PDA

View Full Version : mtdna deep test not useful?

Giovanni Ca
09-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Do you think is a waste of money to buy a mtdna test to know if I have some deeper subclades on my t2b5 (tested by 23andMe and Geno 2.0)?
Because deep Testing of mtdna subclades doesn't seem very popular in genetic ancestry community.

vettor
09-10-2015, 11:22 PM
if you ran 2.0 geno, then the marker they presented you is the most up to date from the new mtdna tree...........other companies use older mtdna trees
EDIT = they redid their markers in May 2015........have you looked at geno since then?

BTW.....is Ca your surname?....because Ca was used in Veneto/Venice area to represent a nobleman's Villa as the term Palazzo was forbidden for usage and only to be used for the Doge's palace

so you have in Venice many Ca da Mosto = villa of Mosto , Ca Rezzonico = villa of Rezzonico family etc etc and many many more.

GailT
09-11-2015, 02:18 AM
Do you think is a waste of money to buy a mtdna test to know if I have some deeper subclades on my t2b5 (tested by 23andMe and Geno 2.0)?
Because deep Testing of mtdna subclades doesn't seem very popular in genetic ancestry community.

mtDNA is not always useful for genealogy, although in some cases it is, especially to confirm suspected relationships on the maternal line. It is more useful for exploring geographic origins of your deep maternal ancestry. There are some named subclades of T2b5 so you might get a more specific result and find some matches if you test the full sequence. First I would upload the Geno 2.0 result to mthap to see if any additional mutations were found. And if you test the full sequence I would wait for a sale.

crossover
09-11-2015, 02:25 AM
eh autosomal is more useful for geneaology than mtdna or y-dna

Petr
09-11-2015, 04:43 AM
EDIT = they redid their markers in May 2015........have you looked at geno since then?My Geno 2.0 raw data have not changed since September 2014.

vettor
09-11-2015, 06:29 AM
My Geno 2.0 raw data have not changed since September 2014.

My mtdna marker only appears in February mtdna tree #16...below is what geno gave me in may 2015

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m153/vicpret/natgenonew_zps3ff4a8c9.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/vicpret/media/natgenonew_zps3ff4a8c9.jpg.html)

no other company has H95a except Genbank

ArmandoR1b
09-11-2015, 12:22 PM
eh autosomal is more useful for geneaology than mtdna or y-dna

It depends on the situation. If they want to know if two people that have documentation to the same ancestor through the same maternal line mtDNA in some instances can be very useful, a non-match proves they don't, and for the paternal line Y-DNA can be extremely useful. Both of them can go back much further than autosomal to specific ancestors. The matching for common ancestors in autosomal DNA can only go back so far.