PDA

View Full Version : Finding a FGC Person with a particular SNP

Peter MacDonald
10-16-2015, 09:31 PM
I was hoping someone could tell me if it is at all possible to find an individual who tested with FGC? The reason that I ask is that I have tested with the Big Y and had the following results:
L1335, L1065, S744, S764, S756, BY154.

After receiving these results I paid FGC to do a third party interpretation of my Big Y results which confirmed the above, however they also told me that I was positive from the SNP FGC17058. This tells me that FGC have tested at least one other individual (if not more) positive for FGC17058. Unfortunately this individual(s) have not joined Alex Williamson's L21 Tree and I have currently no way to determine/discover who the individual(s) is/are.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could provide any advice or suggestions how I should proceed to find this/these individual(s).

Cofgene
10-16-2015, 11:11 PM
You cannot assume that FGC17058 is in your same R haplogroup.

Peter MacDonald
10-16-2015, 11:19 PM
You cannot assume that FGC17058 is in your same R haplogroup.

I do not fully understand what you are saying Cofgene. To my understanding FGC17058 would be downstream of S756 and BY154. Am I incorrect in this assumption?

VinceT
10-17-2015, 01:24 AM
I do not fully understand what you are saying Cofgene. To my understanding FGC17058 would be downstream of S756 and BY154. Am I incorrect in this assumption?
I tend to agree. The Ybrowse record for FGC17058 (http://ybrowse.org/gb2/gbrowse_details/chrY?name=FGC17058) indicates that it is "Below S756". This comment was likely included during the original submission from FGC. I'd suggest contacting FGC to see if the original observance also had S756 and BY154, and if it came from a Big Y or FGC sample.

Also try contacting the Clan Donald DNA Project through http://dna-project.clan-donald-usa.org/DNABigY.htm. FGC17058 shows up under the "Olive-Black" group.

[Edit] Then again, if FGC17059 was also found in your sample, I might have presumed incorrectly, and yours was actually the initial observances of both FGC17058 and FGC17059.

Peter MacDonald
10-17-2015, 11:36 AM
I tend to agree. The Ybrowse record for FGC17058 (http://ybrowse.org/gb2/gbrowse_details/chrY?name=FGC17058) indicates that it is "Below S756". This comment was likely included during the original submission from FGC. I'd suggest contacting FGC to see if the original observance also had S756 and BY154, and if it came from a Big Y or FGC sample.

Also try contacting the Clan Donald DNA Project through http://dna-project.clan-donald-usa.org/DNABigY.htm. FGC17058 shows up under the "Olive-Black" group.

[Edit] Then again, if FGC17059 was also found in your sample, I might have presumed incorrectly, and yours was actually the initial observances of both FGC17058 and FGC17059.

Thank you for your reply Vince T.

I am the individual who is FGC17058 under the “Olive-Black” Group. I assumed that at least two persons are required to share an SNP before it is named. Is this an incorrect assumption? I will contact FGC as you suggested in hopes of determining FGC17058 was observed prior to my Big Y interpretation.

Kwheaton
10-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Peter,
There does not need to be more than one for a SNP to be named by FGC. Some will have matches in anonymous samples but of the 50 found and named in my husband's Elite only 2 (at the time) had been seen elsewhere. Fast forward and now we have about 8 shared SNPS and and indel. It also takes some time for FTDNA to recognize that a sample matches a named SNP. The only thing necessary for SNP naming is a reliable change (mutation) from the ANCESTRAL to the Derived SNP.
Kelly

haleaton
10-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Thank you for your reply Vince T.

I am the individual who is FGC17058 under the “Olive-Black” Group. I assumed that at least two persons are required to share an SNP before it is named. Is this an incorrect assumption? I will contact FGC as you suggested in hopes of determining FGC17058 was observed prior to my Big Y interpretation.

No, not anymore, any SNP found or claimed to be found can get named.

Many of the FGC SNPs in YBrowse are Private SNPs that have just been found in one person, but are high reliability.

YSEQ will take and or if not named give and "A" name and put in YBrowse.

I think this is a good thing, at this time.

Huntergatherer1066
10-17-2015, 03:00 PM
This thread itself may be a good way to get in contact with any present or future FGC17058 individuals, if you google the SNP now it's one of the top results.

MacUalraig
10-17-2015, 03:22 PM
I was hoping someone could tell me if it is at all possible to find an individual who tested with FGC? The reason that I ask is that I have tested with the Big Y and had the following results:
L1335, L1065, S744, S764, S756, BY154.

After receiving these results I paid FGC to do a third party interpretation of my Big Y results which confirmed the above, however they also told me that I was positive from the SNP FGC17058. This tells me that FGC have tested at least one other individual (if not more) positive for FGC17058. Unfortunately this individual(s) have not joined Alex Williamson's L21 Tree and I have currently no way to determine/discover who the individual(s) is/are.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could provide any advice or suggestions how I should proceed to find this/these individual(s).

Your haplogroupCompare report should show the other kits that share the SNP unless they asked to stay private. You can then ask the firm to pass on a message I believe.

Peter MacDonald
10-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Thank you to everyone for your input and suggestions, they are much appreciated.