PDA

View Full Version : R1a1a with predicted subclade of R-M512... but cannot find any matches yet on FTDNA

Ramazanoglu
09-14-2015, 02:03 PM
I did the YDNA-111, in searching different projects on FTDNA, the most I can find is a person with 76 out of 111 matching Y markers, which FTDNA suggests that any potential relationship would be more than several thousands of years ago.

FTDNA claimed that my Haplogroup is R1a1a R-M512 and returned no matches in their database for from 12 all the way to 111 markers - so is that because no other would be relatives took the test? or I have to spend more money with them?

I am searching for relatives within a time span of the past 650 to 700 years, meaning that I will have to find people with 102 or more out of 111 markers in common.
At this stage I am not sure what downstream subclades to order, my Y roots are from Adana Turkey, and the Ucok Tribes.

Anyone has suggestions? I am still not getting how I decide which downstream subclades I should search for?

Also, I requested to do a Surname Project so I invite other possible family members to participate, and 5 months later, still no response from FTDNA, is that normal?

DMXX
09-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the forum, Ramazanoglu!

FTDNA claimed that my Haplogroup is R1a1a R-M512 and returned no matches in their database for from 12 all the way to 111 markers - so is that because no other would be relatives took the test? or I have to spend more money with them?

As you've already tested for a hefty number of Y-STR's, that would suggest to me you might belong to a highly divergent branch of R1a1a-M512. Usually, people belonging to R1a1a have (at least 12-)STR matches spanning from Western Europe all the way through to Siberia and in-between. Inspecting your STR's will be instructive here.

I am searching for relatives within a time span of the past 650 to 700 years, meaning that I will have to find people with 102 or more out of 111 markers in common.
At this stage I am not sure what downstream subclades to order, my Y roots are from Adana Turkey, and the Ucok Tribes.

West Asia isn't anywhere as well-represented in FTDNA as Europe is, so the odds of you finding a direct paternal relative that level degree of overlap was always slim. Even some NW European FTDNA customers belonging to R1b-L21 (a well represented subclade) have waited many months to find anything exceeding 67 STR's. Given this, it will be prudent to downplay your expectations somewhat. For the time being, that is.

Anyone has suggestions? I am still not getting how I decide which downstream subclades I should search for?

Best option here is to contact the FTDNA R1a1a Subclades Project admins. Some of them are regular users on this forum. They have the right expertise to suggest further testing moves.

Also, I requested to do a Surname Project so I invite other possible family members to participate, and 5 months later, still no response from FTDNA, is that normal?

That wasn't normal several years back. I personally can't give any guidance on this, as I haven't liaised with the organisation directly for a while. Hopefully others can chime in with any recent experience.

lgmayka
09-14-2015, 02:39 PM
Have you joined the R1a Project (https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1a/about/background)?

khanabadoshi
09-14-2015, 05:39 PM
Now, I really need to call my relative ... see if with subsequent testing his R-M512 stays or changes. It will be useful for Ramazanglu as well. Shouldn't my Granduncle, Ramazanglu, and I be matching at STR 12?

Ramazanglu, try clicking "Advanced Matches" and search ALL; that was the only way I found my Granduncle on the database. He doesn't show up on any other "match" listings on the ftdna site, even though I'm his brother's grandson....

Also transfer your STRs to ysearch (I believe you can transfer the values automatically on the bottom of the Matches page of the Y-DNA STR section) and look at their database. There are likely to be people on that database that pop up?

jrcats
01-04-2019, 10:17 PM
My brother is R1a M-512 per 23&me & a test from another co. indicated he was Y2395. I'm stuck with A. Francis b. 1813 in N.Y. or Canada or ???. Closest ancestors are a Schantz (Tschantz) b. 1742 (genetic distance of 3 at 67 markers) & a France (genetic distance of 5 at 67 markers.). Per 23&me M-512 is uncommon.

parasar
01-04-2019, 10:35 PM
My brother is R1a M-512 per 23&me & a test from another co. indicated he was Y2395. I'm stuck with A. Francis b. 1813 in N.Y. or Canada or ???. Closest ancestors are a Schantz (Tschantz) b. 1742 (genetic distance of 3 at 67 markers) & a France (genetic distance of 5 at 67 markers.). Per 23&me M-512 is uncommon.

Y2395 is predominantly a Scandinavian area line. M512 is far too upstream to be of much value.

lgmayka
01-05-2019, 03:11 AM
If you mean #184708 in the R1a Project, he has tested
Z282+, Z284-, M458-, Z280-, P98-

The project has placed him in a category labeled
8. ...>Z283>Z282>Y2395>YP694(?) [YP700+] (Big Y needed)

If he has indeed tested positive for YP700, then he belongs (roughly) to the rare clade that YFull calls R-YP694 (https://yfull.com/tree/R-YP694/). Ideally, both he and one of his close matches would order the Big Y-500. The two of them would then define a subclade, and YFull could estimate their TMRCA.

jrcats
02-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Thank you for your response. My brother, R. Francis, Kit #184708 has tested positive for YP700. The problem with the 2 matches one with a 3 genetic distance at 67 markers & the other 5 genetic distance at 67 markers with neither appears interested in having the 111 y-dna test. The closest it appears is from a Mennonite group. Is anyone aware of y-dna testing for the Mennonite & Amish groups?