PDA

View Full Version : Anything unusual here?

JohnHowellsTyrfro
08-10-2015, 08:33 PM
I've traced my family quite a way back to the earlier 1800's and earlier. as far as I know my ancestors were the usual Welsh/English mix from close to the Wales/England border, no recent immigration impact as far as I know.
One if my Great grandmothers born in the 1820's had the unusual Christian name of Sabiah (Jones) which I believe is of Arabic origin and is more common in Muslim countries. This name could have been plucked from a romantic novel I suppose, but I have wondered if a comparatively recent female ancestor could have come from that part of the World? Up to now I've assumed non-European components are fairly old and not unusual. My genetic profile from Cymru Dna. Thanks.

Gray Fox
08-11-2015, 01:19 AM
I've traced my family quite a way back to the earlier 1800's and earlier. as far as I know my ancestors were the usual Welsh/English mix from close to the Wales/England border, no recent immigration impact as far as I know.
One if my Great grandmothers born in the 1820's had the unusual Christian name of Sabiah (Jones) which I believe is of Arabic origin and is more common in Muslim countries. This name could have been plucked from a romantic novel I suppose, but I have wondered if a comparatively recent female ancestor could have come from that part of the World? Up to now I've assumed non-European components are fairly old and not unusual. My genetic profile from Cymru Dna. Thanks.

Do they give you access to your raw data and if so, have you uploaded to gedmatch?

JohnHowellsTyrfro
08-11-2015, 05:38 AM
Do they give you access to your raw data and if so, have you uploaded to gedmatch?
Thanks.At the moment I've only tested with Cymru DNA chromo 2. I do have access to my raw data. Because I have a little-known U106 sub-group I am in contact with the U106 research group about undertaking further tests with FTDNA. I have offered the project to upload my raw data ( if I can work out how to do it ) but haven't received a response yet. I assume I could only up-load to Gedmatch if I take the new test? I'm not familiar with the processes. :)

dp
08-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks.At the moment I've only tested with Cymru DNA chromo 2. I do have access to my raw data. Because I have a little-known U106 sub-group I am in contact with the U106 research group about undertaking further tests with FTDNA. I have offered the project to upload my raw data ( if I can work out how to do it ) but haven't received a response yet. I assume I could only up-load to Gedmatch if I take the new test? I'm not familiar with the processes. :)
I believe, to upload to GEDmatch, you have to have an autosomal kit tested by 23andme, Ancestry or FamilyTreeDNA.
dp :-)