a neighbor
...it didnt stop me from cussing alot as an adult, but I sure was careful not to let her hear me cuss until I was way to big to do the soap trick :)

Mike

:laugh:I remember getting sent to the school toilets to wash my mouth out with horrible pink soap. I think it was carbolic I can still taste it. I must have said something really rude.

basque
11-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Jee, I know it is not so nice to be without coffee just after waking up. I drink just cold water quite a bit and feel not hungry until 9 or so. But without coffee and breakfast I can not go on at work.

I just wonder how they managed before coffee/tee in old times, did they just drink hot water basque?

:violin:

best

utR!

I think they may have drank beer or wine? or made drinks from leaves and nettles found in their surroundings.

I found this interesting link about the history of coffee.

http://www.ncausa.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=68

utR!
11-07-2013, 07:02 PM
I think they may have drank beer or wine? or made drinks from leaves and nettles found in their surroundings.

I found this interesting link about the history of coffee.

http://www.ncausa.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=68

Thanks for the article of the history of coffee. Somebody has realised it needs to be roasted too and later on blended by many kind of coffee to get a nice combination of light or dark coffee.

There was that one word of coffe which is quite similar to our word kahvi/kahve. Normally when having guest it is asked to come to coffee as we say it "Tulkaa kahville or kaffelle". Coffee is social drink (aswell alcohol too) here is our country because we do drinks lots of lots of coffee. Birthday cake is nothing witout a good tasty cup of coffee nam.

best

utR!

utR!
11-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Can you add some more?

http://www.businessinsider.com/13-scientific-reasons-to-drink-coffee-2013-11

:typing:

utR!

utR!
12-09-2013, 04:16 PM
coffee ain't bad for health more research has shown that doses about 200 mg consumption is good for health it cause it's best for brain health and reduces risk of dementia and Alzheimer plus it burns body fat too

Combination of Morning Coffee and at night Green Tea is best cause coffee keeps active for whole day and green tea is good for relaxing body and mind cause of good melatonin production to sleep better.

I think that is quite same as I'm thinking. I like jasminetea because it is not so strong as normal green tea. But I must admit I do prefer coffee maybe because I have a long history since childhood.

I can not drink energydrinks as youth does keeping them awake long by computers.

utR!

Clinton P
01-13-2014, 05:10 PM
"A US study has raised the possibility that we may one day rely on caffeine to boost memory as well as to wake up."

"It found those who took caffeine tablets, rather than dummy pills, fared better on the memory tests."

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25665781) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

utR!
01-17-2014, 03:34 PM
"A US study has raised the possibility that we may one day rely on caffeine to boost memory as well as to wake up."

"It found those who took caffeine tablets, rather than dummy pills, fared better on the memory tests."

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25665781) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

I just wonder does caffeine help anyhow those who has bad memory or dementia maybe not. But it may..

utr!

utR!
02-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Is it difficult to change your drinking habits like you have drunken tee since child? Or is it just your taste which is somehow in you?

I remembered when I was visited as a child my fathers brother and his family. It was first time I drank tea with a lot of milk. It was not good but I can drink tea with sugger. Maybe it is just learning to drink tea/coffee.

It is recommended to drink 4-5 to cups/day which about 4 dl. I do drink more than that. It is said that there is not benefits any more for you health. Who knows.

utR!

Clinton P
03-03-2015, 10:32 AM
"Drinking a few cups of coffee a day may help people avoid clogged arteries - a known risk factor for heart disease - Korean researchers believe."

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31690358) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

utR!
03-14-2015, 07:42 PM
"Drinking a few cups of coffee a day may help people avoid clogged arteries - a known risk factor for heart disease - Korean researchers believe."

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31690358) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

Yes. it need many more researchs. But it is good to know that coffee can do good for arteries. We may not know which substance in it does it. Yes drinking average 4-5 cups is perhaps the best amount for our state of health.

And light coffee is better because it has more antioxidants than dark filter coffee. The first one taste better. I have tried both of them.

Best

utR!

rms2
03-14-2015, 09:00 PM
I drink hot coffee in the morning, but only during the late fall, the winter, and early spring, when the weather is cool or cold. I don't drink hot drinks in warm weather.

The coffee I make at home is way better than anything I can get anywhere else. For one thing, my "coffee" is about 60% milk.

Agamemnon
03-15-2015, 01:02 AM
I'm not a huge coffee fan, my ex forced me to drink Turkish coffee for instance and it totally annoyed me but I never told her of course. I do like Iced Coffee, though I drank it only once (when I last went to Jerusalem).
I'm a tea drinker really, I usually drink tea while smoking hookah.

rms2
03-15-2015, 01:07 AM
I'm not a huge coffee fan, my ex forced me to drink Turkish coffee for instance and it totally annoyed me but I never told her of course. I do like Iced Coffee, though I drank it only once (when I last went to Jerusalem).
I do like tea though, I usually drink tea while smoking hookah.

