PDA

View Full Version : Geno 2.0 and others & the R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack test

haleaton
08-04-2015, 08:41 PM
According to just checking The Genographic Project 705,343 people have taken the test, currently $199.95 in a Geno 2.0 “Next Generation” version. I don’t know what percentage of these is male.

According to their website, you can still transfer your Geno results to FTDNA for free, which will put you on the Haplotree and be eligible to order the $79 R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack test with enough information on your Y Haplogroup to make an informed choice to purchase it or not. FTDNA has no subscription fee.

For example, Geno 2.0 told me I am L2 but nothing lower which based our analysis of what is actually in the test would make such a person and ideal candidate to recruit, if they had some interest in learning more about their deep male ancestry and being part of discovering the hidden history of humanity inside our chemistry. I am sure FTDNA knows this and will work with The Genographic Project to develop marketing strategy which should be huge for them.

At one time you could post messages to other matches on The Genographic Project but that seems to have gone away.

23andMe also has a similar number of customers who pay $99 and, at least in my case, was able to tell I am L2. There is no transfer process to FTDNA, so they would have to take at least a FTDNA Y-STR 11 test for $49 (check this), though they don’t make it easy on their webpage to find anything but the $169 dollar 37 STR test. Then you are eligible to take the $79 R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack test based on an informed decision

Ancestry got out of the Y-DNA business, I understand, but you can transfer you STR results to FTDNA for $19, which I assume put you on the Haplotree and eligible to take the $79 R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack test. I never test Y at Ancestry so do not know if they predicted Y Haplogroup, but I would guess once your results are transferred FTDNA would then run a Haplogroup prediction. Does anybody know how many Y DNA tests Ancestry performed?

I would guess then that there are at least a few hundred thousand R1b men who potentially have an interest in the $79 R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack test. The key to making this fun for them is for the deeper testers to provide support on what the data means and then what they might want to do for further testing.

This is apart from rest of humanity who have never tested—which may be a much harder sell based just on learning your Y Haplogroup.

Is there any flaw in this?

For U152 & Subclades, based on a detailed analysis of what is actually in the test, these folks would be excellent candidates for the R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack test.

For the other major R1b groups is this also the case?

I created this separate thread in R1b so it can be about getting new testers rather than deeper clade issues and a test that is available now and also not so much about whether Y DNA testing has any merit at all, though we will probably have to go there . . . If you got this far, this post was TL;DR from the get go you should have known ;)

razyn
08-04-2015, 08:59 PM
I would guess then that there are at least a few hundred thousand R1b men who potentially have an interest in the $79 R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack test. The key to making this fun for them is for the deeper testers to provide support on what the data means and then what they might want to do for further testing.

This is apart from rest of humanity who have never tested—which may be a much harder sell based just on learning your Y Haplogroup.

Is there any flaw in this?

I can think of three possible wrenches in the gears, not really flaws (I sort of agree with your premise):

1) The process needs someone in charge, and FTDNA will leave that to volunteers, so probably it has to become somebody's project (read: obsession).

2) DF27 isn't on the chip, and a few tens of thousands of these guys are DF27. About half of them know it, or can know it, because Geno2 tested a lot of subclades of DF27 (but mainly on the Z195+ side). The Z195- people kind of worry me. M343 Backbone test as introduced will spot a few hundred of them.

3) Geno2 and 23andMe do not give them any STR results; people w/o STR results are invisible in FTDNA projects and can't really be "grouped."

haleaton
08-04-2015, 10:21 PM
I can think of three possible wrenches in the gears, not really flaws (I sort of agree with your premise):

1) The process needs someone in charge, and FTDNA will leave that to volunteers, so probably it has to become somebody's project (read: obsession).

2) DF27 isn't on the chip, and a few tens of thousands of these guys are DF27. About half of them know it, or can know it, because Geno2 tested a lot of subclades of DF27 (but mainly on the Z195+ side). The Z195- people kind of worry me. M343 Backbone test as introduced will spot a few hundred of them.

3) Geno2 and 23andMe do not give them any STR results; people w/o STR results are invisible in FTDNA projects and can't really be "grouped."

Really good points. I am also ignoring that some people tested at more than one company. I am also ignoring BritainsDNA and perhaps other companies customers that get you to a point you might want to buy this test.

1) I think FTDNA would handle the marketing part to expand their customer base to sell this and later other tests. Don't know if The Genographic Project gives FTDNA its customer contact info.
The Projects generally are public and show you groupings & SNPs and usually have public trees somewhere. A few, mostly surname projects, opted, for World Family Tree for some early reason. Transferring GENO 2.0 I think does give you access to the public FTDNA tree, I believe.

2) I don't know if you have Geno 2.0 transferred whether it provides Haplogroup based on existing public tree and you take DF27 Individual order whether is reassigns you Haplogroup and updates. I also do not know whether if you only have Geno 2.0 transferred data whether you can order individual SNPs--have to check that.

3) For 23andMe you would have to take STR test anyway to be able to take the M343 Backbone test.
Project access would be problematic if the volunteer admins do not get information and e-mail ability to people that only transfer their Geno 2.0--this must have come up before. I would hope they put them at least them on the SNP pages. It would be bummer if a bunch of Geno 2.0 only people, transferred their data, then took the M343 Backbone test but the Projects did not get the results. The STR pages when grouped well with comments are really a good thing because admins can group STRs w/o subclade determined by FTDNA--though doing it using YSEQ results I would assume FTDNA would really stamp down on that.

haleaton
08-14-2015, 12:42 AM
According to just checking The Genographic Project 705,343 people have taken the test, currently $199.95 in a Geno 2.0 “Next Generation” version. I don’t know what percentage of these is male.

Actually, to correct myself according to recent interview with Miguel Villar of The Genographic Project 520,000 were Geno 1.0 which I don't remember if it had any Y SNPs to determine upstream Haplogroup.

TigerMW
10-10-2015, 03:23 PM
I've been pressing FTDNA to give reasons for people to do STRs like incentives, etc. It's been like some of our discussions on SNP Packs. It seems like you have to be persistent and well-reasoned and then more persistent.