PDA

View Full Version : 23andme Ancestry Composition Results for Canary Islanders

jeanL
10-22-2015, 01:54 AM
I'm currently sharing with 4 people who were born in the Canary Islands and whose 4 grandparents were born in the Canary Islands. It will be interesting to get a field as to who people from different Islands score. Anyhow because two of these people are related(father-son pair) I will only include the results of the father.

Full Blooded Canary Islanders

The first person was born in the 1920s and claims ancestry from all the Islands but says most of his ancestry is from Gran Canaria:

The second person was born in the 1930s and claims ancestry from Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura:

The third person is younger and appears to have 1/2 of his ancestry from the Island of La Palma, 1/4 from the Island of Lazarote and 1/4 from Gran Canaria:

Partially Canary Islanders

The following person claims Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Islas Canarias as one of his family locations but he also has Italy and Cadiz&Granada, Spain listed so he might only be part Canary Islander. I wrote to him on 23andme but haven't heard back yet:

My Paternal Grandmother has family from 1/4 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife(This is her maternal grandmother haplogroup H1e1a), 1/8 from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, and 1/16 from just says Canarias. She has 7/16 Great Great Grandparents born in the Canary Islands, the others were born in Cuba but many have Canary Islander surnames. The Amerindian is obviously coming from her New World side:

For privacy reasons I have removed the name from each of the Ancestry Compositions and I am not sharing the Chromosome Painting, please follow these guidelines.

If your are sharing with anybody else who is from the Canary Islands please add to this thread.

Cinnamon orange
10-22-2015, 05:17 AM
Interesting how most have low level East Asian /NA. North African and SSA is not surprising, but British/Irish and French German seem to be pretty common. I wonder if it goes back to the days of the Barbary Pirates, when slave trading was common in the Med (many northern euros became slaves) or just what happens when there are busy trading spots. I did read that many Genoese, went to the Canaries, so Italian makes sense. Curious to see how they compare to various southern Spaniards.

jeanL
10-22-2015, 05:36 AM
Interesting how most have low level East Asian /NA. North African and SSA is not surprising, but British/Irish and French German seem to be pretty common. I wonder if it goes back to the days of the Barbary Pirates, when slave trading was common in the Med (many northern euros became slaves) or just what happens when there are busy trading spots. I did read that many Genoese, went to the Canaries, so Italian makes sense. Curious to see how they compare to various southern Spaniards.

There was some back migrations from families from Cuba and Puerto Rico and other New World Colonies to the Canary Islands, it is possible that this way the minor native was introduced. Although at the 0.2% level is so small it might as well be noise. The SSA is interesting because it seems all of them carry SSA, all full blooded Canary Islanders appear to have between 1.1% to 3.3% SSA according to the samples above. Though it would be good to have more samples to get a clearer picture. Nonetheless in some samples the SSA>North Africa, whereas in most of them, including my Paternal Grandmother who isn't full blooded Canary Islander the North African>SSA and sometimes is twice as big. One thing though 23andme undermines North African by a long shot according to many calculators my grandmother is ~7-10% North African. This is her DNA lands results, notice the odd high Ashkenazi/Levantine(No South European though) result as well as the high North African, though to be fair a Portuguese user got not much less North African than she did.

Here is the Steppe K10 results for her from Eurogenes:

43.53% Near_Eastern
1.22% East_Asian
0.36% Siberian
0.00% Oceanian
29.14% WHG-UHG
4.96% Sub-Saharan
2.37% Hindu_Kush
13.94% Steppe
4.49% Amerindian
0.00% Southeast_Asian

Dodecad K12b

1 Atlantic_Med 38.23
2 North_European 22.89
3 Caucasus 13.1
4 Northwest_African 7.84
5 Gedrosia 5.57
6 Southwest_Asian 4.32
7 East_Asian 2.7
8 East_African 2.05
9 Sub_Saharan 1.65
10 Siberian 1.53
11 South_Asian 0.12

It is known that both Gran Canaria and Tenerife has Sub-Saharan African slaves, it is also known that this were absorbed by the locals, there is a study of a local parish dating from the 1700s in Tenerife that detected some 15%+ mt-DNA L derived clades, attesting to the presence of Sub-Saharan Slaves, though some could have been autochthonous or of North African origin too. The aborigines appear to have carried mt-DNA L derived clades at frequencies between 7-12%. In any case it seems the SSA is widespread and varies a lot, I do wonder if the people like my grandmother and one of the full blooded Canary Islanders who have 1.6% and 1.1% SSA respectively are descendants of slaves or if it is the Canary Islander aborigine component being broken down into European+North African+SSA.

