PDA

View Full Version : The Romanov dynasty (not quite Russian)

Mamluk
09-22-2015, 06:02 AM
We know that the famous Rurikid dynasty of Russia, which lasted 7 centuries, ended when Ivan the Terrible murdered his son, thus leaving no male heir. (Their Y lineage has been determined to be N1c1). The boyar elite then elected one of their own, Michael Romanov, to kingship.

I hadn't known this before, but the last true Romanov male heir was his great-grandson, Alexei. Alexei's father was the illustrious Peter the Great, who had him tortured for treason. Alexei died from his punishment, leaving Russia, once again, without a legitimate king.

After some decades of turbulence and rule by female members of the family, and a distantly-related male toddler, a cousin was imported from Germany to become Russia's new king. His name was Karl Ulrich, and his supposed legitimacy to the throne was that his mother was a Romanov. He took a new name, Peter III Romanov, and he married another German import, Sophie Anhalt--later renamed as Catherine the Great.

What I don't appreciate is that they and their descendants, right up to the last Tsar, Nicholas II, continued to use the Romanov name, while they had no legitimate claim to use it. Out of spite towards her husband, Catherine claimed that her son was actually the son of one of her lovers, who had the surname Saltykov (which would have made the son quite illegitimate). Many historians believe that the son was actually legitimate, whose last name should have been Ulrich, which is ultimately descended from the House of Oldenburg, an old German family with ties to German and Scandinavian royal families.

Nicolas II took a German for a wife as well. They were constantly accused of being disconnected and out of touch with the plight of the Russian common people.

The Romanov Y DNA line is said to be R1b. According to the historical account, this (Germanic) R1b line is actually that of the Oldenburgs, not the Romanovs. Portraits of the true Romanovs depict men that are full-faced and dark-haired, whereas the Ulrich-Oldenburg "Romanovs" were not such. (Reminds me of the famous line in the novel, A Game of Thrones: The seed is strong.)

So the true Romanov Y line is still unknown. (?)