PDA

View Full Version : Where in the world are my features most common

ljvisintainer
08-03-2015, 10:25 AM
I have been told i look spanish russian german french and even middle eastern. I am 6 foot slim but broad in the chest and shoulders long limbs shorter torso. I have green eyes although they may be hazel (see photos) I can be really pale but tan to a bronzish color very quickly with no burning, my hair is brown with some golden in it my beard is the same with a touch of red. I have included some photos of my morphology let me know where you think these traits are most common. I am adopted and just interested in finding out as i have a hard time finding someone similar.

GTC
08-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Had you only posted photo #2, I would have guessed German/Scandinavian. Photo #1 gives me pause for thought -- can't pick that one.

Have you considered DNA testing?

ljvisintainer
08-03-2015, 11:02 AM
What is the best testing to get any good company's? I know my sociological last name was freeze I believe its a variant of fries.

ljvisintainer
08-03-2015, 11:06 AM
I was thinking of the ancestry.com test but it has had mixed reviews.

miiser
08-03-2015, 11:11 AM
I'd guess Polish from the photos, and Poland happens to be in the middle of all the other locations you suggested.

ljvisintainer
08-03-2015, 11:14 AM
I'd guess Polish from the photos, and Poland happens to be in the middle of all the other locations you suggested.

actually that makes alot of since what about the eyes would you classify them as green or hazel and where are the predominant, i cant seem to find anyone with the same color combination.

Arbogan
08-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Generic north european. No specific ethnic features.

ljvisintainer
08-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Generic north european. No specific ethnic features.

would you say more alpine, Nordic dinaric Mediterranean, or east balkan

GTC
08-03-2015, 11:38 AM
I was thinking of the ancestry.com test but it has had mixed reviews.

I'm not a big fan of Ancestry.com for a number of reasons, which I won't go into.

I have done Relative Finder (since renamed) with 23andMe and a host of tests with FTDNA. Between the two of them, I think I have it pretty well covered, for the time being.

At FTDNA:

Y-STRs to 111
Full Mitochondrial
Family Finder
Big Y

ljvisintainer
08-03-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm not a big fan of Ancestry.com for a number of reasons, which I won't go into.

I have done Relative Finder (since renamed) with 23andMe and a host of tests with FTDNA. Between the two of them, I think I have it pretty well covered, for the time being.

At FTDNA:

Y-STRs to 111
Full Mitochondrial
Family Finder
Big Y

can you pm the websites for those?

GTC
08-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Here they are:

https://www.23andme.com/

https://www.familytreedna.com/

ljvisintainer
08-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Here they are:

https://www.23andme.com/

https://www.familytreedna.com/

thanks ill look into it. do you know of any origins for the following surnames Feeze or Champion

GTC
08-03-2015, 12:07 PM
do you know of any origins for the following surnames Feeze or Champion

I believe that Champion may have French roots. Can't speak for Freeze.

Suggest Googling those surnames.

ljvisintainer
08-03-2015, 12:13 PM
I believe that Champion may have French roots. Can't speak for Freeze.

Suggest Googling those surnames.

Thanks, I have googled it and I cant seem to find any history what so ever on Freeze my only guess is it is a more recent derivative of another surname the closest i can think of would be fritz or friese. Again thanks for your suggestions will def look into the DNA testing.

GTC
08-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Thanks, I have googled it and I cant seem to find any history what so ever on Freeze my only guess is it is a more recent derivative of another surname the closest i can think of would be fritz or friese.

I would think that Freeze is a rather unusual name. I can't recall knowing or hearing of anybody with the spelling Freeze. Of course, surnames are often spelled phonetically by a variety of people down through the ages, so there can be a great variation.

will def look into the DNA testing.

The range of tests on offer at (say) FTDNA can be bamboozling at first, so it's good to have a strategy. Y-DNA tests are aimed at finding paternal relatives, and it works best when you have a lead on a surname, but can unearth matches on an unexpected surname, too.