I actually prefer tea, but I have had a number of kidney stones (the most recent one required laser surgery - ouch!), and my urologist said tea is baaad for people like me. I used to drink tea like there was no tomorrow, and I do miss it.

Agamemnon
03-15-2015, 01:14 AM
I actually prefer tea, but I have had a number of kidney stones (the most recent one required laser surgery - ouch!), and my urologist said tea is baaad for people like me. I used to drink tea like there was no tomorrow, and I do miss it.

I drink tea a lot as well, sad to hear about your health issues, that definitely isn't fun. Here's a personal anecdote about tea: I grew up in a lost village in eastern France, in a region called "Little Siberia", next to Switzerland. My mother used to teach English in the local school I was at from time to time, once she decided to make tea in class... My classmates couldn't drink hot tea, they were obviously disappointed since they thought that tea was synonymous with Ice tea, they looked at us like aliens (I said it somewhere else, the kids used to pick on me and my twin brother because we are half-British, unlike what some would like to think the British-French rivalry isn't dead yet).
Still, I have fond memories of the place :)

rms2
03-15-2015, 01:19 AM
My wife is Russian (well, ethnically Lithuanian, Polish, and Ukrainian really), and I taught her to drink iced tea. Now she loves it. Russians have this phobia against cold drinks. They think cold drinks cause sore throats and a host of other maladies. They love hot drinks and hot soups, although they do have this weird cold soup they eat in the summer. That and holodetz (think "meat jello") are the only Russian foods I don't like.

Agamemnon
03-15-2015, 01:56 AM
My wife is Russian (well, ethnically Lithuanian, Polish, and Ukrainian really), and I taught her to drink iced tea. Now she loves it. Russians have this phobia against cold drinks. They think cold drinks cause sore throats and a host of other maladies. They love hot drinks and hot soups, although they do have this weird cold soup they eat in the summer. That and holodetz (think "meat jello") are the only Russian foods I don't like.

OT question, but I'm dying to know: Are your children fluent in Russian? And does your wife know any Lithuanian?

rms2
03-15-2015, 02:04 AM
Yes, to the first question, no to the second. Her grandparents were Lithuanian, but they had moved to Belarus by the time my wife's father was born. My wife's mom still speaks Polish and Ukrainian though.

Táltos
03-15-2015, 03:51 AM
Love coffee, it's in my DNA. :biggrin1:
Iced coffee is good only in the summer. I also enjoy tea, but it does not give me the pick me up like coffee. I have read that tea has more caffeine than coffee. I would think coffee should have more. :\

rock hunter
03-17-2015, 07:35 AM
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. Apologies to Dune

Give me starbucks or give me death !!!!

Stephen1986
03-17-2015, 11:16 AM
I like black coffee and drink it fairly often, although I tend to drink black or green tea more regularly than coffee. I'm a slow metaboliser of caffeine so coffee is something I have to limit to before 2 or 3pm (although I've found that I can drink tea until about 4, when I drank fizzy pop like Diet Coke I could drink that until about 7 or 8 but I don't drink fizzy pop anymore, and caffeine in food didn't seem to have any effect). Of my other siblings, my brother who was tested at 23andMe is a fast metaboliser but doesn't like hot drinks - he can drink Coke five minutes before bed and it won't affect him. His non-identical twin brother loves coffee and I think he's probably a fast metaboliser as well. Our youngest brother is probably also a fast metaboliser as I've seen him drink coffee at night with no effects. My sister I'm less sure about, but I seem to be the only slow metaboliser out of the five of us.

Salkin
03-17-2015, 11:37 AM
On days off, I tend to drink black tea with milk. On workdays, strong coffee with milk, often supplemented with an energy drink here and there.

It's probably about time for a detox, since my tolerance is somewhere up in the stratosphere. I have the slow(ish; heterozygous) caffeine metaboliser genotype too, which would have to be considered maladaptive in this country...

leonardo
03-17-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm a big fan. My grandmother introduced me too it at an early age. She and her siblings drank it as children, often dunking bread in it for their meal, during the Great Depression. I drink a good amount everyday day, with milk or cream.

utR!
03-18-2015, 03:42 PM
I drink hot coffee in the morning, but only during the late fall, the winter, and early spring, when the weather is cool or cold. I don't drink hot drinks in warm weather.

The coffee I make at home is way better than anything I can get anywhere else. For one thing, my "coffee" is about 60% milk.

I do like capuccino coffee too. It is not bad when it is done well.

