PDA

View Full Version : Pain tolerance SNPs - OPRM1 gene

DMXX
09-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Covered this topic on my blog (here (http://vaedhya.blogspot.qa/2015/09/pain-oprm1-ancestral-contribution-review.html)) based on a recent paper on the OPRM1 gene, which is implicated in a key opioid receptor (original article here (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4530646/)).

The "main" SNP (or at least the one with the greatest amount of research weight behind it) is rs1799971. The G allele is associated with increased pain sensation. A lot of the other SNPs shown in the article aren't covered by 23andMe (v2).

Pain sensitivity is (at the least) a polygenetic trait, so your status per this SNP doesn't necessarily have to match your phenotype.

I'm AA at rs1799971 (no increased pain sensation). How does everyone else stack up on this SNP?

J Man
09-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Covered this topic on my blog (here (http://vaedhya.blogspot.qa/2015/09/pain-oprm1-ancestral-contribution-review.html)) based on a recent paper on the OPRM1 gene, which is implicated in a key opioid receptor (original article here (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4530646/)).

The "main" SNP (or at least the one with the greatest amount of research weight behind it) is rs1799971. The G allele is associated with increased pain sensation. A lot of the other SNPs shown in the article aren't covered by 23andMe (v2).

Pain sensitivity is (at the least) a polygenetic trait, so your status per this SNP doesn't necessarily have to match your phenotype.

I'm AA at rs1799971 (no increased pain sensation). How does everyone else stack up on this SNP?

All of my family members that have tested and myself are AA.

MikeWhalen
09-23-2015, 05:25 PM
I too am 'AA'
-for what ever its worth, I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, I believe my Mom had it too...not sure if its just from having to deal with some chronic issues and you get 'used' to it, or if it has other elements such as genetics

"OPRM1 154360797 rs1799971 A or G AA"

Mike

bored
09-23-2015, 05:40 PM

rs1799971 - AA

Gray Fox
09-23-2015, 06:36 PM
rs1799971 - AA

I was doing push-ups and weight training a few weeks after I broke my clavicle (complete break, one piece sitting atop the other). So yeah... B)

Arbogan
09-23-2015, 07:26 PM
I'm blessed by kassitic allah with decent pain tolerance. The only time I gave in to pain. Was when I had an extreme case of charley horse in middle of the night. It feelt like my calf was being torn apart.

I am AA for this.

Awale
09-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Seems I'm AA as well.

evon
09-23-2015, 11:11 PM
Half my family are AA and half are AG.

DMXX
09-23-2015, 11:14 PM
Half my family are AA and half are AG.

Excellent! Glad to hear not all of us come from over-hardened quasi-masochistic genetic backgrounds. :)

Awale
09-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Well, I just checked on 5 other Somalis whose raw data the Sheikh has and they're all AA as well.

DMXX
09-24-2015, 12:33 AM
In terms of worldwide distribution, based on 1000 Genomes data, the G allele is rare in Africa (<1%), a minority in Europe and the Americas (16-20%) and is most common in South & East Asia (39-42%).

Within Africa, only 1% of Luhya from Kenya carry a G allele. It is otherwise completely absent in Nigeria, Gambia and Sierra Leone.

Funnily enough, in Europe, opposite vertical ends have the highest peaks (Finns and Tuscans both at 18%) with the British having the least (12%).

In other world regions, it doesn't stray too far from the averages shown. The Japanese appear to be the chart-toppers (G comprises just under half at 49%).

Given the unique position held in Africa by Somalis and other Horner groups, I'd imagine the G allele is somewhere in-between the African and European (West Eurasian) averages shown here (~8%?).

evon
09-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Excellent! Glad to hear not all of us come from over-hardened quasi-masochistic genetic backgrounds. :)

Haha, I am AG and I have heightened sensitivity to touch, but I think being AA would be beneficial in most cases.

Sangarius
09-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Another AG here. On my maternal side my grandma is AA and my grandpa is AG.

Afshar
09-24-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm AG, my dad and niece are AA. I got the wrong bases I guess. I am making up for it by training mentally, maybe it will induce a base change.

Awale
09-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Given the unique position held in Africa by Somalis and other Horner groups, I'd imagine the G allele is somewhere in-between the African and European (West Eurasian) averages shown here (~8%?).

I would imagine AG could also be higher in Habeshas, Agaws (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaw_people), Sudanese Arabs and Nubians when compared to Somalis given that those populations have more recent West Eurasian influences than we do.

Ignis90
09-24-2015, 12:34 PM
I am AG at rs1799971.
The only GG in my list is a Tunisian woman. As a whole, slightly less than half of all Northwest Africans I share with is AG + GG, which is high (probably due to my small sample size of 20).

