PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA will charge a fee for transferring Geno 2.0 NextGen into Family Finder

lgmayka
10-19-2015, 09:58 PM
I just took a closer look at an email FTDNA sent to administrators on October 7:
---
We can now confirm that National Geographic's Geno 2 Next Gen, launched last month, will still be transferable to FTDNA for free. In addition, once the file has been transferred, you’ll be able to upgrade to Family Finder for a small fee. Stay tuned for more details.
---

This is extremely disturbing. National Geographic's original announcement of Next Gen (http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/12/what-is-geno-2-0-next-generation/) does not mention any such fee:
---
Next Gen participants looking for genealogical matches can now easily transfer results to our laboratory partners at Family Tree DNA and search for relatives across their large database.
---

Since no such fee has ever been charged for previous versions of the Genographic product, customers might reasonably have assumed that Next Gen would also be transferrable without fee.

jesus
10-19-2015, 10:06 PM
It seems like they are trying to take as much money as possible from their customers.

GoldenHind
10-20-2015, 12:32 AM
It sounds to me like the transfer is still free, and it's only the upgrade to FamilyFinder that has a fee. Am I missing something?

lgmayka
10-20-2015, 01:23 AM
It sounds to me like the transfer is still free, and it's only the upgrade to FamilyFinder that has a fee. Am I missing something?
I think you're right. I was simply pointing out that National Geographic touted the transfer (not upgrade) into Family Finder and never mentioned a fee.