PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA wants to test Z1935 for the kit 99533 at FTDNA

Jenny
12-27-2012, 04:38 PM
What will this tell me? Do you think it's only useful information for genetic scientists? It looks to me that it could narrow my grandfathers ancestors to either Karelia or the Savo district, other than that I don't see the point.
I'd be happy to test if there's a reason other than a theoretical scientific one.
Thanks for any info:)

GTC
12-28-2012, 08:49 AM
You wrote: "FTDNA wants to test Z1935 for the kit 99533 at FTDNA"

Are you saying that FTDNA approached you (or the kit owner) directly, saying they want to test that particular SNP?

Was this an email? If so, who sent the email?

Clinton P
12-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Peter M. Op den Velde Boots sums this up neatly....

"In general, SNPs define relationships and STRs suggest relationships."

Clinton P

Jenny
12-28-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm sorry this was poorly worded. On a couple of Finnish sites I belong to the gurus are suggesting I test for Z1935. I asked the forum directly "why" and I was told to figure it out, in the nicest possible way of course.
I'm not a scientist, I'm just trying to research some of our family's genetic history.
I'd like to know if those kinds of tests are useful for me, as the family genealogist, or if those additional tests just provide fodder for some esoteric stuff that really should be of no concern.

GTC
12-28-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm sorry this was poorly worded. On a couple of Finnish sites I belong to the gurus are suggesting I test for Z1935. I asked the forum directly "why" and I was told to figure it out, in the nicest possible way of course.
I'm not a scientist, I'm just trying to research some of our family's genetic history.
I'd like to know if those kinds of tests are useful for me, as the family genealogist, or if those additional tests just provide fodder for some esoteric stuff that really should be of no concern.

Thanks for the clarification of your original message.

Another way of looking at the relationship between SNPs and STRs is that SNPs are the anthropological branches on the tree of man, and STRs are the more recent leaves.

STRs are associated with "genealogical" time (hundreds of years) whereas SNPs cover millennia.

Using my case as an example: My haplogroup is R1b-Z12 and under that grouping there is a handful of people with a similar surname who match at varying genetic distances with each other at 111 markers (STRs). So, with that evidence, we believe that we are a related "clan".

As for your particular case, I'd need to look at your STRs within the context of your haplogroup project.

Kwheaton
11-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Jenny,

This Lesson in my Beginner's Guide may be helpful
https://sites.google.com/site/wheatonsurname/beginners-guide-to-genetic-genealogy/lesson-15-the-future-y-is-here
Good luck.
Kelly

paulgill
07-27-2015, 12:52 AM

In any case the test be much cheaper at YSEQ if you are willing to provide the saliva sample again. http://www.yseq.net/

Lamborn
07-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Your original post was dated 2012. The tree has progressed considerably since then, especially with the availability of the Big Y test. I have followed Z1935 on the YFULL tree. It is listed by them as Z1925 and is TMRCA=2500ybp, which means that its most recent common ancestor is that old. If you want to find it, it is
N1c1>N1c1a1>M2126>L1026>Z1936>Z1925. There are a number of SNP's below that dating to quite recent time, but it could be quite expensive to find out where you fit inn by testing individual SNP's. The best recommendation is probably to do a BIG Y test, if you are that interested and have that evaluated by YFULL.