PDA

View Full Version : Cancer cells programmed back to normal by US scientists

R.Rocca
08-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Of course, infinitely more important than any of the nonsense we all argue about...

Scientists have turned cancerous cells back to normal by switching back on the process which stops normal cells from replicating too quickly
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11821334/Cancer-cells-programmed-back-to-normal-by-US-scientists.html

Tomenable
08-26-2015, 10:46 PM
Great news! Is this already the "ultimate cure" for cancer? Or just halfway stage?

Jean M
08-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Great news! Is this already the "ultimate cure" for cancer? Or just halfway stage?

A result for patients could be years away.

“There’s a long way to go before we know whether these findings, in cells grown in a laboratory, will help treat people with cancer. But it’s a significant step forward in understanding how certain cells in our body know when to grow, and when to stop. Understanding these key concepts is crucial to help continue the encouraging progress against cancer we’ve seen in recent years.”

miiser
08-27-2015, 07:40 AM

This may ultimately turn out to be one treatment method, of many, for cancer. Cancer is a complex disease, so there is unlikely to ever be any kind of a magic bullet general cure for cancer. The survival rate has already improved dramatically over the past few decades for many forms of cancer, through the development of a wide array of treatment methods. This particular breakthrough may eventually provide one more bullet in the arsenal available to doctors, or it may fall by the way side.

I work in the medical device R&D field, so I've seen this pattern repeat itself many times. The significance of research such as this always tends to be over exaggerated, not only because the media likes to play up such news, but also because R&D companies or academic groups often need publicity in order to help drum up investment funding for continued research.

Changing the behavior of cancerous cells by delivering new DNA/RNA instructions to the cells is an interesting idea that has been around for awhile in a variety of forms, but there are quite a few significant hurdles to making it an effective in vivo treatment. This particular breakthrough is an interesting development, but I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation of an imminent "cure for cancer".

R.Rocca
08-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Understanding the "how and why" is always the first step. Creating a delivery mechanism is the difficult part. Either way, I think this is a very good step in the right direction.