PDA

View Full Version : Y-DNA Testing Options Beyond 23andMe (for L21 but applicable to others)

Mac von Frankfurt
08-23-2015, 05:15 PM
I posted this in the 23andMe L21 thread. I can edit it so if anybody has recommendations for edits please feel free to chime in.

There are at least three options for deeper Y-DNA testing beyond what has been done by 23andMe. I will call these approaches the traditional, the deep explorer, and the lurker.

The traditional approach involves testing STRs (typically 67 to 111 markers) through FTDNA. Your haplogroup will then be predicted and you can join a project. After that you can test SNPs one at a time, in panels, or take the BigY which is the most extensive SNP test available through FTDNA. You will be part of the largest Y-DNA database available and get assistance from volunteer project administrators.

The deep explorer approach involves testing SNPs through Full Genome Corporation. The current test is called the Y Elite 2.0 and is reported to provide about 20 percent more coverage than BigY. Whether or not this additional coverage is particularly import for your Y chromosome is difficult to determine ahead of time, but if you want the most thorough Y-DNA test currently available the Y Elite 2.0 is it. Besides the larger number of SNPs you will also get over 400 STRs. Sharing your data and looking for matches will take more effort on your part. You can join the L21 Yahoo Group which provides spreadsheets you can use to evaluate matches. Another option is to have your FGC results analyzed by YFull at which point they will be added to the YFull database and tree. You can also release your results to The Big Tree and/or enter your results at Ysearch.

The lurker approach involves testing at YSEQ for either panels of SNPs or single SNPs in order to work your way along the tree one or two branches at a time. YSEQ has an L21 Panel as well as a M222 Panel. If you are L21 you can join Group 11 at YSEQ which will make your results available to the project administrators that look there. You will not be part of the FTDNA database and you will not be on the cutting edge but you will be able to follow the progress in Y-DNA testing and know where you fit in. The Big Tree appears to include data from Group 11 and you can join a Yahoo group but you won’t have enough information for a YFull analysis.

paulgill
08-24-2015, 12:23 AM
I posted this in the 23andMe L21 thread. I can edit it so if anybody has recommendations for edits please feel free to chime in.

There are at least three options for deeper Y-DNA testing beyond what has been done by 23andMe. I will call these approaches the traditional, the deep explorer, and the lurker.

The traditional approach involves testing STRs (typically 67 to 111 markers) through FTDNA. Your haplogroup will then be predicted and you can join a project. After that you can test SNPs one at a time, in panels, or take the BigY which is the most extensive SNP test available through FTDNA. You will be part of the largest Y-DNA database available and get assistance from volunteer project administrators.

The deep explorer approach involves testing SNPs through Full Genome Corporation. The current test is called the Y Elite 2.0 and is reported to provide about 20 percent more coverage than BigY. Whether or not this additional coverage is particularly import for your Y chromosome is difficult to determine ahead of time, but if you want the most thorough Y-DNA test currently available the Y Elite 2.0 is it. Besides the larger number of SNPs you will also get over 400 STRs. Sharing your data and looking for matches will take more effort on your part. You can join the L21 Yahoo Group which provides spreadsheets you can use to evaluate matches. Another option is to have your FGC results analyzed by YFull at which point they will be added to the YFull database and tree. You can also release your results to The Big Tree and/or enter your results at Ysearch.

The lurker approach involves testing at YSEQ for either panels of SNPs or single SNPs in order to work your way along the tree one or two branches at a time. YSEQ has an L21 Panel as well as a M222 Panel. If you are L21 you can join Group 11 at YSEQ which will make your results available to the project administrators that look there. You will not be part of the FTDNA database and you will not be on the cutting edge but you will be able to follow the progress in Y-DNA testing and know where you fit in. The Big Tree appears to include data from Group 11 and you can join a Yahoo group but you won’t have enough information for a YFull analysis.

Not exactly related but there might be another useful option coming in near future. http://www.technologyreview.com/news...e-for-genomes/

thetick
08-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Not exactly related but there might be another useful option coming in near future. http://www.technologyreview.com/news...e-for-genomes/

Your link above is bad. As I get "Sorry, but that page cannot be found."