PDA

View Full Version : Changes to 23andme..

evon
10-21-2015, 06:53 PM
There are some changes coming, here are the things they will remove:

Not available on the new 23andMe

DNA Melody

Global Similarity Map

Haplogroup Tree Mutation Mapper

Family Inheritance Genome View

Inheritance Calculator

ABO Blood Lab

Reynold's Risk

and things that will be new:
https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/211831948-Mapping-features-from-the-original-23andMe-to-the-new-23andMe

Hopefully the chromosome feature will include DNA relatives, as that is a major problem with the current DNA relatives. I also hope they update AC with less statistical issues and better clusters.

MfA
10-21-2015, 07:46 PM
Looks like North Africa and "Middle East" is decoupled.

http://blog.23andme.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Ancestry-Comp-Home.png

Neanderthal Report (http://blog.23andme.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Neanderthal-Report-Inheritance.png)

Carrier Status Report (http://blog.23andme.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Reports-Carrier-Status-CF-Home.png)

Traits Report (http://blog.23andme.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Reports-Wellness-About-Lactose-Intolerance.png)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pon3zOxMH8M

http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-and-you/a-new-23andme-experience/

MfA
10-21-2015, 08:06 PM
If you received results prior to December 2013, it's likely that you are on an earlier version of our chip. We are still determining what reports customers genotyped on these platforms will be able to receive and whether an upgrade to a new platform will be required.

Please note that current US customers will not have to pay additional fees for the new Personal Genome Service reports.

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/212194818

Don't like this, considering I'm on master race V3 chip. Hopefully It will be limited to some health related things that I can live without.

Scarlet Ibis
10-21-2015, 09:15 PM
So they increased the cost of the price immediately, but the new features won't roll out until later. lol Interesting.

I will be downloading everything while I still can. I'm actually lamenting the fact that CoA will go away, since I highly doubt the new integration of the feature within Relative Finder will be as useful. Less complicated for new users, perhaps, but likely less useful, and probably more of a shallow experience.

Also, FYI, I saw this on the 23andme community page:

By [username withheld] on Oct 21, 2015 at 1:44 AM ( 12 hours ago )
Will Ancestry Composition be racalculated and are there new populations? Or did just the design change?

By Christine M. STAFF on Oct 21, 2015 at 2:18 AM ( 11 hours ago )
@[username withheld], a population update for Ancestry Composition is not part of this launch.

leonardo
10-22-2015, 12:07 AM
For those interested primarily in the genetic genealogy, $199 is a steep price to pay, especially when there are good alternatives out there for $99.

paulgill
10-22-2015, 12:36 AM
For those interested primarily in the genetic genealogy, $199 is a steep price to pay, especially when there are good alternatives out there for $99.

And what are those good alternatives?

khanabadoshi
10-22-2015, 12:48 AM
On the plus side -- I bought 5 kits a few weeks ago -- and they are $199 now. Boy did I luck out.

paulgill
10-22-2015, 12:48 AM
https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/212194818

Don't like this, considering I'm on master race V3 chip. Hopefully It will be limited to some health related things that I can live without.

Kurd and no middle east component, impossible. What is Master Race V3 chip?

leonardo
10-22-2015, 10:44 AM

FTDNA. I have had much greater success with matches there. Combine it with Gedmatch, and you have plenty of tools to assist.

Cinnamon orange
10-22-2015, 04:26 PM
FTDNA. I have had much greater success with matches there. Combine it with Gedmatch, and you have plenty of tools to assist.

Horses for courses, FTDNA is not good for all, and has a habit of overestimating or assigning AJ in non AJ's from the Med area...as one example.
As for combining with Gedmatch, anyone can do that, but most people's matches do not and it is a hassle to get people over there unless they want to be. Same issue at Ancestry, combined with the subscription fees.

paulgill
10-22-2015, 08:25 PM

23andMe gives basic yDNA and mtDNA haplogroups also, which FTDNA will charge you dearly for, I am sure most people like to know them, so other than aDNA part, 23andMe is a very different product.

leonardo
10-23-2015, 12:07 AM
23andMe gives basic yDNA and mtDNA haplogroups also, which FTDNA will charge you dearly for, I am sure most people like to know them, so other than aDNA part, 23andMe is a very different product.