Among my French friends, one is AA and the other is AG.

evon
09-24-2015, 03:56 PM
I am AG at rs1799971.
The only GG in my list is a Tunisian woman. As a whole, slightly less than half of all Northwest Africans I share with is AG + GG, which is high (probably due to my small sample size of 20).

Among my French friends, one is AA and the other is AG.

How can you see others?

Maybe G is found at high % around the Med, that could correlate to my paternal ancestry..

Ignis90
09-24-2015, 05:36 PM
How can you see others?

I manage[d] several kits for other people @23andme. Plus there is actually a preliminary research page dedicated to it: '"heroin addiction".

Táltos
09-24-2015, 08:40 PM
My rs1799971 is AG. I'm G from my father as my mother was AA.

Táltos
09-24-2015, 08:44 PM
I manage[d] several kits for other people @23andme. Plus there is actually a preliminary research page dedicated to it: '"heroin addiction".

I just looked at my mom's report she has v3. The "G" is supposed to give you substantially higher odds of heroin addiction vs just typical odds of heroin addiction for an AA.

evon
09-24-2015, 10:00 PM
I just looked at my mom's report she has v3. The "G" is supposed to give you substantially higher odds of heroin addiction vs just typical odds of heroin addiction for an AA.

Its a bit funny as I have been on morphine/opiates a few times and I dont like it at all, so goes to show how a single SNP dosnt tell the whole story..

Táltos
09-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Its a bit funny as I have been on morphine/opiates a few times and I dont like it at all, so goes to show how a single SNP dosnt tell the whole story..

A single one certainly doesn't. For the record, I've never tried heroin, nor would I want to. The only time I've wanted opiates was right after surgery, otherwise I don't like to be that sedated. A glass of wine is sedating enough for me. :)

MikeWhalen
09-25-2015, 12:26 AM
I used some opiates a few times after surgeries...morphine while staying at the hospital and oxycontin at home...I found, like with most pain drugs, I was somewhat resistant to it...it worked, but there was absolutely no 'high' at all, nor any feeling or desire or attraction to continue with them

on the other hand, I think some know I work at a prison, and the opiates are probably the most popular drug overall...heroin for the older guys, oxy's, percocets and phentanal patches (way dangerous) for the younger and since it is easily available, morphine is popular with both

...probably more for psychological and emotional reasons, some guys and gals just dive into the addition after only a few times--it is quite amazing to me

as an fyi, you know that the root word for addiction comes from the greeks and means 'slave'...some things don't change

sorry for the minor derail, we take you back to the regular program

Mike

Krefter
09-25-2015, 03:33 AM
rs1799971: AA

cpan0256
09-25-2015, 04:59 AM
The paper quoted by OP measured six SNPs, and my 23andMe V3 results include five of them:

rs1799971 AG
rs1799972 CC
rs17174794 CC
rs2075572 not measured
rs540825 TT
rs562859 TT

leonardo
09-27-2015, 12:08 AM

AA myself.

Blitz
02-05-2016, 10:08 AM
The G allele is associated with increased pain sensation. A lot of the other SNPs shown in the article aren't covered by 23andMe (v2).

The last bit made me chuckle. AG apparently, yet higher than normal pain tolerance.

I've split open my left hand, between the knuckles, & needing some stitches bashing it off a metal stair case; didn't realize I had done anything until washing my hands a couple minutes later. I cracked my shoulder, years ago, on a pack of solid ice - never went to the hospital; who knows what damage I actually did but when I decided nearly 13 years later [not due to pain but because at times it locks] to actually have it looked at the doctor / physiotherapist said I had a large slap tear down the shoulder and the muscle weakness would indicate this wasn't the first such tear.

Horse riding accident - well jumping - horse misjudged the jump, went over on his hip really, and we both went down... now that is the only time I really noticed pain, as in bad pain, cause I bashed my knee something fierce.

Except for two weeks after the knee [surgery too] never had an opiod. Which is sort of surprising because as an active tomboy [female] who grew up in the mountains [Rockies & in Europe] hiked all over the place, loves exploring [even if that exploring includes sliding arse first down an old mine's 100 or so foot long coal chute & coming face to snout with a wild longhorn cattle that was outside a long-since abandoned town], done all sorts of things [white water kayaking], and doesn't shy away from hard tasks I've sprained, twisted, and knocked myself about more than those few times mentioned above.

I'd just like to add that my rather severe adversion to opiods is probably due to the fact a very close family friend had a bad addiction problem and not only did it mess his life up for a while but in the long run placed a rather large wedge between him & my family... rather than actual adversion due to DNA. I mean mum, after having her appendix blow up [her doctor thought hunting more important than his job - they had to fly someone in], had a problem with morphine.

SwampThing27
02-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Me: AA
Fiancé: AG

MacUalraig
02-05-2016, 03:16 PM
AG and a total wimp when it comes to pain.