Autosomal DNA tests, like 23andMe and Family Finder, can find matches on both your paternal and maternal lines. Problem is, that it's often difficult -- or impossible -- to know which close cousin matches found by those tools are on the paternal or maternal side. Having a parent also test allows those tools to indicate which side is which.

Mitochondrial DNA tests for your mother's line right back. That is, her mother's, mother's, mother's, ... etc, mother. One big problem with mt DNA matches is that oftentimes women don't have a good bead on their own line because of surname changes with marriage, and also because historical marriage records often omit the surname of the wife. This varies within cultures.

Your Y and mt haplogroups can sometimes help establish/suggest a region/ethnicity. However, if you're basically of European roots -- like the majority of men who have tested to date -- you won't usually get very good definition from your haplogroup. But you may be lucky.

ljvisintainer
08-03-2015, 12:31 PM
I would think that Freeze is a rather unusual name. I can't recall knowing or hearing of anybody with the spelling Freeze. Of course, surnames are often spelled phonetically by a variety of people down through the ages, so there can be a great variation.

The range of tests on offer at (say) FTDNA can be bamboozling at first, so it's good to have a strategy. Y-DNA tests are aimed at finding paternal relatives, and it works best when you have a lead on a surname, but can unearth matches on an unexpected surname, too.

Autosomal DNA tests, like 23andMe and Family Finder, can find matches on both your paternal and maternal lines. Problem is, that it's often difficult -- or impossible -- to know which close cousin matches found by those tools are on the paternal or mater side. Having a parent also test allows those tools to indicate which side is which.

Mitochondrial DNA tests for your mother's line right back. That is, her mother's, mother's, mother's, ... etc, mother.

I am very new to this I love anthropology and the miraculous of the human species at that, sorry for all my questions. I have a twin that was adopted with me being a girl would her test show details that maybe mine wouldn't. I know my dads surname was freeze and my mothers was champion, That is pretty much all I know about my biological family. It would be cool to discover my roots what would you suggest I start with as far as testing?

GTC
08-03-2015, 12:41 PM
I am very new to this I love anthropology and the miraculous of the human species at that, sorry for all my questions. I have a twin that was adopted with me being a girl would her test show details that maybe mine wouldn't. I know my dads surname was freeze and my mothers was champion, That is pretty much all I know about my biological family. It would be cool to discover my roots what would you suggest I start with as far as testing?

I added a few sentences above in addition to what you quoted.

As females don't have a Y chromosome, Y-DNA tests are not applicable. mt DNA and autosomal DNA are their test choices.

Given that you have the surnames of the biological parents, then you are starting from a pretty good position to recognize DNA matches by surname.

I'd start with maybe just yourself, as you can ascertain your Y haplogroup which, as I mentioned above, can possibly suggest a region of recent origin -- recent in the sense of within historical times.

MikeWhalen
08-03-2015, 02:16 PM
My first impression was Germanish, going back to your original question

GTC is very knowledgeable and I support what he said generally.

some of your choices with testing comes down to how much money you can spend, some tests are 'better bangs for the bucks' than others and not all advice on this forum always recognizes that...the good news is the cost has lowered a great deal the last few years---I have had testing with most of the companies out there

I would start with an STR Y test...at at least 67 markers....it is the only thing that really tracks down your fathers fathers line and if you get lucky, you might find a bunch of matches that either hint, or out right tell you of a geniologically hot spot that will help nail down that ethnicity. Y dna testing also has the virtue of being a bit more simple and straight forward to deal with...at least it was for me
your y dna can also hint at what your haplogroup is, and that can give you a better idea of what kind of SNP/autosomal test to get, if money is an issue

...the big SNP/autosomal tests like 23&me are fascinating and can give a ton of info, but none of it is easily accessible, all of it has a bit of a steep learning curve and while there are many on this site willing to help, I feel its a bit of a tough road for a newbie to first go on to and many end up frustrated

