PDA

View Full Version : Why does Iceland appear in CoA for an East Asian?

Zionas
08-04-2015, 12:05 PM
There is an Icelandic woman who shares an 8.3cM segment with me, but I have no European component in my 23andMe ancestry composition. However, I have less than 0.1% SSA on chromosome 22 and she has 0.9 to 1.2% SSA in her AC, depending on the mode of confidence. In her speculative mode she has 0.1% Yakut. Is it simply because she shares a large enough segment with me, that she has some of my DNA rather than the other way around? Thanks.

I don't know of a single period in Chinese history involving contact with Scandinavians. Once again, I have no European in my ancestral composition, so this baffles me.

I am pretty sure that my tiny amount of SSA is very ancient DNA. Since I'm southern Chinese, it could likely come from some Negrito in the very distant past.

Stephen1986
08-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Are her initials CB? Myself and an American cousin share with an Icelandic woman (who uses a patronymic rather than the usual -dottir name an Icelandic woman would use, so I think she might live in the US or Canada and therefore her surname might have stayed with the patronymic.). She's also the only Icelandic person I've seen on 23andMe so far.

evon
08-04-2015, 02:04 PM
I know whom you talk about, she is also my cousin, she has black Caribbean Ancestry from her great great grandmother if I remember correct and also some distant German ancestry. So the common ancestry could be via Africa since you also have SSA %, but other than that here has been Chinese and other East Asian migrations and slaves in the Americas, so that could also be a common point...

I see the segment you share with her, you should ask to share with as many people as possible whom are located on that region via CoA, then try to triangulate it..

Zionas
08-04-2015, 02:18 PM
She sent me a PM telling me about how one of her ancestors, an African-Caribbean slave, got sold to Iceland. There were also Chinese workers in Caribbean countries such as Jamaica.

Zionas
08-04-2015, 02:20 PM
No, I think she lives in Norway. So, I guess it's because she shares SSA and possibly some East Asian with me, not because I have European. Funny thing is, the Vietnamese guy who shared genomes with me has 0.2% European in both spec and standard, and his top 3 countries of ancestry are all Asian.

ADW_1981
08-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Probably false positive. My mother has a match from India and another from Pakistan, my father from Nepal. (all 4gp) It's nothing and I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but it seems a bit late for that.

Stephen1986
08-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Yeah, one of my Jamaican cousins shows a small amount of East Asian ancestry in her AC.

evon
08-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Probably false positive. My mother has a match from India and another from Pakistan, my father from Nepal. (all 4gp) It's nothing and I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but it seems a bit late for that.

Being British those are likely Colonial era matches, lots of Brits and people from other former imperial countries have such matches..So dont dismiss them so easily..

She sent me a PM telling me about how one of her ancestors, an African-Caribbean slave, got sold to Iceland. There were also Chinese workers in Caribbean countries such as Jamaica.

Yes, it could be via common Chinese ancestry, or African both linked to the Caribbean region..

Scarlet Ibis
08-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Please don't give out the real name of private individuals.

Zionas
08-04-2015, 03:50 PM
She has 0.1% Yakut in her speculative mode. She has no Chinese component. I believe it's due to our shared SSA segment. My SSA percentage is less than 0.1% so I'm sure it is very ancient. I'm from southern China so it could be ancient Negrito DNA. The connection to the Caribbean seems like fantasy.

evon
08-04-2015, 04:55 PM
She has 0.1% Yakut in her speculative mode. She has no Chinese component. I believe it's due to our shared SSA segment. My SSA percentage is less than 0.1% so I'm sure it is very ancient. I'm from southern China so it could be ancient Negrito DNA. The connection to the Caribbean seems like fantasy.

There is no correlation between AC and CoA, you cant use them to compare segments like that, and Yakut in Europe is common at low levels, not connected to Chinese as such.

evon
08-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Regarding the possible Caribbean link:

Chinese diaspora to Caribbean:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Caribbean

Chinese and other East Asian slaves in Mexico:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Mexican

Chinese and other East Asian slaves in Peru:

http://www.mccunn.com/Slave-Trade.html

Chinese and other East Asian slaves in Latin America in general:

https://ssclinguafranca.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/the-other-slavery-chinese-coolies-in-latin-america/

So my guess is either you had an ancestor who ended up in the Americas, but whom you are not directly descendant of, like with your fathers brother, which the Icelander is descendant of via her Caribbean ancestor. Alternatively the movement of DNA went from the Caribbean region to China, it might explain your SSA%.

But SSA% in China could have arrived by many routes (Sea route is a good guess), especially during the Tang and later Yuan dynasties.

Zionas
08-05-2015, 02:08 AM
Thanks. So now I know not to take CoA seriously. It shows the DNA of your matches, not necessarily you.