PDA

View Full Version : My annoyance with 23andMe matches

BalkanKiwi
08-09-2015, 08:39 AM
I don't normally rant but it seems warranted on this occasion. My biggest frustration with 23andMe, specifically the Countries of Ancestries feature, is most of my biggest matches have their profiles on private. For example I have a 10.7cM match who has a grandparent born in China, one born in Uzbekistan and the other two born in Kyrgyzstan. I'm very curious to find out more however there is no way to contact this person.

I have quite a few private Russian, Romanian and Polish matches between 8-10cM who are private who may be helpful. I've noticed, I may be wrong, that Eastern Europeans and Southern Europeans are very private people, compared to those from the United Kingdom or the U.S for example.

If someone's gone and bothered to fill out the Countries of Ancestry survey, they obviously have an interest in genealogy, yet they go and restrict themselves by stopping potential information sources from contacting them. I understand many people don't want to share private information, however all you have to do avoid putting any personal info on your profile. I wish there was a modified send message feature to private matches. I know many people have previously done 23andMe simply for the health features, which is fine. But if you've bothered to fill out ancestry info and refuse to allow potential matches contact you, then you're not helping yourself or anyone else.

It's a bit like doing Family Finder at FTDNA and telling people, "sorry, I'm not interested in matches, but I paid for a test specifically for that reason".

JWillis
08-12-2015, 04:36 AM
Don't waste your time over on 23andMe. I have a couple hundred matches there. Very few people there are interested in Ancestry. They're there for the health info. I migrated from there to FTDNA, where I had about a 1,000 matches. Again, lots of locked trees and few that would correspond and help. Then, I migrated to Ancestry, where I have over 6,000 matches. Again, a similar percentage have locked trees or don't want to help, but their database of users is so much more substantial that you have a much larger set of people with useful trees and a desire to help uncover additional ancestors. 23andMe is still in the womb. FTDNA is like a infant. Ancestry is the teenager among the testing services. We need an adult. We just don't have one yet. But, the best we've got right now is Ancestry, for those of us wanting to fully develop our family trees.

Dorkymon
08-12-2015, 03:07 PM
We are sharing on 23andme so we gucci. We are not related though, I checked. For those people that don't accept invitations in DNA relatives, I message them asking to invite me to share.
You are correct, Eastern Europeans are usually cautious and introverted towards people they are not familiarised with.

Ashley87
08-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Don't waste your time over on 23andMe. I have a couple hundred matches there. Very few people there are interested in Ancestry.

I'd agree with the wasting time - on another principle. My DNA is so rare on my father's side that there's virtually a handful of matches [less than 20] and nothing else worth considering [too distant a relation].

That and I believe it was some website I read which said the 23&me geneology aspect was a generation or two [computer / system wise] behind other such websites.

If you want to match, use gedmatch. It's a tad harder than 23&me to see the closeness of generations because it doesn't do it for you but the tables are simple enough to understand once you get it. If the person has supplied their information as public then their email is available to use if you desire.

leonardo
08-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Don't waste your time over on 23andMe. I have a couple hundred matches there. Very few people there are interested in Ancestry. They're there for the health info. I migrated from there to FTDNA, where I had about a 1,000 matches. Again, lots of locked trees and few that would correspond and help. Then, I migrated to Ancestry, where I have over 6,000 matches. Again, a similar percentage have locked trees or don't want to help, but their database of users is so much more substantial that you have a much larger set of people with useful trees and a desire to help uncover additional ancestors. 23andMe is still in the womb. FTDNA is like a infant. Ancestry is the teenager among the testing services. We need an adult. We just don't have one yet. But, the best we've got right now is Ancestry, for those of us wanting to fully develop our family trees.

This has been my experience as well. Using Gedmatch supplements these.

Stephen1986
08-16-2015, 07:47 PM
My brother and myself have over 2100 matches each on 23andMe and I've invited everyone who wasn't already public - maybe about 10% have accepted the invite, another 10% declined and the rest don't ever reply either way.