PDA

View Full Version : SNP not on tree

AOK
11-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Where can you find out more about an SNP that is not on the Y-SNP tree (neither ISOGG nor others I know of)? Y-broswe shows the position on the chromosome for some but does not seem to have a link to anything that gives the SNP's position in the tree. SNPs aren't any fun if you can't place them in the hierarchy.

Cofgene
11-03-2015, 10:51 PM
First start with the name(s) that will provide you with the source. One can also mine the results from systems in the major R haplogroups to see if the SNP is associated with any of their samples. If the ybrowse citation has someone listed as derived then the result will be in the YSEQ system.

lgmayka
11-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Where can you find out more about an SNP that is not on the Y-SNP tree (neither ISOGG nor others I know of)?
Do you mean a SNP not in YFull's haplotree? (Here is the search page for SNPs in YFull's haplotree (http://yfull.com/search-snp-in-tree/).)

AOK
11-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Yes, not in YFull, or ht35 project, or ISOGG or BritainsDNA (the latter being by private comm.).
Back in the day, I recall a table of results posted (can't remember name of poster) with a link from DNA-Forums. I have no link for it and it may be outdated now with the flood of results from full sequencing. But something like that would help.

VinceT
11-05-2015, 01:27 AM
Which SNP, exactly? Knowing which lab identified it, and when, can provide clues to further info. There are dozens, hundreds of SNPs in haplogroup R that are equivalent to other SNPs that already exist on the various haplogroup R trees, but aren't explicitly shown anywhere because of, well I don't know exactly.

Many of them are listed in the Magoon et al. (2013 preprint) (http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2013/11/22/000802.1.figures-only), "Supporting Information B" zip file.

AOK
11-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Thanks but nothing useful there. I thought maybe there was an easy answer; I guess not. I don't want to list specific SNPs without knowing more about their significance. So, I guess I'll just wait impatiently.