The y and mt DNA offering is nice but shallow. R1a? R1b? With all the deep clade testing, this information means little. You speak from you experience. I will speak from mine. I am interested in learning about my family tree. Few from 23andme respond, and those that do usually nothing more than their grandparents. Charging $199, when the others will occasionally offer theirs for $79, sounds like people will be paying dearly.

leonardo
10-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Horses for courses, FTDNA is not good for all, and has a habit of overestimating or assigning AJ in non AJ's from the Med area...as one example.
As for combining with Gedmatch, anyone can do that, but most people's matches do not and it is a hassle to get people over there unless they want to be. Same issue at Ancestry, combined with the subscription fees.

And my 23andMe A.C. has me listed as 31.4% broadly Northern European, 7.3% Broadly Southern European and 14.4% Broadly European. That's 56.1% Broadly defined. Apparently 23andMe badly underestimates for Northern Europeans. As for hassles, as I mentioned above, my response rate at 23andme is about 5%, most of whom know little to nothing about their ancestry. I have tested with all 3, and I find myself getting the least from 23andMe.

paulgill
10-23-2015, 12:28 AM
The y and mt DNA offering is nice but shallow. R1a? R1b? With all the deep clade testing, this information means little. You speak from you experience. I will speak from mine. I am interested in learning about my family tree. Few from 23andme respond, and those that do usually nothing more than their grandparents. Charging $199, when the others will occasionally offer theirs for $79, sounds like people will be paying dearly.

I actually don't recommend 23andMe or FTDNA to anyone at all. I have left these companies behind and have now got FullGenomes WGS test done, it covers everything one will ever need.

evon
10-23-2015, 09:35 AM
https://www.23andme.com/en-eu/

€169
shipping included

So no more 70$ just for shipping to Europe at least..

Dorkymon
10-23-2015, 09:46 AM
So, will those who purchased the kit this year receive an upgrade to the new reports for free?

paulgill
10-23-2015, 09:49 AM
So, will those who purchased the kit this year receive an upgrade to the new reports for free?

I think that applied to USA only, here in Canada we never had that restriction.

DMXX
10-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Kurd and no middle east component, impossible.

Actually, that's just a demo screen. 23andMe don't seem to have introduced it just yet.

Logged in myself just now and am confronted with the same 85% MENA 7% Euro 3% South Asia 2% East Asia as before.

What is Master Race V3 chip?

That's a joke.

Kwheaton
10-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Hmmmm success rates by company. Here are my matches where I have confirmed an ancestor in common and have a DNA match. Before someone jumps down my throat I would say that the ones in the 1st to 5th cousin level I am very confident about since they have matching segments or confirmation from different lines of descent some as much as 12 times or more. From 6th cousin backwards I have much less confidence that the segment is attributed to the correct ancestor in common. But overall Here are my numbers by company:
18 23andme
12 FTDNA
230 Ancestry

To be fair Ancestry, by far, makes this easiest handing me currently 126 Shared Ancestor Hints and 27 Circles. 23andme makes it the most difficult, requiring me to invite matches to share and then having impossible to deal with trees. Since the new system will be opt in---at least I will be able to see/share without the cumbersome process. I have suggested on the thread I host there----23andme might consider a genealogy account for $99 with no medical data included but I do not know whether this will be considered. I think the price point will discourage new users and definitely hurt Genetic Genealogists. But since I have 7 testers there and a couple of sponsored tests and they are all paid for I won't be going away. They also have one of the best message/forums that they are saying will be even better....

On the Thread I host at 23andme (about Ancestry ostensibly but about all genetic genealogy in reality)---many do not like Ancestry, but begrudging, most have found the most success there while still crying about the lack of a chromosome browser. My word to the wise is this you can beat eggs by hand, with an old fashioned egg beater or with an electric mixer. I have all three in my kitchen and more often than not I reach for the tool that will get the job done with the least amount of effort. If I am beating eggs into stiff peaks that is probably the electric mixer but most of the rest of the time I use a hand whisk. To each his own but those that won't use Ancestry, thinking it is an inferior product are being silly in my book.