The Canary Islands also received some Norman blood too!

jeanL
10-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Here is another Canary Islander result posted in another forum, yet it doesn't say which island this person is from so not very informative:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c6es.jpg

Cinnamon orange
10-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Interesting, thanks.

I would not doubt minor Native American/East Asian on 23andme, especially if you have a historical source for it. Gedmatch is another ball park and I tend to only consider those percentages of one and over that make it into my pie charts, and of course consistency in location across calculators.

I do not know about 23andme underestimating North African commonly, it is possible, or possible some goes under general MENA. We get some from my grandfathers Arbereshe side, and some is missed as my brother has a large segment of North African that is left unassigned in my father. My father gets (if I recall correctly) 3.0 MENA, more of which is labeled North African in his children when phased, as well as some is visibly unassigned when it shows in descendants.
The North African category seems a bit odd in its make up at 23andme, I wonder if that will alter in an update.

jeanL
10-22-2015, 04:55 PM
I'm being told that the last Canary Islander I posted hails from La Gomera and Tenerife. It will be interesting to see someone whose ancestry isn't from Tenerife or Gran Canaria because those are the islands that supposedly had slaves whereas the other did not.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c6es.jpg

Here is the study of the aboriginal remains from La Gomera:

Isolation and prominent aboriginal maternal legacy in the present-day population of La Gomera(Canary Islands) (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4538205/)

Here is Table-2 showing the massive(60.7% and 70.8% respectively) amount of U6b1a in the Aborigines from La Gomera(FGN n=28, FGS n=24). Also notice how low their mt-DNA H/HV/R compared to the Aborigines from La Palma(FPA) and Tenerife(FTF). Also interesting is the high 44% amount of U6b1a in extant Gomerans(GMO) samples size n=398. Which runs from 38.9% in Aguada(AGU)(n=36) to as high as 53.7% in Alajero(ALA)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4538205/table/tbl2/

It seems La Gomera has one of the highest rate of mt-DNA U6b1a which dates back to the aborigines times they were around ~65% U6b1a nowadays they are ~44% U6b1a. They also have a high autosomal North African component. Interesting that the North African score of the person above who is half Gomeran is rather low, it leads me to believe that 23andme severely underestimate the North African component in those of Canary Islander descent. Moreover if the Aborigines in the islands were vastly different as they look in terms of their mt-DNA profiles, then it might be that their autosomal profiles were different too.

jeanL
01-18-2016, 05:59 PM

This person was born in 1930s and claims ancestry from Guimar, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Islas Canarias

This is the daughter of the above person and she also has ancestry from Guimar, Santa Cruz de Tenerife and was born in the 1950s.

This person was born in the 1950s and claims ancestry from the Canary Islands, Menorca and Spain.

JosePinto1
12-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Very interesting Iím from the Azores and have tested with all but 23 and me

JosePinto1
08-23-2018, 11:37 AM
Very interesting

pedrolanza
10-12-2018, 06:33 PM
Hello,

My paternal grandmother is full-blooded Canary Islander (mostly from Lanzarote and small percentages from Tenerife) and she got these results:

European 89,6%
Northafrican and Arabian 4,6%
Subsaharian 3,2%
Unassigned 1,9%
Nativeamerican and East Asian 0,6%
• Iberian - 56,3% (mostly Portuguese variants detected)
• Broadly Southern European – 16,2%
• Italian – 9,3%
• Northafrican and Arabian – 4,3%
• Broadly Northwestern European – 3,3%
• Broadly European – 2%
• Senegambian and Guinean – 1,1%
• British and Irish – 0,9%
• Escandinavian – 0,8%
• Broadly Subsaharian African – 0,8%
• Broadly West-African – 0,5%
• Nativeamerican – 0,5%
• Ashkenazi Jewish – 0,5%
• French and German – 0,3%
• African Hunter-Gatherer – 0,3%
• Broadly Middle-eastern and Northafrican – 0,2%
• Broadly Congolese and Southern East African – 0,2%
• Broadly Northern East African – 0,2%
• Southern East Africa – 0,2%
• Broadly Native American and East Asian – 0,1%