These kind of tests with SNP's can tell you of your deep ancestry, as in several thousand years ago, and the autosomal can tell you of more recent but as noted before, many find the autosomal info confusing and none of the testing companies take your hand and lead you through it

Depending on sale prices of all the larger tests, I would also suggest the National Geographic Project Geno 2 test...https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/
it can be a fairly good into test as it gives Y and Mtdna SNP testing and autosomal as well, with some decent explanation

but my recommendation is a 67 Y dna marker test from FTdna-that will get you into the genetics side of the hobby and let you pursue something while soaking up all the various info and testing available

good luck

Mike

khanabadoshi
08-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Obviously I am not the most qualified to distinguish between European features, but my immediate thought was German as well. What threw me off were the eyes. Awesome mix of color, like the waters of a coral reef. That seems unique to me, and more of a eastern Europe/North Central Asian trait.

AJL
08-03-2015, 06:13 PM
My first impression was Germanish, going back to your original question

Freeze -- probably from Froese or Vrieze. So, likely German or Dutch or Belgian.

miiser
08-03-2015, 08:52 PM
actually that makes alot of since what about the eyes would you classify them as green or hazel and where are the predominant, i cant seem to find anyone with the same color combination.

Based on the photos, if I had to pick one or the other I'd lean toward your eyes being hazel. But I think the more sophisticated eye color studies wouldn't force this sort of over simplification, but would just say bluish on the perimeter and yellowish on the interior or something like that.

I don't know off hand what eye colors are common in Poland. But based on just anecdotal evidence, a Google search for Polish eye color gives quite a few results that say blue and bluish green. I think there is probably quite a bit of eye color variety within Eastern Europe, and no locale has a single predominant eye color as far as I know. But I think it's at least safe to say that your eye color exists with some significant frequency in Poland and is not inconsistent with Polish ancestry.

surbakhunWeesste
08-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Based on those pics, I would say Austria for maybe Netherlands.

I read somewhere blue green eyes are common around Hungary and Germany.

I have few family members with your kind of eye color but its not indicative of anything. I am a South-Central Asian and its not common in that region.

08-03-2015, 09:27 PM
[MOD] Welcome to the forum.

Please note that "guess ethnicity/region" threads are no longer hosted on this forum. As you're a newer user and wouldn't have seen the messages others had, there aren't any problems along those lines:

Please be informed that the "Guess Ethnicity" subsection is due to be permanently closed. The administration has arrived at this decision as we deem the content here inevitably detracts too greatly from the forum's emphasis on current genetics and anthropology despite earlier stipulations.

Although the content here is largely harmless, this subsection has received a disproportionate amount of attention from our staff given its' size. I understand some of our members may be disappointed with this, but our prevailing intention has been to support neutral and free discussion of discourse specific to both genetics and anthropology. Our team is entirely comprised of volunteers with full-time real life responsibilities (including yours truly) and the level of upkeep is not justifiable for a subsection that isn't within the framework of current genetics or anthropology.

As you haven't tested and received all sorts of informative replies from the community, this thread will be moved to the Newbie Corner shortly (1 week redirect, OP will be informed by rep point).

Please otherwise refrain from continuing the discussion along the lines of ethnicity guessing to keep in line with forum policy. Thanks.

Calamus
08-03-2015, 09:54 PM
The Norwegian surname Friis is pronounced Freeze, so that could also be a possibility.

Reith
08-04-2015, 01:10 PM
I would say you look German, more west than east

Reith
08-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Where were you born? Could help with considering the major ethnic backgrounds in the area.

ljvisintainer
08-04-2015, 09:36 PM
I was born in the United states my biological father was from Pennsylvania not sure about my mom I think she was from North Carolina. I though it could be dutch being my dad is from Pennsylvania.