How much is milk in French coffee I can not remember?

Once I drank very taste milkcoffee in one small hotel in France with croissants. It tasted absolutely different I was used to here at home. It was after I travelled overseas from England to France. And it was too late to get into a hostel.

utR!
03-18-2015, 03:44 PM
I'm a big fan. My grandmother introduced me too it at an early age. She and her siblings drank it as children, often dunking bread in it for their meal, during the Great Depression. I drink a good amount everyday day, with milk or cream.

Ok. I was about 10 I started to drink because my sistes drank too. It was we call it done in a small coffeepot by boiling water and then adding the coffee + small re-boiling. And the pot was made of aluminum ups.

utR!
03-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Love coffee, it's in my DNA. :biggrin1:
Iced coffee is good only in the summer. I also enjoy tea, but it does not give me the pick me up like coffee. I have read that tea has more caffeine than coffee. I would think coffee should have more. :\

That is a nice topping dna. I think still that coffee has more caffein. We drink here in far north 12 kg/per year. Need to start to count ..... ;)

vettor
03-18-2015, 05:58 PM
I only ever drank instant coffee or "american coffee" once...............its rubbish:puke:

never again will these, soil my lips

I usually drink Segafreddo ( italian brand ) or the Australian brands of Beraldo or Veneziano..............other in the espresso field are passable or horrible

surbakhunWeesste
03-18-2015, 06:46 PM
I love coffee and I am addicted to it. I think caffeine doesn't work on me anymore. I am growing into artisan coffee rather than franchise/brand stuff. Recently, I walked into this coffee shop in Venice beach and they had quite some interesting blends. The aroma of coffee is just invigorating .

Gray Fox
03-18-2015, 08:24 PM
I absolutely love coffee. The smell, the taste, the accompanying pastries and goodies, the whole lot! Of course it causes issues with that pesky anxiety disorder that I have, so I really can't drink any more than a small cup.

rock hunter
03-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Have you ever been asked how do you make ice coffee ? I have lol really !!

rock hunter
03-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Oh and by the way , I invented the turbo coffee !!! lol

It was 1984 in Washington DC , a little coffee shop of which there are hundreds of there but this one was about two blocks from the library of congress . It was early, I was dead tired and I ordered a large coffee with three shots of espresso. She looked at me as if I were mad and then added 3 shots at $2 a piece, thats all I remember .

leonardo
03-18-2015, 11:30 PM
Ok. I was about 10 I started to drink because my sistes drank too. It was we call it done in a small coffeepot by boiling water and then adding the coffee + small re-boiling. And the pot was made of aluminum ups.

Kind of embarrassed to say my grandmother started me at about 4 years of age. Consider that the cup was filled first about half way with milk, and there was plenty of sugar in it. My grandmother and her siblings drank it as children, as I previously mentioned, so she saw no problem with it. It was real highlight for me to spend the night, wake up early and help her make the coffee with her old percolator, We would drink our coffee, make breakfast and share a meal. She often made home made donuts. We would shake them in brown paper bags with sugar and cinnamon to coat them. Very pleasant memories for me.

utR!
03-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Kind of embarrassed to say my grandmother started me at about 4 years of age. Consider that the cup was filled first about half way with milk, and there was plenty of sugar in it. My grandmother and her siblings drank it as children, as I previously mentioned, so she saw no problem with it. It was real highlight for me to spend the night, wake up early and help her make the coffee with her old percolator, We would drink our coffee, make breakfast and share a meal. She often made home made donuts. We would shake them in brown paper bags with sugar and cinnamon to coat them. Very pleasant memories for me.

I can imagine that coffee tasted very well with homemade donuts. That is new that it was used cinnamon. We normally use just sugar.

Yes it is good to remember good old time I think + all social events aswell too.

tamilgangster
05-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Coffee sucks, tastes bad and gives crash and burn, I prefer 5 hour energy that shit works well

utR!
05-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Coffee sucks, tastes bad and gives crash and burn, I prefer 5 hour energy that shit works well

Maybe you have not drunken right kind of coffee. Very dark coffee may increase "burn" (acid regurgitation upwards in your eosphagus. But if it is bad it is better to not to drink at all.

surbakhunWeesste
05-20-2015, 04:52 PM

Yeah right the 5hour energy must be a better option to Coffee with the following ingredients:

Taurine:
A synthetic version of a chemical commonly found in bile, most notably bull bile, from which it got its name, taurine helps skin hydration, teeth, and hair follicles, along with delivering many other nutritional benefits. Ironically, the amount of taurine in most energy drinks is far below the amount that would be therapeutic or dangerous.