Cinnamon orange
10-23-2015, 04:49 PM
And my 23andMe A.C. has me listed as 31.4% broadly Northern European, 7.3% Broadly Southern European and 14.4% Broadly European. That's 56.1% Broadly defined. Apparently 23andMe badly underestimates for Northern Europeans. As for hassles, as I mentioned above, my response rate at 23andme is about 5%, most of whom know little to nothing about their ancestry. I have tested with all 3, and I find myself getting the least from 23andMe.

I think 23andme has the best Ancestry break down at the moment for Europeans. That is my view. FTDNA is often way off the mark.

As for matches, I have the worst luck at Ancestry. Maybe because with their 99 dollar test many people are testing and only want the ethnic break down. All but four of my matches at Ancestry are distant cousins, most with no trees and fake names. So no use at all without even a chromosome browser, though the response rate is dismal anyway..

Ancestry wants everyone in 'circles' but to be in a circle you need to match people with public trees and have a public tree....without a chromosome browser, it is a mystery how the matching is well matching. I doubt ancestry will ever get a chromosome browser, as their gig is to pull people into taking out subscriptions and using other services like genealogists.

In my case,Ancestry is good for records, 23andme is better for matches and the ethnic breakdown. Everybody has their own opinion.

Kwheaton
10-23-2015, 04:55 PM
I think 23andme has the best Ancestry break down at the moment for Europeans. That is my view. FTDNA is often way off the mark.

As for matches, I have the worst luck at Ancestry. Maybe because with their 99 dollar test many people are testing and only want the ethnic break down. All but four of my matches at Ancestry are distant cousins, most with no trees and fake names. So no use at all without even a chromosome browser, though the response rate is dismal anyway..

Ancestry wants everyone in 'circles' but to be in a circle you need to match people with public trees and have a public tree....without a chromosome browser, it is a mystery how the matching is well matching. I doubt ancestry will ever get a chromosome browser, as their gig is to pull people into taking out subscriptions and using other services like genealogists.

In my case,Ancestry is good for records, 23andme is better for matches and the ethnic breakdown. Everybody has their own opinion.

Indeed---my husband has much less success at Ancestry than I however overall he has much more recent ancestry in this country than I do, having more recent immigrants from Northern Europe. My point is they are all valuable and generally unequally so, depending on your ancestry, your tree and a great deal of luck.

Cinnamon orange
10-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Hmmmm success rates by company. Here are my matches where I have confirmed an ancestor in common and have a DNA match. Before someone jumps down my throat I would say that the ones in the 1st to 5th cousin level I am very confident about since they have matching segments or confirmation from different lines of descent some as much as 12 times or more. From 6th cousin backwards I have much less confidence that the segment is attributed to the correct ancestor in common. But overall Here are my numbers by company:
18 23andme
12 FTDNA
230 Ancestry

To be fair Ancestry, by far, makes this easiest handing me currently 126 Shared Ancestor Hints and 27 Circles. 23andme makes it the most difficult, requiring me to invite matches to share and then having impossible to deal with trees. Since the new system will be opt in---at least I will be able to see/share without the cumbersome process. I have suggested on the thread I host there----23andme might consider a genealogy account for $99 with no medical data included but I do not know whether this will be considered. I think the price point will discourage new users and definitely hurt Genetic Genealogists. But since I have 7 testers there and a couple of sponsored tests and they are all paid for I won't be going away. They also have one of the best message/forums that they are saying will be even better....

On the Thread I host at 23andme (about Ancestry ostensibly but about all genetic genealogy in reality)---many do not like Ancestry, but begrudging, most have found the most success there while still crying about the lack of a chromosome browser. My word to the wise is this you can beat eggs by hand, with an old fashioned egg beater or with an electric mixer. I have all three in my kitchen and more often than not I reach for the tool that will get the job done with the least amount of effort. If I am beating eggs into stiff peaks that is probably the electric mixer but most of the rest of the time I use a hand whisk. To each his own but those that won't use Ancestry, thinking it is an inferior product are being silly in my book.

