PDA

View Full Version : Where "Should" Greek Cypriot Ancestry Appear?

OldAl
08-08-2015, 06:12 PM

My grandfather was a Greek Cypriot, and my grandmother was from Northwestern Greece. I'm showing 53.5% Northern European ancestry, 33.5% Southern European ancestry, 1.1% Eastern European ancestry and 9.5% Broadly European. The 1.9% Middle Eastern ancestry would make sense, and the Italian ancestry is definitely a sign of Greek non-mainland ancestry. So where does my grandfather play into this? I don't see him being part of the 21% Balkan. Would he be in the ~18% Broadly European/Southern European combination, or 21% with the Italian?

I'm assuming the Eastern European is from my fathers mother, which makes sense. My mother is nearly fully Northern European, her brother showed up as 81% British 10% Irish on ancestry DNA, which matches family records very well, which is what I imagine my Broadly Norther European is, giving me a percent in the 40s of British & Irish.

Typical Greek Cypriot DNA results seem to be around 50% European 50% Middle Eastern. A small reference pool for them is likely, too.

Any feedback is appreciated! I'm J1-P58 and H18b if it matters.

SonsOfHerakles
05-14-2018, 11:45 PM

My grandfather was a Greek Cypriot, and my grandmother was from Northwestern Greece. I'm showing 53.5% Northern European ancestry, 33.5% Southern European ancestry, 1.1% Eastern European ancestry and 9.5% Broadly European. The 1.9% Middle Eastern ancestry would make sense, and the Italian ancestry is definitely a sign of Greek non-mainland ancestry. So where does my grandfather play into this? I don't see him being part of the 21% Balkan. Would he be in the ~18% Broadly European/Southern European combination, or 21% with the Italian?

I'm assuming the Eastern European is from my fathers mother, which makes sense. My mother is nearly fully Northern European, her brother showed up as 81% British 10% Irish on ancestry DNA, which matches family records very well, which is what I imagine my Broadly Norther European is, giving me a percent in the 40s of British & Irish.

Typical Greek Cypriot DNA results seem to be around 50% European 50% Middle Eastern. A small reference pool for them is likely, too.

Any feedback is appreciated! I'm J1-P58 and H18b if it matters.

I know this is an old post, have you seen your updated results on 23andMe?
What town was your grandfather from? Maybe there is something about that particular place.
My results were also odd as I am half Sicilian/Cypriot and half Northern European.
23andMe
European
95.5%

Italian
23.5%
Italy 2 dots

Balkan
17.1%
Greece 2 dots

Eastern European
14.6%
Poland 2 dots