PDA

View Full Version : The Balkan Food Thread

BalkanKiwi
11-09-2015, 11:37 AM
I thought I'd make a thread so everyone can discuss Balkan food, because lets face it, Balkan people love to eat :biggrin1:

I wasn't raised with a lot of Balkan culture, so I wasn't exposed to a lot of dishes. The one I had a lot of as a kid, even though it isn't a main meal (unless you love it a lot) is kroštule. My grandmother used to make them regularly, so I had them on a weekly basis. I've made blitva which I find to be quite good. I used to eat ajvar but I've gone off it because I can't find anything it tastes amazing on. Suggestions would be great.

Kroštule

http://www.recepti-svijeta.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/krostule.jpg

Blitva

http://kuhari.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/KrumpirBlitva3-1024x582.jpg?164733

gruder
11-09-2015, 09:07 PM
The Krostule reminds me of the crab rangoons they serve at Asian Buffets. I don't think I've ever tried Balkan food, but I'd love to. It looks pretty tasty.

zarkusa
12-14-2015, 05:56 PM
I used to eat ajvar but I've gone off it because I can't find anything it tastes amazing on. Suggestions would be great.

Ćevapi ? :biggrin1:

Mamluk
12-14-2015, 06:51 PM
^That looks good! My family makes ajvar, but usually in the summertime, especially for barbeques, when it's scooped up with pita bread.

It also goes well with pastries (börek/burek) that are fried, instead of baked. (Watch out for heartburn, so you have to drink ayran--a cold, churned yogurt drink--with it.

surbakhunWeesste
12-15-2015, 09:04 PM
I had a Bosnian Teaching Assistant... she once told me that their cuisine is mostly comprised of fried dish! how true is it ? I only know of few dishes.

Arbogan
12-20-2015, 12:44 PM
I had a Bosnian Teaching Assistant... she once told me that their cuisine is mostly comprised of fried dish! how true is it ? I only know of few dishes.

Tbh their food is like some mix of greek-Turkish food, with a bit of ukranian/Carpathian influence. They have things like cevapici(Balkan kebab), ajvar, other stuff. Every countrie's food culture seems to be the result of the influences around it.

Gravetto-Danubian
12-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Tbh their food is like some mix of greek-Turkish food, with a bit of ukranian/Carpathian influence. They have things like cevapici(Balkan kebab), ajvar, other stuff. Every countrie's food culture seems to be the result of the influences around it.

I'd say that's a fairly accurate description. A mix of Central European and Mediterranean, as expected ;)

Coldmountains
12-20-2015, 01:56 PM

Which kind of ukrainian food Bosnians have? I did not know that Bosnian cuisine had ukrainian influences.

Arbogan
12-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Which kind of ukrainian food Bosnians have? I did not know that Bosnian cuisine had ukrainian influences.

I'm talking about the soup, cabbage based dishes, and the different baked and stews.

Volat
12-21-2015, 08:19 AM
Ukraine maybe considered an eastern or south-eastern in relation to Russia , Poland and Belarus. But Ukrainian cuisine is north- east European the most part. To 90% it is similar to Polish, Belarusian, Lithuanian and Russian cuisines. The main difference I can see between our (Belarusian, Russian, Polish) and Ukrainian cuisine is the kind of grains Ukrainians use in bread making. We used rye in bread making because rye was yielding better crops in northern climate, while Ukraine used wheat because it was blessed with warmer climate and fertile soil. Also Ukrainians have more vegetables and fruits in their diets.

Gravetto-Danubian
12-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Ukraine maybe considered an eastern or south-eastern in relation to Russia , Poland and Belarus. But Ukrainian cuisine is north- east European the most part. To 90% it is similar to Polish, Belarusian, Lithuanian and Russian cuisines. The main difference I can see between our (Belarusian, Russian, Polish) and Ukrainian cuisine is the kind of grains Ukrainians use in bread making. We used rye in bread making because rye was yielding better crops in northern climate, while Ukraine used wheat because it was blessed with warmer climate and fertile soil. Also Ukrainians have more vegetables and fruits in their diets.

So what's a traditional Belorussian cuisine ?

Volat
12-22-2015, 09:26 AM
So what's a traditional Belorussian cuisine ?

This is a broad topic. In general traditional Belarusian cuisine is similar to Polish and Lithuanian. I am referencing Polish cuisine because it's more known than Belarusian around the world. Not only we cook similar dishes we also use the same names for the dishes. Lithuanian cuisine is probably more similar to ours than Polish. But Lithuanians use Baltic names for their dishes and there're some regional variation about their cuisine. For example we make potato dumplings round, while Lithuanians make them oval. The names of dishes in Lithuanian are confusing. Latgalian cuisine (east Latvian) is also similar to ours in many ways. They use the same ingredients, spices and cooking techniques. But I can see a difference between Latglians and north Belarusians.

tamilgangster
12-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Ćevapi ? :biggrin1:

whats the difference between cevapi and kepapi

olive picker
01-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Burek :D

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/153/368879447_23a21ffec7.jpg

Mamluk
01-22-2016, 06:24 AM
^I just had that for lunch today.
(It was made with spinach and feta cheese)