PDA

View Full Version : Have Origins for any of the L21 Branches Been Proven?

Peter MacDonald
10-06-2015, 12:07 AM
I have read a number of opinions, statements and personal theories on the origins of a number of L21 Branches. Just wondering whether or not any claims of origin have been reasonably proven as of yet? It seems that a number of theories are regularly attacked/defended and I am curious if current data is able to clearly support or clearly refute any theories as of yet?

MacUalraig
10-07-2015, 07:08 PM
I think in general this is exceedingly difficult if not impossible - unless of course you dug up a father and son (say proven by autosomal testing) and observed it arising in the son. AND could prove they were native by some other means like isotope testing.

The M222 group have spent a decade or more arguing about where our SNP arose and haven't really progressed. People believe what they want to believe.

Dubhthach
10-08-2015, 08:43 AM
I think aDNA (Ancient DNA) will be key going forward. It might not tell us where particular haplogroup arose, but it will provide at least datapoints such as:
1. specific haplogroup was in certain geographic area at a specific time
2. that the defining SNP is at least as old (more likely considerably older) than the specific aDNA remains.

In case of Britain so far there are only 3 aDNA Y-DNA's recovered so far, nothing from Ireland.