PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry DNA adds new tools

leonardo
08-27-2015, 01:30 PM
While it is not a chromosome browser, Ancestry DNA has added a few new tools which, in theory could be helpful. The first is on the main DNA match page. It has a tab which conveniently lists all my mother's matches. Prior to this, I would have to manually check my new matches and my mother's, to determine if I shared the match with her or not. The second new tool, which could be promising, is a shared matches tab under each match. In theory, while not listing how you and the match share with the other person(s), it at least allows you to see who may be in common with your match. For a person of mixed ancestry, like myself, this could help. I say in theory though, because I have confirmed parent-child matches that aren't showing. It looks like a tweak is needed.

dp
10-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Just received this announcement of new features for Ancestry DNA kit comparisons:
http://c.ancestry.com/cs/media/dna-fhm-2015.pdf?o_xid=67853&o_lid=67853&o_sch=Email+-+Campaigns

How to Share Your DNA for Family History Month
3. Shared Matches
Last month we released a new matching feature that lets you see matches you have in common with any one of your matches. The list will include 4th cousin matches or closer. When you click View Match, the Shared Matches filter appears on the detail page for each of your matches. If you need help, click on the question mark for more information
dp :-)

haleaton
10-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Just received this announcement of new features for Ancestry DNA kit comparisons:
http://c.ancestry.com/cs/media/dna-fhm-2015.pdf?o_xid=67853&o_lid=67853&o_sch=Email+-+Campaigns

dp :-)

I have already found the new Shared Ancestry Feature very useful, though it does not necessarily mean that the shared ancestry is the same, but is much more likely at the fourth cousin level.

What makes it useful is it helps identify matches that do not have or do not share their paper tree.

Ancestry also added a nice feature for matches that do not have a tree or public tree in that they know list any other public trees that the member may have, so you do not have to go their member account. Often people have partial public trees, but do not or are not yet ready to post tree for DNA.

Ancestry really has the best genealogy front end (of course) for autosomal matches, though no Chromosome Browser or triangulation. It would be great if they would also allow subscribers to upload autosomal data sets from FTDNA and 23andMe which are pretty similar in coverage.

Kwheaton
10-05-2015, 08:17 PM
I have already found the new Shared Ancestry Feature very useful, though it does not necessarily mean that the shared ancestry is the same, but is much more likely at the fourth cousin level.

What makes it useful is it helps identify matches that do not have or do not share their paper tree.

Ancestry also added a nice feature for matches that do not have a tree or public tree in that they know list any other public trees that the member may have, so you do not have to go their member account. Often people have partial public trees, but do not or are not yet ready to post tree for DNA.

Ancestry really has the best genealogy front end (of course) for autosomal matches, though no Chromosome Browser or triangulation. It would be great if they would also allow subscribers to upload autosomal data sets from FTDNA and 23andMe which are pretty similar in coverage.

Hal,
I have found the in common with feature extremely useful. Especially the ones with no trees. And of course the matching tree hints are mighty fine.

botoole60611
12-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Question -

it there any place to find out how to make the best and most practical use of ANcestry.DNA with the current tools?

I purchased 5 kits for family members.

What I need to know is

1. whether I should manage the kits or have my relatives manage their kits
2. if my relatives manage their kits, can they tie into my tree?
3. if they cannot tie into my tree, do they need an ancestry subscription to create a tree for their DNA results? The mention (above) left me somewhat confused.

the answers may be in anothe thread, but I have not yet found it.

thank you