PDA

View Full Version : Hair colour in the Balkans

Boudicca
12-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Hi,
I hope this is in the right area but I was just wondering whether red hair is common in the Balkans? My mother has just had a relative accept her invite at 23andme and they are from Albania. They say that a few members on their maternal side have red hair and blue eyes which makes them think they have some North Euro ancestry, but looking at their Ancestry Composition and Ancestry Finder results this doesn't seem to be the case-they have only 1 100% Swedish match at 8cM! No Brits, Norwegians, Irish etc.
Their Ancestry Composition is 98% Balkan 1% non specific North Euro plus other bits.
So is red hair just rare or is it reflecting some North Euro ancestry?

AJL
12-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I think you can find red hair through quite a bit of Eastern Europe and in the Mediterranean, and even in North Africa.

Mamluk
01-27-2013, 04:22 PM
My grandmother's and wife's families (surnames: Murad) have ancestry from Albania (and possibly elsewhere in the Balkans), and the stereotype for (older) relatives from those branches of the family are "red haired and blue or green-eyed." In past conversations in our family, if someone wanted to describe a certain relative's physical appearance, one would say, "He's a Murad alright."

thetick
01-28-2013, 06:09 AM
The following website has maps and references on red hair. It seems creditable but does state the images are what the author found.

http://lighthairandeyeseurope.blogspot.com/2012/09/red-hair-map-of-europe-frequency-of-red.html

Boudicca
01-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. I guess this new cousin seems to think it is not typical for that region...a bit like my mother saying her maternal Grandmother was "very dark" and "didn't look English" despite her tree going back generations in the UK. My usual response "I have you seen the Welsh?!"