But with myheritage it transforms into this:

-Europe
73.0%
Iberian
58.9%
North and West European
8.8%
Finnish
1.9%
Ashkenazi Jewish
3.4%
-Africa
25.9%
North African
24.1%
Nigerian
1.8%
Middle Eastern
1.1%

My mum is 3/4 Canary Islander (half from La Gomera and 1/4 from Gran Canaria) and 1/4 from the Balearic Islands, and she gets this:

European 96,8%
Subsaharian African 1,1%
Western Asian and Northafrican 1,1%
Unassigned 1%
• Iberian - 63,1% (mostly Spanish variants detected)
• Broadly Southeuropean – 12,8%
• Italian – 12,4%
• British and Irish – 2,5%
• French and German – 2,5%
• Broadly European – 1,4%
• Broadly Northwestern European – 1,2%
• Western Asian and Northafrican – 1,1%
• Ashkenazi Jewish – 0,6%
• Senegambian and Guinean – 0,5%
• Broadly Subsaharian African – 0,4%
• Nigerian – 0,2%
• East European – 0,1%

Which transforms into this with myheritage:
-Europe
82.7%
Iberian
69.9%
Ashkenazi Jewish
6.2%
East European
5.1%
Scandinavian
1.5%
-Africa
17.3%
North African
15.4%
Nigerian
1.9%

I am myself 7/8 a Canary Islander (genealogically I am approximately 40% from Lanzarote, 25% from la Gomera, 15% from Gran Canaria, 6% from La Palma and 1,5% from Tenerife, the remaining percentage (12,5%) being from the Balearic Islands) and I haven't done my test with 23andme but with myheritage got this:

76,5% Iberian
18,5% North-african
2,3% Ashkenaze Jewish
1,8% Nigerian
0,9% West Asian

PS: I was trying to post the screenshots of the results but apparently I am not allowed to which is a bit annoying. Not a very good start in the forum.

AzureKite
11-05-2018, 01:24 AM
I'm currently sharing with 4 people who were born in the Canary Islands and whose 4 grandparents were born in the Canary Islands. It will be interesting to get a field as to who people from different Islands score. Anyhow because two of these people are related(father-son pair) I will only include the results of the father.

The first person was born in the 1920s and claims ancestry from all the Islands but says most of his ancestry is from Gran Canaria:

The second person was born in the 1930s and claims ancestry from Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura:

The third person is younger and appears to have 1/2 of his ancestry from the Island of La Palma, 1/4 from the Island of Lazarote and 1/4 from Gran Canaria:

The following person claims Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Islas Canarias as one of his family locations but he also has Italy and Cadiz&Granada, Spain listed so he might only be part Canary Islander. I wrote to him on 23andme but haven't heard back yet:

My Paternal Grandmother has family from 1/4 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife(This is her maternal grandmother haplogroup H1e1a), 1/8 from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, and 1/16 from just says Canarias. She has 7/16 Great Great Grandparents born in the Canary Islands, the others were born in Cuba but many have Canary Islander surnames. The Amerindian is obviously coming from her New World side:

For privacy reasons I have removed the name from each of the Ancestry Compositions and I am not sharing the Chromosome Painting, please follow these guidelines.

If your are sharing with anybody else who is from the Canary Islands please add to this thread.

DNA and ancestry is not the same. You can't tell how Canarian,German,French, etc ancestry someone has just by their DNA percentages.

Trixster
11-06-2018, 04:00 AM
Very interesting

I would trust the other companies over Myheritage. They give every European 1.4 to 1.8% Nigerian. That has been a glitch for over a year now. I'd err on the side of 23andme versus MH.