PDA

View Full Version : Would you visit 'Celtic Britain'?

Jean M
10-18-2015, 09:15 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/ztg87hv

The BBC has a traveller's guide, complete with handy phrases, where to stay and trip advisors. ;)

Kwheaton
10-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Jean,
I enjoyed the link----(Can't watch the BBC series though ;-( ) but how can you visit Britain and not being visiting its Celtic and other histories? I fineshed your book! Loved it and will need to write a proper review. I also ordered (from England) a couple of copies of "Discover & Learn Stone Age and Celts" for my grandchildren. My grandsons born in England and Wales will be visiting next year and I want to get them excited about the "ancient" history there.
Kelly

DMXX
10-18-2015, 10:27 PM
"Food & Drink"

"Bread, Stew, Porridge, Beer"

Good enough for me!

Rick
10-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Jean,
I enjoyed the link----(Can't watch the BBC series though ;-( ) but how can you visit Britain and not being visiting its Celtic and other histories? I fineshed your book! Loved it and will need to write a proper review. I also ordered (from England) a couple of copies of "Discover & Learn Stone Age and Celts" for my grandchildren. My grandsons born in England and Wales will be visiting next year and I want to get them excited about the "ancient" history there.
Kelly
The first two episodes are on YouTube, or at least they were yesterday.

rms2
10-18-2015, 11:09 PM
I would definitely stay in Celtic Britain. I stayed in Wales for a week this past July anyway and absolutely, unequivocally loved it. I am thinking of retiring there when the time comes, but I'm not sure my retirement will be up to it. But who knows? Maybe!

One issue for me though is that the beer is so good there I might spend too much time and money in the pubs, and pub grub probably isn't the best thing for the heart. ;)

rms2
10-18-2015, 11:18 PM
The first two episodes are on YouTube, or at least they were yesterday.

Hey! Thanks, Rick! You are right. Excellent!

Here's Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-itb5NwDU

Rick
10-18-2015, 11:42 PM
No worries, but I should have let you all know when I found it yesterday. Got caught up in watching. I thought they did a nice job. Of course once caught in the YouTube current I couldn't get free. There was another bbc series with Neil Oliver, Faces of Britain, which despite outdated PCT assumptions and a serious lack of Alice Roberts, was also pretty entertaining. That one was based on the POBI project, about which I sure hope there's much more to come....

Kwheaton
10-19-2015, 02:14 PM
I would definitely stay in Celtic Britain. I stayed in Wales for a week this past July anyway and absolutely, unequivocally loved it. I am thinking of retiring there when the time comes, but I'm not sure my retirement will be up to it. But who knows? Maybe!

One issue for me though is that the beer is so good there I might spend too much time and money in the pubs, and pub grub probably isn't the best thing for the heart. ;)

Do you have any areas in Wales picked out? My son lived there for a couple of years. It is gorgeous but the winters are a bit bleak. There's a bit if a banana belt (if you can call it that) along the north east coast (just inland) Snowdonia is lovely. Two of my favorite gardens there are Bodnant and Powys Castle. If you go even for a visit check out the book Pendragon. It will have you visiting all sorts of historical and obscure sites!

rms2
10-19-2015, 03:41 PM
If we do go there to live (probably won't happen), I would want to go to the area where we stayed in mid Wales, near Llandrindod Wells, in a very small town called Llanwrtyd Wells.

razyn
10-19-2015, 04:27 PM
If you go even for a visit check out the book Pendragon. It will have you visiting all sorts of historical and obscure sites!
If one is a fan of detective fiction, Rhys Bowen has a series featuring a Welsh constable Evan Evans that's quite readable, and sort of immerses one gently into the local scene without actually having to go very far. She lives in the same California town as my younger son, I keep thinking I'll run into her in the grocery or something.

MacUalraig
10-19-2015, 04:45 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/ztg87hv

The BBC has a traveller's guide, complete with handy phrases, where to stay and trip advisors. ;)

Apparently there isn't anything to see in mainland Scotland! :-(

Dubhthach
10-19-2015, 05:03 PM
Hey! Thanks, Rick! You are right. Excellent!

Here's Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-itb5NwDU

Funnily enough when I click on this it tells me that it has content from Channel 4 that has been blocked in my country. I wonder if the Beeb knows that Channel 4 are claiming copyright on their output ;)

Dubhthach
10-19-2015, 05:05 PM
Weirdly enough on their interactive map they have two sites in Ireland, surely they should be in sister guide to "Celtic Ireland" ;)

kevinduffy
10-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Funnily enough when I click on this it tells me that it has content from Channel 4 that has been blocked in my country. I wonder if the Beeb knows that Channel 4 are claiming copyright on their output ;)

Maybe the BBC are using content in the program that they are licencing from Channel 4? A lot of TV shows are often joint productions.

Kwheaton
10-21-2015, 01:17 AM
If we do go there to live (probably won't happen), I would want to go to the area where we stayed in mid Wales, near Llandrindod Wells, in a very small town called Llanwrtyd Wells.

My grandson was born in Newton just up the road! At the time they were living in Cwrt which is west of Machynellyth. Beautiful country.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
10-21-2015, 12:20 PM
No thanks. I suspect if you were a stranger you would have a good chance of ending up a slave or dead and the school bully would be in charge. :)

rms2
10-24-2015, 01:12 PM
My grandson was born in Newton just up the road! At the time they were living in Cwrt which is west of Machynellyth. Beautiful country.

I remember Newton. Not too far north of Llanbister. We spent a fair amount of time in Llanbister because that is where a man I suspect was my immigrant y-dna ancestor was from. Here's a photo that scares mice and small children to prove I was there.

10-26-2015, 11:44 PM
1. Pack tooth brush
2. Pack change of clothes
3. Memorize dates of any solar eclipses just in case

Kwheaton
10-27-2015, 02:18 PM
1. Pack tooth brush
2. Pack change of clothes
3. Memorize dates of any solar eclipses just in case

Pack fast Beltain is quickly approaching!

MikeWhalen
10-27-2015, 02:22 PM
ah nuts to that, your a handsome lad to be sure

on another note, nice to see the Welsh are worse spellers than me!
:)

Mike

I remember Newton. Not too far north of Llanbister. We spent a fair amount of time in Llanbister because that is where a man I suspect was my immigrant y-dna ancestor was from. Here's a photo that scares mice and small children to prove I was there.

Kwheaton
10-28-2015, 09:11 PM
ah nuts to that, your a handsome lad to be sure

on another note, nice to see the Welsh are worse spellers than me!
:)

Mike

Not that much Welsh but spelling---what's that Beltane and Beltaine would be acceptable but not my mixed version---must be that work I am doing with Kindergartners where only fonetik spelling is is encouraged ;-)