Glucuronolactone:
During the Vietnam War, glucuronolactone became infamous for a rumor that it was developed by the American government and then banned due to side effects that gave people who ingested it brain tumors. In reality, though, it’s actually just naturally occurring chemical found in most human connective tissue and various plant fiber.

Citicoline:
This incredibly common over-the-counter supplement has a bevy of different medicinal uses. It helps memory retention in rats afflicted with Alzheimer’s. In Japan and Europe it’s approved treatment for head trauma and stroke. It improves the visual effects of glaucoma patients. It has also been know to reduce cocaine dependency. It increases glucose metabolism and has an incredibly low level of toxicity. At the worst, it’ll give you some diarrhea.

A cup of coffee vs 5-Hour energy:

An eight-ounce cup of coffee contains anywhere from 100 to 150 milligrams of caffeine.
The caffeine content of a full bottle of 5-Hour Energy is 207 mg.

“Since 2009, 5-Hour Energy has been mentioned in some 90 filings with the F.D.A., including more than 30 that involved serious or life-threatening injuries like heart attacks, convulsions and, in one case, a spontaneous abortion (AMAGINK), a summary of F.D.A. records reviewed by The New York Times showed.”

The key ingredients in 5-hour ENERGY® are also available in every day foods – like broccoli, avocados, bananas and apples – or already in you. It contains zero sugar, four calories and as much caffeine as a cup of the leading premium coffee.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/heres-whats-actually-inside-of-a-5-hour-energy#.sxYnqgwla

bored
05-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Coffee makes me smarter.

Cinnamon orange
05-20-2015, 05:41 PM
:)love coffee, not black but with cream preferably and sugar. Lately have been leaving the sugar out for health reasons. I am a bit of a coffee snob, if it is not good, it isn't worth drinking.

On the 23andme test, I am a slow metabolizer, so get my coffee kicks, in the first half of the day.

seferhabahir
05-20-2015, 07:17 PM
I drink coffee every morning and have done so for decades. My current standard is Peet's Major Dickason Blend whole beans, ground fresh, brewed in a Cuisinart drip coffee maker with unbleached filters. I put enough Bailey's Irish Creme in to just coat the bottom of a mug (granted not the standard for purists, but it replaces milk and sugar for me and is way faster). I started drinking coffee about 1970 at the original Alfred Peet's' Coffee & Tea on Vine Street in Berkeley when I was there as a freshman at UC, so I guess I have been doing this coffee thing for 45 years. The Bailey's bit was only for the last 15 years, though because I don't drink it black, never did.

http://www.peets.com/about-us/our-history

tamilgangster
05-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Yeah right the 5hour energy must be a better option to Coffee with the following ingredients:

Taurine:
A synthetic version of a chemical commonly found in bile, most notably bull bile, from which it got its name, taurine helps skin hydration, teeth, and hair follicles, along with delivering many other nutritional benefits. Ironically, the amount of taurine in most energy drinks is far below the amount that would be therapeutic or dangerous.

Glucuronolactone:
During the Vietnam War, glucuronolactone became infamous for a rumor that it was developed by the American government and then banned due to side effects that gave people who ingested it brain tumors. In reality, though, it’s actually just naturally occurring chemical found in most human connective tissue and various plant fiber.

Citicoline:
This incredibly common over-the-counter supplement has a bevy of different medicinal uses. It helps memory retention in rats afflicted with Alzheimer’s. In Japan and Europe it’s approved treatment for head trauma and stroke. It improves the visual effects of glaucoma patients. It has also been know to reduce cocaine dependency. It increases glucose metabolism and has an incredibly low level of toxicity. At the worst, it’ll give you some diarrhea.

A cup of coffee vs 5-Hour energy:

An eight-ounce cup of coffee contains anywhere from 100 to 150 milligrams of caffeine.
The caffeine content of a full bottle of 5-Hour Energy is 207 mg.

“Since 2009, 5-Hour Energy has been mentioned in some 90 filings with the F.D.A., including more than 30 that involved serious or life-threatening injuries like heart attacks, convulsions and, in one case, a spontaneous abortion (AMAGINK), a summary of F.D.A. records reviewed by The New York Times showed.”

The key ingredients in 5-hour ENERGY® are also available in every day foods – like broccoli, avocados, bananas and apples – or already in you. It contains zero sugar, four calories and as much caffeine as a cup of the leading premium coffee.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/heres-whats-actually-inside-of-a-5-hour-energy#.sxYnqgwla

But it's a concentrated mixture of those ongrediants and it works well

Clinton P
05-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Researchers are warning that the world's most popular coffee, Arabica, is under threat.

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32736366http://) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

Salkin
05-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Researchers are warning that the world's most popular coffee, Arabica, is under threat.

