PDA

View Full Version : Anglo- Virginian's AncestryDNA results

Anglo- Virginian
10-26-2015, 04:08 AM
These would be my DNA results for AncestryDNA. I assume that this particular company goes for slightly deeper ancestry than 23andMe.

http://i.imgur.com/5yKmrb5.jpg

AnnieD
10-26-2015, 04:39 AM
These would be my DNA results for AncestryDNA. I assume that this particular company goes for slightly deeper ancestry than 23andMe.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable of test methodologies can correct me, but I was under the impression that 23andMe claimed a roughly 500 year range vs. FTDNA up to 1,000 year range. Your British score on this test would probably look more compatible with 23andMe if you added the Great Britain and Ireland categories. However, it is still a fair amount lower, so possibly your Colonial American heritage is fairly admixed between the earlier British Isles and western continental populations such that the algorithms at the different tests pick up different signals.

Anglo- Virginian
10-26-2015, 04:53 AM
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable of test methodologies can correct me, but I was under the impression that 23andMe claimed a roughly 500 year range vs. FTDNA up to 1,000 year range. Your British score on this test would probably look more compatible with 23andMe if you added the Great Britain and Ireland categories. However, it is still a fair amount lower, so possibly your Colonial American heritage is fairly admixed between the earlier British Isles and western continental populations such that the algorithms at the different tests pick up different signals.

I tend to agree, actually. I'm also rather of the opinion that there was some considerable western continental admixture among my British ancestors, although I don't have any documentation. To my knowledge, as well as my English ans Scottish/Scots- Irish blood, I have 1/8 French Cajun origins and 1/16 German American who mixed with my largely English and partly Scots/ Scots- Irish ancestors in this country. I may theoretically have Scandinavian ancestry as well, although there is no documentation of that, either.

Erik
10-26-2015, 05:09 AM
I may theoretically have Scandinavian ancestry as well, although there is no documentation of that, either.

Vikings? :P

Anglo- Virginian
10-26-2015, 05:12 AM

Or settlers from New Sweden that found their way to Maryland. My grandmother, Elna Thorne, went by her mother's family name until she married my granddad. Her father might have been a proper Swede, who knows? :)

Baltimore1937
10-26-2015, 06:48 AM
I have a thread going between Delaware and Baltimore, MD. It is many generations ago on my maternal branch. Swedish and Dutch connecting to basic Anglo back there in different threads. I'd have to check my Ancestry tree to sort it out.

ADW_1981
10-26-2015, 06:27 PM

Everyone with roots from UK has some Scandinavian ancestry to a varying degree. Silly comment.