PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA Free Transfer from 23andMe

Mac von Frankfurt
08-07-2015, 03:10 PM
I recently bit on an ad to transfer my 23andMe data to FTDNA for free. What you get for free is 20 Family Finder matches. To open the rest of your matches costs $39. So I plunked down the $39 to see what I would get. I am not much of one to go off looking for cousins that are not in the line I am currently researching; for me these matches are a distraction. What I liked about FF was the ability to search peoples trees using surnames. Combining FF search functions and Ancestry.com I was able to quickly check if there was an obvious connection, respond to queries, and then get back to the line I am researching.

The Y-DNA transfer didn't go as well. Turns out FTDNA does not transfer (or won't acknowledge) the 23andMe SNPs. While I joined two Projects they have no data to compare. Here is the question I sent FTDNA and their response (which was quite speedy, to their credit)

I transferred from 23andMe and my Y-DNA haplogroup, R1b L21, is not showing up. How do I get my Y-DNA haplogroup to populate?

Dear Xxxx,

Thank you for contacting Family Tree DNA. What you transferred from 23andme was just the autosomal information. The transfer does not include Y-DNa. You would need to take that test with us in order for your haplogroup to show.

Best Regards,
Xxxxx X
Family Tree DNA
www.familytreedna.com

In conclusion I liked the Family Finder functionality (that just rolls off of the tongue) but was not thrilled about being baited out of $39 and was disappointed my Y-DNA did not transfer.

YMMV

(either "Your mileage may vary" or "your money may vanish", depending on I don't know what)

ArmandoR1b
08-07-2015, 04:40 PM
FTDNA uses STRs for matching and allowed Geno 2.0 Y-DNA SNP transfers because they are the lab that does the testing. Just having L21 show up in your profile wouldn't help much but you can put that in your About Me at https://www.familytreedna.com/my/account-settings.aspx

Have you had more advanced Y-DNA testing anywhere else? The Y-DNA testing at 23andme is extremely limited.

Mac von Frankfurt
08-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Have you had more advanced Y-DNA testing anywhere else? The Y-DNA testing at 23andme is extremely limited.

Thanks for the info on adding L21 to my Profile

I have an R1b L21 Panel pending at YSEQ.

ArmandoR1b
08-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the info on adding L21 to my Profile

I have an R1b L21 Panel pending at YSEQ.

If you are interested in finding matches in your direct paternal line the Y-DNA67 or Y-DNA111 test is still very useful for people in your haplogroup even with the FullGenomes and BigY tests on the market.

Mac von Frankfurt
08-07-2015, 07:23 PM
If you are interested in finding matches in your direct paternal line the Y-DNA67 or Y-DNA111 test is still very useful for people in your haplogroup even with the FullGenomes and BigY tests on the market.

I am definitely considering Y-DNA67 or Y-DNA111. Just waiting for my other results first.

JWillis
08-11-2015, 02:36 AM
Your observation on using FTDNA in combination with Ancestry is interesting to me. You have auDNA at Ancestry also? See, I was using FTDNA only for about two months. I found it absolutely maddening. While I could download the raw data matches by Chromosome, and sort the information in multiple different ways, I found two major problems .... 1. Most people at FTDNA are simply not interested in participating in the effort to find common Ancestors. They either don't have trees, or they set them to private mode. 2. The family tree software there is a miserable experience. It is simply too difficult to navigate. When you get before 1900 in most of my families, they all have 10+ children. It makes the tree a nightmare to work with. After a couple of weeks of beating my head against the wall at FTDNA ... I simply gave up. It was a complete waste of time and effort. I think I found one common ancestor after contacting close to 50 people there. Most didn't respond.

When my auDNA went live at Ancestry a couple week ago, I found the lack of access to the underlying Chromosome map maddening, at first. Then, I came to realize that the ease of use of their tools to search on common surnames and the automation of auDNA verification of ancestors was far superior to anything anyone else has. At Ancestry, not only can you find the surname overlaps, but clicking on the surname that overlaps brings up a list of all ancestors in opposing trees who have that surname, and key info on when, where they were born and died. That process of easy comparison put a halt to manual searching of trees and saved a ton of time and effort. It helped me clean up a number of family tree problems and helped me find a ton of new relatives. The problem though at Ancestry is the same as at FTDNA. My ancestors are simply not getting auDNA verified via Ancestry's DNA Circles function because there is not enough participation. I made a separate post about this tonight on another thread . Far too many people there don't connect their auDNA kits to their trees. It's not that they don't want too. It's that they don't understand the importance of doing it, and how to do it. Ancestry needs to find a way to up the participation rate so that their auDNA verification can be effective.

Bottom line ... I don't use FTDNA now. It's worthless. Ancestry is superior in terms of helping find and verify ancestors. But, it could be so much better if they'd just find a way to obtain significantly higher user participation rates, in both connecting kits to trees and in sharing trees.

I can tell you what bothers me most about both FTDNA and Ancestry though ... people who lock trees. It bug the $(#* out of me that they get free rein and access to our trees, yet they hide behind privacy for theirs. These services need to put an immediate halt to this ability. Either you participate, or you don't get access to everyone else's tree. No exceptions. Like all things in society, we achieve the greatest benefit when everyone fully participates.

And by the way, 23andMe ... they aren't even in the game. They're out in the parking lot smoking pot and wasting time. 23andMe is a complete joke as it pertains to DNA and Ancestry, family trees. Its shameful.

Mac von Frankfurt
08-11-2015, 04:39 AM
Your observation on using FTDNA in combination with Ancestry is interesting to me. You have auDNA at Ancestry also?

No, I just use Ancestry.com to search records and store my research notes. I typically do not contact DNA cousins but if they contact me I generally stop what I am doing and try to find a connection based on the surnames they have listed. If they do not list a surname that matches my nearest 64 surnames it is unlikely we will find the connection. I have never looked at chromosome data or shared mine. I am more of a microfiche and tombstone kind of guy.

Edit: Here is an example from this morning (names have been changed). I noticed a fellow on my 23andMe match list with the last name of Peep. I glanced at his tree in 23andMe and noticed a name I recognized that appeared to be a common ancestor. I searched my tree at Ancestry.com and found the common ancestor but I had not researched all of the children. I then looked at other trees in Ancestry.com to identify the potential link. I them sent this email to Mr. Peep.

Based on other people’s trees at Ancestry.com it appears that my GG Grandmother, Little Bo Peep (1858-1927) is the older sister of your William Robert Peep. Little Bo married Bradford Wolfe in 1877 in Polk County Missouri. I have not documented this line but I think it is a pretty solid lead.

MfA
08-11-2015, 06:43 PM
You can use this link to transfer your V3 23andMe, Ancestry genome file: https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomalTransfer?atdna=pmukutsYLz0SpSHev4kEGg%3d% 3d

Erik
08-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Please use this link: https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomalTransfer?atdna=kUeRDn%2fgglcFxljiXMTovg%3 d%3d

If I get 3 more people to transfer using this link, I get results for free. :)

MfA
08-11-2015, 10:07 PM
You can simply boost your referrals by uploading 4 genome files openly available on net by using your own referral code.
Here's a place where you can get these: https://my.pgp-hms.org/public_genetic_data?data_type=23andMe

Agamemnon
08-12-2015, 12:30 AM
It's a shame the transfer doesn't include Y-DNA, if it did I'd immediately transfer my maternal grandfather's relative's kit in order to find out which R1b-U152 subclade he belongs to.