If I recall correctly you are part colonial American and part Scandinavian? If colonial American is correct it would explain the difference in our success rates at Ancestry. I think there are many trees for colonials and it would explain the correct hints and matches to circles.

I am part British isles but not colonial American. Many of my tree hints are way off the mark. For the same ancestor I often get results that span the UK....tracing a line in Northumberland leads me to hints for that ancestor that span from the south of the UK to Scotland....very broad and obviously most are incorrect. It seems Ancestry picks up anybody in the year range with a similar name and sex in the UK.. I understand that happening in their search results (despite filters which seem easily overlooked) but it seems to flow into hints as well.

As for DNA circles, it is useful to an extent if you have a public tree but it is off putting that the circles are confined to those with public trees. It seems a way to tie you into Ancestry's ongoing fees.

I find Ancestry useful to a degree, my relatives list has only four non distant cousins and most of those do not show their real names nor do they have trees. I think many new testers are doing it for the ethnicity breakdown not the genealogy. If I was colonial I would likely have a good match list, as many of the hard core and old time Ancestry users are colonial. Frankly I think being colonial would make my genealogy search easier and more rewarding, at least as things are at this time.

I have a few interesting but distant matches on my German side who have public trees, so far only one has agreed to correspond.

Then the rest being eastern and southern euro, I am mainly picking through records at ancestry vs being in Circles and getting good tree hints.

Scarlet Ibis
10-23-2015, 05:37 PM

This is exactly how I feel in a nutshell.

The fact still remains that 23andme is the only company right now that will give a straight-out-of-the-box estimation of different East Asian ethnicities like Korean, and Japanese, which I appreciate. I rely on AncestryDNA solely these days for the raw data to play around on gedmatch, for genealogy records, and for making connections. The ancestry interpretation they give is just too wacky at this point in time, though.

Up until this point, I tended to recommended 23andme to every interested person I know/knew IRL, as I knew the overwhelming majority of them were highly unlikely to download raw data to mess with R, DIY Calculators, or even Gedmatch. And I was right. I can't remember a single person who ever did so, even though I told them about the option. Most of them took a cursory look at their ancestry results to see if there was anything interesting or exotic, and then moved on. I suspect 23andme knows or figures this, and probably figures they can increase their profit margin by shaving and/or combining some of the more advanced, or complicated features. It will probably end up becoming a much more shallow experience for seasoned and interested folks like us, but will probably still satisfy the majority of new customers.

Having said all of the above, though, I will not even be tempted to upgrade my service. Before the V4 version, I was always confident that 23andme would continue to improve, and roll out more interesting, and innovative features that would always ensure an upgrade was the wisest thing to do. Now that there are more competing companies in the direct-to-consumer genetics market, I get the sense that 23andme is aiming more towards maximizing profit by finding a niche, like the health traits bit, which I personally have no interest in.

DMXX
10-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Having said all of the above, though, I will not even be tempted to upgrade my service. Before the V4 version, I was always confident that 23andme would continue to improve, and roll out more interesting, and innovative features that would always ensure an upgrade was the wisest thing to do. Now that there are more competing companies in the direct-to-consumer genetics market, I get the sense that 23andme is aiming more towards maximizing profit by finding a niche, like the health traits bit, which I personally have no interest in.

Indeed. The health reports themselves are a mixed bag. The most informative part of them are the single gene/loci mutations (e.g. haemochromatosis or cystic fibrosis carrier risk). The complex trait reports simply can't be meaningfully interpreted at present. If the "missing heritability" problem continues to plague complex disease researchers, it's fairly intuitive that 23andMe aren't in a position to give accurate reports to their customers.

