PDA

View Full Version : Cheap haplogroup testing?

Erik
10-24-2015, 07:30 PM
What is a cheap test that can show both of your haplogroups? Since 23andme jumped up in price, I need to get something cheaper for my relatives.

vettor
10-24-2015, 07:39 PM
What is a cheap test that can show both of your haplogroups? Since 23andme jumped up in price, I need to get something cheaper for my relatives.

Nat-geno 2 next generation...$150.........you get ydna and mtdna on the latest isogg trees and IIRC you can then transfer it to ftdna ( but, unsure if next gen you can transfer , old version 2.0 you could )

Erik
10-24-2015, 07:41 PM
Nat-geno 2 next generation...$150.........you get ydna and mtdna on the latest isogg trees and IIRC you can then transfer it to ftdna ( but, unsure if next gen you can transfer , old version 2.0 you could )

Hi, I looked into it and it's 199 for me.

vettor
10-24-2015, 07:45 PM

$150 i was told yesterday with a $10 delivery anywhere in the world

Huntergatherer1066
10-24-2015, 07:48 PM
It goes on sale fairly often for $150 or $160 sometimes for long periods of time, it's never more than $199 though.

lgmayka
10-25-2015, 01:58 PM
The $50 price discount was only valid for two days, October 22-23. But such discounts reappear occasionally.

FTDNA says:
---
We can now confirm that National Geographic's Geno 2 Next Gen, launched last month, will still be transferable to FTDNA for free. In addition, once the file has been transferred, you’ll be able to upgrade to Family Finder for a small fee.
---

GMan71
02-14-2016, 12:47 AM
Not sure if this is the best thread but anyways...
My parents in law both want to get into this DNA caper. Was wondering what the best way in is these days? I went via National Geographic Geno 1 many years back (12 marker Y, no mtdna, no autosomal)then transfer to FTDNA and a whole lot of upgrades - Y67, full mtdna, family finder, specific tests/packs.

At this stage they aren't so much into family trees and contacting cousins but that may change. Is Nat Geo 2 then tfr to FTDNA a better way in than straight to FTDNA? There is a big price difference so assume testing levels are different?

After the autosomal test for "country of origin" estimates plus Y and mtDNA haplogroups. Does Nat Geo 2 give the full mtDNA haplogroup as per FTDNA - or when the transfer to FTDNA is made will the full mtDNA test still need be done? Will the Y DNA be tested in enough depth to know a detailed enough subclade? Or again will there need be say an upgrade to Y67 and then the further specific tests - ie R1b backbone or R1a-Z284 etc.
Cheers!