PDA

View Full Version : GEDmatch and our Raw Data

Mbantua
10-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Something rather odd and interesting has happened in my kit account over at GEDmatch. Someone seems to have obtained my v3 23andMe Raw Data, and posted it over at GEDmatch. So now I have an identical twin. I have reported to GEDmatch as I personally consider it unethical to post some other person's Raw Data to any site without permission or at least the person concerned knowing of it rather than logging into GEDmatch and finding a "twin".

I suppose that is the downside of these Open-source sites, people using your Raw Data without permission and without your knowledge. I should have expected something like this as I use Open-source sites but I always considered my results to be utterly boring except to me.

anglesqueville
10-24-2015, 09:19 AM
The question is: how could someone download your raw datas from 23andMe without your permission?

paulgill
10-24-2015, 09:32 AM
The question is: how could someone download your raw datas from 23andMe without your permission?

The answer is by hacking.

BalkanKiwi
10-24-2015, 09:33 AM
The answer is by hacking.

Correct. Someone would have gained access to the server all our files are stored on. As we know, they aren't readily available to download publicly from GEDmatch.

anglesqueville
10-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Correct. Someone would have gained access to the server all our files are stored on. As we know, they aren't readily available to download publicly from GEDmatch.

Scarry. What could be the benefits for the hacker? In any case I hope that Mbuanta has informed 23andMe. The problem is with them, not with gedmatch.

evon
10-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Something rather odd and interesting has happened in my kit account over at GEDmatch. Someone seems to have obtained my v3 23andMe Raw Data, and posted it over at GEDmatch. So now I have an identical twin. I have reported to GEDmatch as I personally consider it unethical to post some other person's Raw Data to any site without permission or at least the person concerned knowing of it rather than logging into GEDmatch and finding a "twin".

I suppose that is the downside of these Open-source sites, people using your Raw Data without permission and without your knowledge. I should have expected something like this as I use Open-source sites but I always considered my results to be utterly boring except to me.

Are you sure you have not shared the raw file with anyone, as if 23andme experienced a hack I am fairly certain it would affect more then just one person and it would likely be mentioned by 23andme or any of their co-operated companies, such as security companies who are usually very open about hacks..

Krefter
10-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Do you remember emailing your data to anyone? Does anyone in your family have access to your data and may have emailed it to someone?

paulgill
10-24-2015, 09:52 AM
Scarry. What could be the benefits for the hacker? In any case I hope that Mbuanta has informed 23andMe. The problem is with them, not with gedmatch.

Same as the Weasel, it will kill what it can catch even when its belly is full. The Psychopathic mentality.

Mbantua
10-24-2015, 10:28 AM
I doubt anybody hacked into 23andMe and took my Raw Data. I do not use my real names over there, I am totally anonymous in as far as my nickname and I use invented first and second names as my real names. I am autistic, I like to burn my tracks and make myself invisible. The problem probably is my usage of OpenSNP, you can download anyone's Raw Data from there if you are a member. 23andMe have >1 Meg customers, any hacker would be looking for needles in a haystack to find me.

As I said, I contacted GEDmatch by email and sent the "twin" a Please Explain email. I do not think the twin would reply. But seriously, my results are dead boring. I have SNPs that say I should be bald, I am not. I have SNPs saying I am lactose intolerant, I drink milk same quantity as my wife, no problema. You cannot tell a whole lot from my data. How tall was La Brana? Were his eyes really blue considering his dark skin SNP results, maybe green or hazel but blue, I doubt it. Was La Brana a homosexual, was he a leader or a root rat (Aussie slang)?

BMG
10-24-2015, 12:39 PM
I too don't think anybody hacked 23andme . If you are member of projects like Open SNP these can happen and you can't complain because you know this could while joining it . But again I wonder why would anybody waste their time to do it .
Some people have shared their 23andme and ftdna autosomal data with me which I use for my own little research but would never share with any third party . It is their prerogative and I shouldn't interfere with that .

Though I don't find it scary since it wouldn't be of any real use to anyone to harm me in anyway I would be annoyed since it would be a breach of my privacy .

Mbantua
10-24-2015, 01:25 PM
I am not annoyed, but I am nonplussed. I think of myself as a wonderful creation but really my Raw Data is quite ordinary, nothing special. The person who stole my Raw Data has an email with @126.com, which is Chinese. Now what would a Chinese hacker want to use my GEDmatch matches most of which are bogus, and if contacted by his (my matches) cannot tell them anything of genealogical use. He cannot find out my Y chromosome haplogroup subclade as 23andMe's testing is quite basic. My Promethease Report looks like just about every other report I have seen. It boggles the mind, why did the Chinese person do this.

Scarlet Ibis
10-24-2015, 04:35 PM
OpenSNP is probably the source of the problem.

The only rational explanation I can think of for some nerd to upload a fake account with the raw data on gedmatch is to hope to fish for emails & passwords from people who email the fake account hoping to make a genealogical connection.

Either way, it's strange.