PDA

View Full Version : Question for all Europeans who took a DNA test

Erik
11-03-2015, 03:54 AM
Hi, I was wondering that when you sent your sample, did you need to fill out any sort of customs form to send it back to the US?

I'm going to send a TribeCode kit to my cousins in Sweden. For TribeCode, like Geno 2.0, it has a small envelope to send back in which you need to add stamps to. It just has the address on it, and nothing else. If they see a letter with a vial containing saliva and a chemical being sent to the US, wouldn't they get suspicious and confiscate it? Wouldn't US customs have an issue with it?

Thank you if you can help me with this.

anglesqueville
11-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Hi Erik. I have experience for 3 companies: 23andMe, ftdna and yseq. For 23andMe, as they use a a transport contractor ( DHL ), I had to fill out an export form for biological samples (very simple, I did that 4 times, no problem, despite the fact that genetical tests are prohibited in France lol). For ftdna and yseq, that was like you wrote for TribeCode and geno 2.0 ( 2 times with ftdna, 1 time with yseq, no problem).

Salkin
12-27-2015, 05:00 PM
It hasn't been a problem for me with either 23andMe, FTDNA or Geno 2.0, so I don't think there will be an issue. I hope it went well!

psaglav
12-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Hey there,

I added the print out of an email from Ftdna stating that the samples are non-toxic human saliva intended for genealogy/research purposes. That seemed to work.

Good luck!