If their direction really is towards fleshing out their health traits, they're simply pandering to their audience ("we can predict if you'll get dat dere diabeetus like your grandpappy!!111").

lgmayka
10-23-2015, 08:40 PM
Geno 2.0 Next Generation is only $150 right now (http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=2003825&gsk&code=EM102215I&utm_source=NatGeocom&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=ngstore_20151022&utm_campaign=Store&utm_rd=731665), and includes much more haplogroup specificity than 23andMe. However, we don't know how much FTDNA is going to charge to "upgrade" Geno NextGen customers to Family Finder.

vettor
10-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Geno 2.0 Next Generation is only $150 right now (http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=2003825&gsk&code=EM102215I&utm_source=NatGeocom&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=ngstore_20151022&utm_campaign=Store&utm_rd=731665), and includes much more haplogroup specificity than 23andMe. However, we don't know how much FTDNA is going to charge to "upgrade" Geno NextGen customers to Family Finder.

do they need another sample if you have already tested with them?

Kwheaton
10-23-2015, 09:01 PM
If I recall correctly you are part colonial American and part Scandinavian? If colonial American is correct it would explain the difference in our success rates at Ancestry. I think there are many trees for colonials and it would explain the correct hints and matches to circles.

I am part British isles but not colonial American. Many of my tree hints are way off the mark. For the same ancestor I often get results that span the UK....tracing a line in Northumberland leads me to hints for that ancestor that span from the south of the UK to Scotland....very broad and obviously most are incorrect. It seems Ancestry picks up anybody in the year range with a similar name and sex in the UK.. I understand that happening in their search results (despite filters which seem easily overlooked) but it seems to flow into hints as well.

As for DNA circles, it is useful to an extent if you have a public tree but it is off putting that the circles are confined to those with public trees. It seems a way to tie you into Ancestry's ongoing fees.

I find Ancestry useful to a degree, my relatives list has only four non distant cousins and most of those do not show their real names nor do they have trees. I think many new testers are doing it for the ethnicity breakdown not the genealogy. If I was colonial I would likely have a good match list, as many of the hard core and old time Ancestry users are colonial. Frankly I think being colonial would make my genealogy search easier and more rewarding, at least as things are at this time.

I have a few interesting but distant matches on my German side who have public trees, so far only one has agreed to correspond.

Then the rest being eastern and southern euro, I am mainly picking through records at ancestry vs being in Circles and getting good tree hints.

Yes you are correct. Surprisingly I have had a modicum of success with Swedish lines otherwise it is definitely colonial Americans----particularly ones with large families. ;-)

paulgill
10-23-2015, 09:26 PM

But it also be missing the Health SNPs that Geno 2.0 excluded intentionally which you get at 23andMe as bonus. I think it is better haplogroups v/s health SNPs situation. FTDNA didn't use my Geno 2.0 aDNA for FF and it didn't use my haplogroups from 23andMe but used the aDNA for FF.

Regardless, these two and other such companies are of no use to me any more as I have now opted for FullGenome WGS test, and I intend to use YSEQ for SNP testing for my matches if needed, because the cost there is half of what it will cost one at FTDNA.

paulgill
10-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Indeed. The health reports themselves are a mixed bag. The most informative part of them are the single gene/loci mutations (e.g. haemochromatosis or cystic fibrosis carrier risk). The complex trait reports simply can't be meaningfully interpreted at present. If the "missing heritability" problem continues to plague complex disease researchers, it's fairly intuitive that 23andMe aren't in a position to give accurate reports to their customers.

If their direction really is towards fleshing out their health traits, they're simply pandering to their audience ("we can predict if you'll get dat dere diabeetus like your grandpappy!!111").

True, but if positive, one can always take it as a warning and choose to take preventive measures that may affect the outcome at least to a degree in one's favour.

crossover
10-24-2015, 07:11 AM
dang it, 23andme doubled in price

Mbantua
10-24-2015, 07:26 AM
What crossover said made my laugh. It is all US people talk about, it is like they live hand to mouth like paupers.

I have a long experience with 23andMe from the early days of the v2 chip, before the poster little bit, I was to paraphrase a Jewish bloke two thousand years ago. 23andMe has little business nous. Remember the subscriptions? I suppose most of you do not, you are too new, blow-ins. I am sure you do not remember how 23andMe treated the v1 chippers. They were the folks that paid, crossover mate, $1000, one thousand dollars for what was a very basic chip and service. Well, when the v2 chip was introduced the v1 chippers were told to pay $500 for the v2 chip or to fuck off as their accounts and results would be deleted. I am sure their Raw Data is still held by 23andMe and so is ours until hell freezes over.