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32736366) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

Interesting! Thanks for the link, though it appears to have gotten an extra "http://" at the end. (Fixed in the quote so as not to propagate it)

utR!
09-18-2015, 07:30 PM
How is your inside/body clock or system is coffee disturbing your sleeping?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/299638.php

This article was puplished and I found this article can rise up some questions and doubts. Only 5 persons were tested not so many?

utR!

Clinton P
10-21-2015, 01:48 PM
A just-in-time-for-Halloween study published in the journal Appetite revealed that people who like their coffee black are more likely to possess anti-social and psychopathic personality traits.

Click here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-coffee-psychopath_561baf08e4b0dbb8000f150f) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

utR!
10-24-2015, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=Clinton P;115898][LEFT]A just-in-time-for-Halloween study published in the journal Appetite revealed that people who like their coffee black are more likely to possess anti-social and psychopathic personality traits.

Click here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-coffee-psychopath_561baf08e4b0dbb8000f150f) to read more about this story.

I do prefer coffee with milk or sometimes with cream.

It is bitter without nothing added.

How about with tea is it same associated to an antisocial and psychopathy personality? There are so many things you can test and link it to many mental disorders.

utR!

rms2
10-24-2015, 10:54 PM
I can't remember whether I have posted in this thread already or not. Anyway, I usually only drink coffee on the weekends, because I can only get it the way I like at home. My coffee is about 90% skim milk, 9% coffee, and 1% honey, and it is delicious. I love it, and it is a weekend treat. I used to get coffee from 7-11 in the morning before work, but that coffee is, as the Russians call it, kakashka compared with my coffee at home. I know my coffee is mostly hot skim milk with a little dab of coffee and honey, but that's the way I like it.

Dante
04-13-2016, 04:37 PM
Sometimes I'm thinking should I stop drinking coffee and drink more green tea. These articles made me think again the matter.........

I only started drinking coffee last year. Before then I would drink only green tea; different versions of green tea that relatives would send over via mail or if rather desperate / low-on-stock any store bought matcha tea. I didn't start drinking caffinated beverages for that matter [soda, etc.] until about 5 years ago. The one time some coffeeshop [Starbucks if I remember correctly] employee thought she'd be smart by adding a shot of espresso to my hot chocolate I could taste it within seconds of the first sip - she had to do it again otherwise I was getting my money back.

This says something because my family is mostly predominantly European / British and it seems by association very pro-coffee. Mom drinks about 8 to 10 cups a day, sibling is not much less. Dad is probably the least of them at 3-4 cups, but still more than me. According to 23&me's "caffine" genes rs2472297 [CT] & rs4410790 [CC] for high caffine consumption I must be torturing myself by not having anymore than 1 cup - yet beyond 1 cup, feel sick most times particularly if store bought [Tims, McDonalds, etc.] coffee. Home brewed coffee still one cup - actually more like 1/2 cup whenever the rare need to indulge or someone has already made a cup.

23&me caffine metabolizism I believe - rs762551, I am AA, fast metabolizer.

Besides heart disease is not common in the family. In fact, I have such a steady heartrate & can lower it through concentration that one time when during CPR training between the slow heart rate & the minimal breathes neither the two fellow students nor the instructor could get a proper pulse. Apparently, to one, I was "dead".

I only picked it up after my birthday actually. A night out with friends, added to with a early [well early to where we were living, not to relatives] morning wake up / happy birthday wishes, meant I was dragging my feet to family breakfast at a local restaurant to celebrate. The witress put it down & rather than raise a stink decided to drink it on a brother's dare. Sure it was "okay" - after dumping so much sugar & cream into it.

I don't need caffine to wake up as many claim. In all actuality, I wake up pretty much instantly and when awake [even if I just went to sleep 2 hours prior] I can't go back to sleep outside my typical sleep-hour routine unless extremely sick or so exhausted I "nod off" where I am sitting (no, I don't drive when that tired). I am like my cousin - drink coffee when expected or to keep from causing a hassle [e.g. at business meetings, resturants, etc.] but beyond that wouldn't touch it. I rarely drink the whole cup anyways. The few times I've had it at home / relatives' I take maybe a few sips and ignore it [when visiting mom refuses to make me coffee anymore after I kept dumping "stone cold" almost full cups down the drain].

Have yet to see any "benefits". Know a few people who could potentially attribute their issues to high coffee consumption. http://www.caffeineinformer.com/harmful-effects-of-caffeine

By the way, reading through, it seems a vast majority of high coffee drinkers were introduced at an early age. Do you think if you hadn't had that early age introduction you'd have started drinking coffee?

