PDA

View Full Version : R1a, YCAII = 19,21 Distribution (Viking) for Scotland Clans/Families

2000miler
10-22-2015, 07:32 PM
I have calculated the percentage of R1a with YCAII=19,21 (plus mutations) for Scotland clans/families using the FTDNA projects. This represents 43.2% of my Baird family. Other high percentages are 81.7% for the Orr family, 49.1% for the Brandon (English?) family, and 18.9% for the Donald family. Norway has 9.3%. The percentages for all of the other 31 surnames I've checked are 5% or less, many 0%.

I can understand why the Donald family has such a high percentage based on the Somerled connection, but I don't understand why a much higher percentage exists for the other three families. Baird researchers have never found a record pointing to a Viking connection for our lowland family.

Any ideas?

Bruce Baird

rncambron
10-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Most commentators focus on the Boar legend associated with King William and hence assume a lowland origin but the name does occur in Aberdeen and vicinity from early times.The north east of 'Scotland' was of course the subject of continuous input from Scandinavia from early times.

2000miler
10-23-2015, 12:28 AM
Thanks. One of our researchers is a baronet and is descended from the Aberdeen Bairds, who showed up there in the 1500s. The earliest record is an 1189 land grant by Fergus Mackabard near Carnwarth, Lanarkshire . Following that is a record dated 1229 involving a Richard Baard in Lanarkshire. The boar legend is a "bear" legend in some writings, but the boar is on the Aberdeen Baird arms.