Now give a thought for the internationals, non US people, they will get virtually nothing in the new system. 23andMe are creating an apartheid, all the good things for the white haired boys and girls of the US and ghettos and passcards with designations like Bantu, Cape Colored, Indian and Malays for the rest of us.

crossover
10-24-2015, 08:26 AM
What crossover said made my laugh. It is all US people talk about, it is like they live hand to mouth like paupers.

I have a long experience with 23andMe from the early days of the v2 chip, before the poster little bit, I was to paraphrase a Jewish bloke two thousand years ago. 23andMe has little business nous. Remember the subscriptions? I suppose most of you do not, you are too new, blow-ins. I am sure you do not remember how 23andMe treated the v1 chippers. They were the folks that paid, crossover mate, $1000, one thousand dollars for what was a very basic chip and service. Well, when the v2 chip was introduced the v1 chippers were told to pay $500 for the v2 chip or to fuck off as their accounts and results would be deleted. I am sure their Raw Data is still held by 23andMe and so is ours until hell freezes over.

Now give a thought for the internationals, non US people, they will get virtually nothing in the new system. 23andMe are creating an apartheid, all the good things for the white haired boys and girls of the US and ghettos and passcards with designations like Bantu, Cape Colored, Indian and Malays for the rest of us.

so they aren't shipping internationally?

Sangarius
10-24-2015, 09:07 AM
so they aren't shipping internationally?

Of course they do. But health related information aren't accessable to all customers. At 23andme's website one can select one's location. Afaik customers from Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Sweden, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and Canada never stopped receiving their health results. This only applied to customers from the US and the rest (the international option @23andme). Now with the new changes US customers, too, will receive their health results, but the rest of the world still won't.

Jean M
10-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Now with the new changes US customers, too, will receive their health results, but the rest of the world still won't.

As far as I know, the US customers will not get their personal health results, but only their carrier status for various things, so that two partners can calculate the chances of having a child with this or that health problem. This was the easiest thing to get passed by the FDA, as there is no question of any need of immediate medical assistance.

I feel that US customers are getting a raw deal from the FDA. But let us hope that it does not take years and years more before they can see their health results, just as I can see mine by virtue of living on the other side of the Atlantic.

Erik
10-24-2015, 07:02 PM

AncestryDNA.

Kaido
10-24-2015, 07:17 PM
Seems they're removing the ability to be anonymous on "DNA relatives" too.

Erik
10-24-2015, 07:18 PM
This is exactly how I feel in a nutshell.

The fact still remains that 23andme is the only company right now that will give a straight-out-of-the-box estimation of different East Asian ethnicities like Korean, and Japanese, which I appreciate. I rely on AncestryDNA solely these days for the raw data to play around on gedmatch, for genealogy records, and for making connections. The ancestry interpretation they give is just too wacky at this point in time, though.

Up until this point, I tended to recommended 23andme to every interested person I know/knew IRL, as I knew the overwhelming majority of them were highly unlikely to download raw data to mess with R, DIY Calculators, or even Gedmatch. And I was right. I can't remember a single person who ever did so, even though I told them about the option. Most of them took a cursory look at their ancestry results to see if there was anything interesting or exotic, and then moved on. I suspect 23andme knows or figures this, and probably figures they can increase their profit margin by shaving and/or combining some of the more advanced, or complicated features. It will probably end up becoming a much more shallow experience for seasoned and interested folks like us, but will probably still satisfy the majority of new customers.

Yep, they don't bother with us nerds anymore. :P They just want the average person, which is a shame. Hopefully AncestryDNA will step it up now and add the features we've all been waiting for, or, a new (affordable) test will appear that shows us what we need, that ISN'T a huge disappointment like TribeCode.

vettor
10-24-2015, 07:43 PM
23andme are going by the medical way only and the genetics part will suffer.............they do not realise that from when they where not allowed to give any medical results, people joined them for genetics.
Its seems they where dancing with the fairies in that period.

paulgill
10-24-2015, 08:11 PM
AncestryDNA.