Lirio100
04-13-2016, 07:11 PM
My dad was a big coffee drinker but I didn't start drinking coffee until junior or senior year of college, every day by grad school; I don't wake up easily and I found it made early classes more intelligible. :P I eventually ended up at 8 to 10 cups a day (yes, a fast metabolizer), although these days 4 to 6 per day is more common.

Leeroy Jenkins
04-13-2016, 10:24 PM
I'm not a fan of American coffee, as it is rather tasteless and weak, but I do enjoy lattes and espresso on cold mornings.

Gravetto-Danubian
04-13-2016, 10:35 PM
I'm not a fan of American coffee, as it is rather tasteless and weak, but I do enjoy lattes and espresso on cold mornings.

It was very bad (sorry)- even in San Fran.
I guess in Australia we're spoiled by great coffee and food from various cultures and top quality is an absolute requirement

In the a.m. I need a triple shot long black with some honey and a touch of milk. Rocket fuel
Needless to say, I love (good) coffee, but I'm clearly dependent

leonardo
04-13-2016, 10:52 PM
I enjoy coffee. I like mine strong, but do add some cream; no sugar, just cream.

Cinnamon orange
04-14-2016, 06:31 AM
I like coffee, according to 23andme I am a slow metabolizer.

I drink at most now, one cup per day and have tea about once or twice a day as well. I don't need caffeine to wake up but drink tea out of habit in the morning. If I had a good i.e. expensive coffee maker, I might drink coffee in the morning. I like cappuccinos, flat whites, piccolos. Not black and not too sweet, I don't add syrups or sugar anymore to coffee or tea.

Coffee can sometimes taste bitter to me, if I use capsules, light coffee tastes better to me.

Thinking now about getting a coffee this afternoon....

Lugus
04-14-2016, 06:45 AM
I love coffee, starting with its smell. Besides, if I don't drink coffee I get an headache so I guess I'm addicted. I drink it with milk or black, without sugar. I never drink instant coffee. When I'm in Portugal I also enjoy the local espresso (bica). According to 23andme I'm a fast metabolizer so theoretically I could drink before going to bed but in practice I only drink twice a day, in the morning and after lunch (which is usually a light meal).

utR!
04-14-2016, 01:08 PM
By the way, reading through, it seems a vast majority of high coffee drinkers were introduced at an early age. Do you think if you hadn't had that early age introduction you'd have started drinking coffee?[/QUOTE]

Hi Dante,

Nice to read your long story. They do drink a lot of tea in England and got to used to it. And I think we have hera same situation you do get used to drink it since childhood or from the age of teenage. For me I do like to the odour of coffee maybe more than the taste although there are very different kind of coffee to be selected. I think it is more a habit and of course a drug. It does not calm me. Maybe I would have chosen hot chocolate but with my sisters we all started with coffee.

About a year ago I drank green tea first in the morning with a fruit but slowly I did started to drink again coffee. I should drink so little that the symptoms won't come if I do not drink regularly. I do get terrible headache sometimes lack of coffein. I'll read your article soon.

Best utR!

utR!
04-14-2016, 01:12 PM
My dad was a big coffee drinker but I didn't start drinking coffee until junior or senior year of college, every day by grad school; I don't wake up easily and I found it made early classes more intelligible. :P I eventually ended up at 8 to 10 cups a day (yes, a fast metabolizer), although these days 4 to 6 per day is more common.

You can drink so many cups I do end up with that amount perhaps having problems with heartburn so I do kept cups about 4 per day and stop drinking after 18:00. I may be slow metabolizer....

Best
utR1

utR!
04-14-2016, 01:16 PM
I love coffee, starting with its smell. Besides, if I don't drink coffee I get an headache so I guess I'm addicted. I drink it with milk or black, without sugar. I never drink instant coffee. When I'm in Portugal I also enjoy the local espresso (bica). According to 23andme I'm a fast metabolizer so theoretically I could drink before going to bed but in practice I only drink twice a day, in the morning and after lunch (which is usually a light meal).

Yes the smell or odour or what it is called is the best. And right kind of milling too.

Best

utR!

utR!
04-14-2016, 01:20 PM
I like coffee, according to 23andme I am a slow metabolizer.

I drink at most now, one cup per day and have tea about once or twice a day as well. I don't need caffeine to wake up but drink tea out of habit in the morning. If I had a good i.e. expensive coffee maker, I might drink coffee in the morning. I like cappuccinos, flat whites, piccolos. Not black and not too sweet, I don't add syrups or sugar anymore to coffee or tea.

Coffee can sometimes taste bitter to me, if I use capsules, light coffee tastes better to me.

Thinking now about getting a coffee this afternoon....

I do have Braun coffee maker. You can have ja waterfilter in it and it may help a bit the taste of fresh coffee.

utR!

