PDA

View Full Version : U6a - isolated or just really rare

SwedeLover
09-27-2015, 11:52 AM
So my father's maternal - which he gets from his mother - is U6a.

Her family is of an old familial clan - as in quite a number of centuries - in Ireland.

My question is, is pure "unaltered" [not U6a1] U6a so rare that she is getting so few matches on a variety of genetic websites - 23&me shows maybe a little more over a dozen and FTDNA about the same tiny number.

Or is this due to a isolated population given her family being rather old.

I mean when I tested everyone with FTDNA's mtDNA origins option - she is barely related to any country her highest is 1% Moldova followed by 0.9% France... of the 58 country options she has matches with only 21 and 90% of them are 0.1% or less [including Ireland being <0.1%].

palamede
10-03-2015, 01:12 PM
So my father's maternal - which he gets from his mother - is U6a.

Her family is of an old familial clan - as in quite a number of centuries - in Ireland.

My question is, is pure "unaltered" [not U6a1] U6a so rare that she is getting so few matches on a variety of genetic websites - 23&me shows maybe a little more over a dozen and FTDNA about the same tiny number.

Or is this due to a isolated population given her family being rather old.

I mean when I tested everyone with FTDNA's mtDNA origins option - she is barely related to any country her highest is 1% Moldova followed by 0.9% France... of the 58 country options she has matches with only 21 and 90% of them are 0.1% or less [including Ireland being <0.1%].

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_U_(mtDNA)#Haplogroup_U6