PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA's marketing of SNP Packs

GTC
11-12-2015, 01:54 PM
FTDNA has recently begun rolling out what it calls SNP Packs -- panels of some 100 or so known SNPs priced (currently) at $119 well below their flagship SNP product BIG Y priced (currently) at $595.

The SNP Packs represent good value for teh budget conscious when you consider that FTDNA charges $39 for single SNP tests of known SNPs and, when chosen wisely, they can advance male customers quite a way down their haplotree.

FTDNA is advertising these SNP packs by way of their Y haplotree. For example, FTDNA is offering me the Z8 SNP Pack (94 SNPs) -- however I have already done the BIG Y test and am therefore tested for thousands of SNPs. The Z8 SNP Pack for me is completely redundant.

FTDNA knows that I have done the BIG Y test, so it ought to be able to suppress any such redundant enticement from my haplotree, but it hasn't.

FTDNA customers who have joined Y haplogroup projects should, in the main, be able to obtain guidance from their project's administrators on whether or not a particular SNP Pack is suitable for them. Project Admins have access to members' various test results to date including their Y STRs and, in the right hands, that information can be used for wise guidance when it comes to deeper SNP testing.

If you are an FTDNA customer with a confirmed Y haplogroup then you are seriously advised to join the applicable Y Haplogroup project and ask for guidance before considering ordering any SNP Pack that FTDNA offers by way of your haplotree page.

paulgill
11-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Solution to all that at FTDNA is to go for Y Elite 2.0 or WGS 4x, 10x etc. at FullGenomes.

FTDNA have its Y Tree upside down at my Major Subclade, it failed even to use my Geno 2.0 results properly and won't make corrections even after repeated requests, and actually showing 216+ SNPs in blue that I should test for while they and I both know that I am negative for them all.

I am done with FTDNA ,and have taken FullGenome WGS and results are due any moment now.

TigerMW
11-13-2015, 03:39 PM
... If you are an FTDNA customer with a confirmed Y haplogroup then you are seriously advised to join the applicable Y Haplogroup project and ask for guidance before considering ordering any SNP Pack that FTDNA offers by way of your haplotree page.
Agreed. Get in the right haplogroup project!

Some times this can be a little confusing with all of the SNP alphabet soup out there.

However, this is now easy as help is available. Just join the big R1b project and we have special approval to transfer SNP tested people to their correct major haplogroup project. It's called the "gateway service".
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r1b/about/background

Wow, just checked this morning. There are now over 7800 in the project... and I just moved a few new people to project, i.e. U106 and DF27.

Táltos
11-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Solution to all that at FTDNA is to go for Y Elite 2.0 or WGS 4x, 10x etc. at FullGenomes.

FTDNA have its Y Tree upside down at my Major Subclade, it failed even to use my Geno 2.0 results properly and won't make corrections even after repeated requests, and actually showing 216+ SNPs in blue that I should test for while they and I both know that I am negative for them all.

I am done with FTDNA ,and have taken FullGenome WGS and results are due any moment now.
paulgill,
This is a reminder to stay on topic. This thread is about FTDNA's SNP packs. We know from numerous threads that you support Full Genomes. Please do not derail, thank you.

paulgill
11-14-2015, 12:22 AM
paulgill,
This is a reminder to stay on topic. This thread is about FTDNA's SNP packs. We know from numerous threads that you support Full Genomes. Please do not derail, thank you.

Sorry. But I think it is not totally unrelated. I think all here should be informing other about the best cost effective alternatives available. It is not that I support Full Genomes, I only support their cost effective and better tests, same for the YSEQ less than half price SNP tests, however, wherever suitable I do support FTDNA SNP Packs and also their FF even when Ancestory.com similar transferable test is also available at the same price.

I think in some cases SNP Packs end up costing customers a lot without them finding out their terminal SNP while the same money could have been used towards a NGS test.

VinceT
11-14-2015, 06:25 AM
@paulgill, you had been duly warned. This thread is about FTDNA's SNP Packs and how FTDNA is marketing them. The OP was not seeking a discussion about the offerings of its competitors. If you cannot remain relevant to the OP's content, please start a new thread in a more generic forum, but I'm certain that there are several already in existence.

paulgill
11-14-2015, 07:04 AM
@paulgill, you had been duly warned. This thread is about FTDNA's SNP Packs and how FTDNA is marketing them. The OP was not seeking a discussion about the offerings of its competitors. If you cannot remain relevant to the OP's content, please start a new thread in a more generic forum, but I'm certain that there are several already in existence.

Very interesting, I hope you noticed that I started my reply with an apology.

GTC
11-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Okay, enough of this already. Taltos made the point very clear above.

GTC
12-19-2015, 09:09 AM
FTDNA is advertising these SNP packs by way of their Y haplotree. For example, FTDNA is offering me the Z8 SNP Pack (94 SNPs) -- however I have already done the BIG Y test and am therefore tested for thousands of SNPs. The Z8 SNP Pack for me is completely redundant.

FTDNA knows that I have done the BIG Y test, so it ought to be able to suppress any such redundant enticement from my haplotree, but it hasn't.

Just updating this: FTDNA has now removed the promotion for the Z8 SNP Pack from my haplotree page (and has updated my haplogroup classification to reflect in some part my Big Y data -- see more about that process here: http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?6043-FTDNA-updating-personal-haplotrees-to-reflect-Big-Y-results)

GTC
12-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Wow, just checked this morning. There are now over 7800 in the [R1b Gateway] project... and I just moved a few new people to project, i.e. U106 and DF27.

Mike, reflecting on that figure of 7800, do you delete kits from the Gateway Project once they have been assigned to their "correct" project?

If so, are you saying that there are still some 7800 or so kits in limbo?