Dante
04-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Nice to read your long story. They do drink a lot of tea in England and got to used to it. And I think we have hera same situation you do get used to drink it since childhood or from the age of teenage

About a year ago I drank green tea first in the morning with a fruit but slowly I did started to drink again coffee. I should drink so little that the symptoms won't come if I do not drink regularly. I do get terrible headache sometimes lack of coffein. I'll read your article soon.

Best utR!

I didn’t start drinking tea in England. As grandma always said most restaurants sold tea that was dishwater quality – very weak – and this is why she couldn’t stand American coffee as it was likewise very weak. She was French from an area between Lyon & Turin and given as a cousin there makes a cup of coffee so strong it is like drinking tar I can understand her concept of either drink been weak.

I actually started drinking tea oh about my 17th maybe 18th birthday when I moved to one of the Asiatic countries for education. “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”; everyone was drinking tea so I likewise took up drinking tea. Relatives lived nearby – constantly visited them during breaks, weekends, summer, etc. – and eventually “begged”, would be the closest English word, one of the older family members (not the European / my side; rather the very Asiatic family that intermarried into) to be taught the specifics behind traditional tea ceremony.

The rest, as they say, is history.

As for coffee. I have always looked at it this way. If something creates such a dependency that one feels ill if they don’t get their “fix” – you mentioning bad headaches, need to vomit – it can’t really be good for you. Things that are good for you generally [I]don’t make you sick. If they did I’d expect people to be getting migraines & upchucking every time they ate a salad. And if things that made you sick really are good for you then we should be shoveling E. coli infected foods down our throats left, right & center instead of recalling anything with the tiniest indication of contamination.

Until these last few years, coffee was to some degree considered bad for you. Bad for your heart, bad for your health. Google it, you’ll rarely find a “good coffee” article older than 2007-09. As like booze / wine now been “good” and high meat diets now been “good” I wouldn’t doubt that “good” coffee is just a selling gimmick.

Cinnamon orange
04-14-2016, 07:13 PM
I do have Braun coffee maker. You can have ja waterfilter in it and it may help a bit the taste of fresh coffee.

utR!

I don't have a coffee maker, because I think I would need a pretty expensive one to make it to my taste. Not a drip type coffee maker. I do have a French Press (bodum) that we use from time to time but prefer coffee out. Even then I am particular about where I will drink coffee, if it is not good it is not worth it to me. I suppose maybe because I am a bitter taster but I don't like a lot of coffee. Agree that water quality as well as bean makes a difference.

J Man
04-14-2016, 09:17 PM
I like it. Usually I can only drink one a day. Any more than that and I feel strange. I do not drink it everyday though either. I drink mainly Tim Horton's dark roast coffee. Gotta keep it Canadian eh!!!! :P

GMan71
04-14-2016, 10:23 PM
Unfortunately I'm not a coffee fan at all - dont like the taste. I say unfortunately as people get much enjoyment from it so I feel I'm missing out!
Drink a lot of tea though - bog standard tea bags usually or English Breakfast but if I want a heart starter in winter I will have a lapsang souchong.

Volat
04-14-2016, 11:12 PM
I abused coffee (caffeine) in my undergraduate years. I liked to go out with my friends. To keep up with my studies I had stay awake till 4:00 am in the morning. I felt the effects as I got older. I stopped drinking coffee and tea. I drink rooibos (south-african herbal tea) now. Most of the time I drink spring water.

utR!
09-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Why drinking beer is not considered not so bad than drinking coffee? Which one would you take for with you coffee or beer when you are left alone on the small island? I think I would like to have coffee but I think it won't last long... and it may taste better than lukewarm beer or so.

Best utR!

icebreaker
09-05-2016, 07:58 PM
I like espresso very much and also Turkish coffee occasionally.

George Chandler
09-06-2016, 12:56 AM
Love coffee! I can drink a pot of the strongest coffee before bed and (other than the washroom) it doesn't keep me up at all. I refuse to give up coffee even if it isn't that good for you..and I debate that. The best coffee that I've ever tasted has been from spice shops in the Near East. It picks up a flavor that I've never been able to replicate.

George

curiousII
09-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Where I live the local 7-11's are getting really liberal with their coffee. They have a couple of blend choices, but now they have vanilla powder and syrup, teeny little marshmallows that melt in your coffee (probably vanilla, too), all kinds of powders and syrups that let you make a really artisan drink. Plus, they have those little plastic containers with French Vanilla and extra caffeine. And, if the ice isn't melted, there's cool whip sometimes. You can really creative.

And there's this place: http://www.betterbuzzcoffee.com/home They really have good coffee, makes you forget all about Starbucks.