Ashley87
08-16-2015, 06:00 PM
You're American - literal mixing pot. Your description itself says so - pale but tan in the sun. Most true Nords burn in the sun. That would indicate a vague / generalized Mediterranean root [either straight from the Mediterranean itself or some distant relation - e.g. Mexican] for the "tanning" gene as your skin possesses enough melatonin to tan. As for your surname as per a website I have that IDes surnames by % per country worldwide your surname is predominantly American as are the varations except Freyze [Russian] and Frey/Freys [50/50 split between Germany & US - though it has French roots].

Eye color - sadly such is irrelevant. Northern populations are not the only ones with green / hazel eyes. The infamous Afghan girl of the 1985 National Geographic for example. Iraqi & Kurdish populations likewise have green eyes.

As for Nordic / Germanic appearance - anyone and their mother can pause for such due to population movement. I am oftentimes mistakenly thought of as English / UKer due to my "features" [particularly after putting on a bit of weight due to an injury which softens the features], however, on both sides of my family I am predominantly Nordic.

However, you yourself don't have any remarkably Nordic / Scandinavian features. I'll tell you that right off the bat. My family is predominantly Nordic / old Frisian Germanic on my father's side, however, unlike the general dime-a-dozen person nowadays who is a mix of everything.... my father's DNA is extremely rare and extremely old [his mother's side alone has more than 1,000 years of history] and his father's side even older. I even pulled up some photos of friends in Sweden whose families are from Nössemark [on the Norway/Sweden borderline].

You bear vague resemblance - nothing to note.

You look - particularly in photo #2 - remarkably like my mother's brother whose father is from an old French-basque family.

I would suggest DNA testing to get an idea of your dna. Guessing on features due to the movement of various populations is too vague to be even close to accurate unless you come from an extremely remote / isolated population where there's no doubt.

leonardo
08-16-2015, 06:15 PM
I would encourage to test your autosomal dna. I believe Ancestry.com has a sale until tomorrow, maybe $79?

Cascio
01-22-2016, 02:19 PM
"Freeze" could be related to Frisia/Frisian from the Dutch and German coastlands.
It certainly sounds like the Dutch word for a Frisian.

WilliamAllan
01-22-2016, 04:32 PM
Freeze -- probably from Froese or Vrieze. So, likely German or Dutch or Belgian.

My guess is Dutch. I've researched families from the Hudson & Mohawk valleys of New York where the Dutch settled rather thickly and I'm quite sure I've come across this name before--spelling varies of course.

MatAust21
01-29-2016, 05:03 PM
Based on your looks, you appear rather northern than southern European, but you can't rely 100% on looks when it comes to ancestry. I've met quite a few Italians and Iberians that I would have guessed to be Dutch or Scandinavian.

As others suggested, you should get your autosomal DNA tested. Afterwards, you can post your results here for other forum members to give their interpretation.

MatAust21
01-29-2016, 05:07 PM
This is what Ancestry.com says about the last name Freeze:

"Freeze Name Meaning: Altered spelling of Frees(e) or Fries(e)"

"Frees Name Meaning: Variant of Dutch Frese or German Fries, ethnic names for someone from Friesland."

"Freese Name Meaning: North German form of Fries 1.Dutch: variant of Frese.English: metonymic occupational name for a weaver of frieze, a coarse woolen cloth with a thick nap, Old French frise."

"Friese Name Meaning: German, Dutch, Danish, and Swedish: variant of Fries."

"Fries Name Meaning: ethnic name for someone from Friesland. The name of this region is ancient and of uncertain origin; the most plausible speculation derives it from an Indo-European root prei- ‘to cut’, with reference to the dikes necessary for the cultivation of low-lying land. There is archaeological evidence of the construction of ditches and dams along the southern shores of the North Sea from at least the time of Christ.occupational name for a builder of dams and dikes. The word was used in this sense in various parts of Germany during the Middle Ages, and is probably a transferred use of the ethnic term, dike building being a characteristic occupation of Frieslanders.diminutive of Friedrich."

SwampThing27
01-30-2016, 06:29 AM
I would have guessed German or Dutch