It never meant anything to me as I am interested only in closing 8000 to 2000 ybp gap in my yDNA genetic genealogy. I have heard other saying that it is better than FTDNA and 23andMe when it comes to finding close relatives, fortunately I know all my close relatives. There is nothing on the market that can be really compared to FullGenomes WGS [Whole Genome Sequencing] test.

Erik
10-24-2015, 08:13 PM
It never meant anything to me as I am interested only in closing 8000 to 2000 ybp gap in my yDNA genetic genealogy. I have heard other saying that it is better than FTDNA and 23andMe when it comes to finding close relatives, fortunately I know all my close relatives. There is nothing on the market that can be really compared to FullGenomes WGS [Whole Genome Sequencing] test.

Hello and thanks for the reply. Do they accept PayPal and what are the differences between 2x and other types?

paulgill
10-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Hello and thanks for the reply. Do they accept PayPal and what are the differences between 2x and other types?

Yes they do accept PayPal, but you need to be careful, you really need to know what your priorities are, as you cannot use its aDNA for Finding relatives for now, it gives you a huge file but you can run it through
Promethease (based on SNPedia)
GET-Evidence
Ingenuity Variant Analysis

For health SNPs. https://www.fullgenomes.com/news/

I heard that so for the results for 2x are good, it is the lowest resolution test, 4x will give better results. 10x is all you need for yDNA and mtDNA and 30x will be best overall, especially for health SNPs.

DMXX
10-24-2015, 09:11 PM
True, but if positive, one can always take it as a warning and choose to take preventive measures that may affect the outcome at least to a degree in one's favour.

The single gene/loci traits definitely serve this purpose. I now know that, in the event I have children with someone, it would be prudent to check if my other half is also a carrier for haemochromatosis.

The complex traits are, overall, useless for the time being. I can only assume, based on the endemic status of the metabolic syndrome (diabetes mellitus, hypertension, hyperlipidaemia, obesity) in the West, a lot of prospective purchasers will be interested in learning about their overall risk. As discussed earlier (missing heritability dilemma), we simply cannot predict that confidently at present.

Having said that, people with a family history of diabetes or hyperlipidaemia will find some benefit in taking up 23andMe and checking for their TCF7L2 or LDL-R gene status respectively. That represents only a subset of those afflicted with these conditions.

bored
10-24-2015, 10:21 PM
It was always $199 in Canada. Now they've matched this price for Americans, lol.

vettor
10-29-2015, 06:49 PM
It was always $199 in Canada. Now they've matched this price for Americans, lol.

23andme are offering $59 via the myHeritage site for

About the mtDNAPlus test

Reach into the past through mtDNA testing to uncover the deep ancestral origin of your direct maternal line (your mother, your mother’s mother, etc.) and connect with genetic cousins.

Mid-level mtDNA test.
Tests both HVR1 and HVR2 (Hypervariable Regions 1 and 2).
Provides ancestral origin of the direct maternal line.
Includes HVR1 and HVR1+HVR2 matches.
HVR1+HVR2 matches are related within the past 28 generations.

Available to males and females.

since health data is only in the mtdna , they (23andme) are aiming only on this side and care little on the Ydna side. Another aim at reducing the genealogy involvement of the company

ADW_1981
10-29-2015, 07:11 PM

Always the complainer. Frankly, you won't be happy regardless of whatever "they" try to do. Just admit that.

vettor
10-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Always the complainer. Frankly, you won't be happy regardless of whatever "they" try to do. Just admit that.

How is he a "complainer" if 23andme stated only US customers will not be effected by the changes, and get the free upgrades?

clearly the genetics is being culled , especially the ydna.
I am now T under parent haplogroup F ..............K haplogroup does not exist anymore for ydna in 23andme.

proverb: a squeaky door always gets oiled

I1-Z63
10-29-2015, 08:12 PM

I paid 99$ for mine last year.