Now, why all the promo on caffeinated drinks now? Way back when, coffee was coffee. Folgers or Hills Brothers, it was something your mom and dad drank while you had them buy you a Coke. But something happened back in the '80s when it became legal to sell caffeine pills. You'd see them advertised in things like the biker magazines they had then, but not so much in commonly read ones like Time or something. You'd get a few thousand pills for $50 or something, which was kind of a lot of money back then.

Thinking about it, this happened about the same time there was a crack down (funny) on drug use. Things like "truck driver" or "bennies" pills became scarce, and that's what a lot of people used back then for extra energy. Really, mom's like them just as much as long haul truck drivers. Oddly those amphetamine pills became scarce at the same time crack cocaine became a common media subject. No idea what that means, but somehow caffeine pills became legal as bennies became scarce.

Now we have all the caffeinated drinks like Rockstar and Monster, and all the coffee shops that really cater to a customer's need for that extra boost at a socially acceptable environment. Makes you wonder how many people just skip the coffee at the 7-11's and just drink a dozen or so caffeine shooters. Some stores keep those behind the counter and you have to ask for one; some people come in and drink them all.

Coffee shops are really fashionable here, there's many that have patio seating. Not giving any promos to any one store, but there's a nursery down the street from me that sells plants. But for some reason you'll see really stunningly beautiful women sitting in the patio area drinking coffee and/or tea, not buying plants at all. I mean really beautiful, you don't usually see that in public and in such numbers. So, coffee isn't only fun to drink now, it's become a real commodity to the young and attractive. Socially that's a real change from the housewife percing up a pot of Folgers and the trucker in the truck stop filling up his thermos. Bennies are gone, Starbucks is in. Really, no idea what that nursery is up to, but those are really unbelievably beautiful women sitting around outside in the patio. Coffee hasn't made them fat yet, and if they have bad breath I don't think anyone would care.

utR!
09-17-2016, 05:00 PM
"Thinking about it, this happened about the same time there was a crack down (funny) on drug use. Things like "truck driver" or "bennies" pills became scarce, and that's what a lot of people used back then for extra energy. Really, mom's like them just as much as long haul truck drivers. Oddly those amphetamine pills became scarce at the same time crack cocaine became a common media subject. No idea what that means, but somehow caffeine pills became legal as bennies became scarce.

Now we have all the caffeinated drinks like Rockstar and Monster, and all the coffee shops that really cater to a customer's need for that extra boost at a socially acceptable environment. Makes you wonder how many people just skip the coffee at the 7-11's and just drink a dozen or so caffeine shooters. Some stores keep those behind the counter and you have to ask for one; some people come in and drink them all.

Coffee shops are really fashionable here, there's many that have patio seating. Not giving any promos to any one store, but there's a nursery down the street from me that sells plants. But for some reason you'll see really stunningly beautiful women sitting in the patio area drinking coffee and/or tea, not buying plants at all. I mean really beautiful, you don't usually see that in public and in such numbers. So, coffee isn't only fun to drink now, it's become a real commodity to the young and attractive. Socially that's a real change from the housewife percing up a pot of Folgers and the trucker in the truck stop filling up his thermos. Bennies are gone, Starbucks is in. Really, no idea what that nursery is up to, but those are really unbelievably beautiful women sitting around outside in the patio. Coffee hasn't made them fat yet, and if they have bad breath I don't think anyone would care."
[/QUOTE]

Hi curiusII

Time has changed a lot since what it was over 50-60 years ago. The selection of coffee is huge and also prices varies a lot. This weekend you do get 5 x 500 g coffee package 10 euros in our local supermarket.

I remember once I bought caffeine pills from the pharmacy. You needed to ask them and I was looked at a bit weird way. I bought them because of travelling to St. Petersburg. Coffee in the hotel was so week and during the day we only drank tea so I thought I needed them (fear of bad headache). Once I used and then forget them. I do not know are there any for sale any more.

utR!

Calas
01-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Black. Colombian, Ethiopian or Kenyan please. And skip the instant coffee thanks.

Now people with medical concerns should keep it to a moderation. I don't, but still one cup will do.

utR!
08-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Hey,

The Journal of Nutrition:

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article-abstract/148/8/1315/5050671?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Men need to drink more coffee now(over 2 cups) or not?

Stranger
08-13-2018, 03:52 PM
I'm a coffee junky. Everyday.

shazou
04-07-2019, 12:40 PM
I would totally love it... IF I had lived primarily in a cold-weathered type of environment, but I don't..therefore I mostly prefer drinking ice cold soda pop/ coca-cola on the normal occasion instead

I would drink coffee only if I were inside a very fancy coffee shop in the city where inside there was ice cold air-conditioning in there at the same time haha