PDA

View Full Version : U5b3f in the UK?

Lirio100
09-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Has this particular mtDNA group been found in the UK? Or in any particular area? I am curious after getting my results; FTDNA gave me three matches, and while 23andme gave me a LOT of DNA relatives, not one of them matched this mtDNA. At this point I'm pretty sure the carrier of this group came from the UK, but it would be nice to find a little more.

Kaido
09-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Have you checked the U5 and the U5b groups at FTDNA, you might find UK samples there.

https://www.familytreedna.com/my/group-join.aspx?group=U5
https://www.familytreedna.com/my/group-join.aspx?group=U5b_FGS

Lirio100
09-16-2015, 04:52 PM
I belong to the U5 group, five of us there! I didn't know about the U5b, I'll join, but there it's the same four already in the group from U5. One person does give an origin of Norwich in the 1600's. With the Americans the problem has been getting back far enough. The two who matched me exactly on FTDNA didn't share any surnames but they only went back about three generations. My person apparently goes back to early New England here, and trying to trace early records back to there tends to be messy. I was just surprised at the total lack of this group on 23andme. Most of the results on there are "distant" because of one Jewish great grandfather, a good number of the rest seem to be from my Dad's side and I've got that side back to origin already.

GailT
09-17-2015, 06:00 AM
Two people in U5b3f in the FTDNA project report English maternal ancestry and the others are unknown. There are also 3 U5b3f samples from central Italy and one from Spain in a study by Pala et al. I'd guess that the common maternal ancestor for U5b3f lived about 1000 years ago, so people in this group might not be closely related.

Lirio100
09-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Yes, I was getting that impression. She is the ony family line I haven't been able to find an end point for--so of course Murphy's Law is working and this is the line my mtDNA goes to. :P

Baltimore1937
09-17-2015, 09:49 PM
I have the same basic problem with my U5b2b2. I've come to suspect mine goes back to early Massachusetts. As for Norwich, that's in East Anglia, isn't it? (Norfolk, Suffolk). So that seems to point to an Angle origin (Jutland, northern Shleswig-Holstein, etc). Ice Age U5b3 was seen in Italy, Sardinia, etc. I'm just winging it, ha ha.