I1-Z63
10-29-2015, 08:27 PM
I also got an email from 23andme regarding the changes, anyone else?

As someone who has previously used the 23andMe Countries of Ancestry feature, please be advised that as part of our transition to the new customer experience, we will be discontinuing Countries of Ancestry as a standalone tool on November 11, 2015.

While parts of the tool will be available in the new 23andMe experience, if you would like to download information from the feature, you must do so by midnight November 10.

For more information, see our announcement on the 23andMe Community.

The 23andMe Team

Anglo- Virginian
10-29-2015, 09:07 PM
I also got an email from 23andme regarding the changes, anyone else?

Yes. It's really not a matter of concern for me. All the money they get out of me was that $100.00 and some odd change I paid late last year. If I get sick, I'll see a doctor. All that genetic predisposition to whatever.. meh.

I1-Z63
10-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Yes. It's really not a matter of concern for me. All the money they get out of me was that $100.00 and some odd change I paid late last year. If I get sick, I'll see a doctor. All that genetic predisposition to whatever.. meh.

I assume the changes will occur after November 11 although I read somewhere it's supposed to be early next year.

Petr
10-29-2015, 10:02 PM

About the mtDNAPlus test

Reach into the past through mtDNA testing to uncover the deep ancestral origin of your direct maternal line (your mother, your mother’s mother, etc.) and connect with genetic cousins.

Mid-level mtDNA test.

since health data is only in the mtdna , they (23andme) are aiming only on this side and care little on the Ydna side. Another aim at reducing the genealogy involvement of the company
This is FTDNA test, not 23andMe.

paulgill
10-29-2015, 10:11 PM

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/211831948-Mapping-features-from-the-original-23andMe-to-the-new-23andMe

Hopefully the chromosome feature will include DNA relatives, as that is a major problem with the current DNA relatives. I also hope they update AC with less statistical issues and better clusters.

23andMe?

paulgill
10-29-2015, 10:17 PM

About the mtDNAPlus test

Mid-level mtDNA test.

That test is a total waste of money, 23andMe will give you better results than that test.

vettor
10-29-2015, 10:38 PM
That test is a total waste of money, 23andMe will give you better results than that test.
removed

wrong thread

paulgill
10-29-2015, 10:43 PM

About the mtDNAPlus test

Mid-level mtDNA test.

wrong thread

I thought it was FTDNA test as there is no such test at 23andMe, but 23andMe regular test will provide much better mtDNA results than FTDNA myDNAPlus test.

vettor
10-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I thought it was FTDNA test as there is no such test at 23andMe, but 23andMe regular test will provide much better mtDNA results than FTDNA myDNAPlus test.

both companies send there products to myHeritage to be given out on a discount basis ( except the new 23andme one )

ArmandoR1b
10-30-2015, 12:06 AM
both companies send there products to myHeritage to be given out on a discount basis ( except the new 23andme one )

Yes, but you attributed that test to 23andme when it is an FTDNA test. It clearly states Get your FamilyTreeDNA test above the mtDNA tests at http://www.myheritage.com/dna-tests

evon
11-21-2015, 06:30 PM
A few people have had their profiles transferred so far, have no idea if it is happening in alphabetic order or something else, but hopefully everyone will be on the new platform before January..

Those wanting to access the new forum (forum only, not new platform) can do so by making a new profile:

1. Copy the link below:
http://www.23andmeforums.com/entry/signin?Target=discussions

2. Log out of 23andme

3. Go to the copied link (above) and log in using your 23andme credentials.

You can edit your forum profile, including nickname and picture.

Enjoy..

Táltos
11-24-2015, 02:59 PM
evon,
I moved your post to the thread about DNA Land. Good news from them! :) http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?5578-DNA-Land-alternative-to-gedmatch/page58

evon
11-24-2015, 03:32 PM
evon,
I moved your post to the thread about DNA Land. Good news from them! :) http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?5578-DNA-Land-alternative-to-gedmatch/page58

Thanks, went a bit fast this morning...

Táltos
11-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks, went a bit fast this morning...

You're welcome. I figured you were in a hurry. :)