PDA

View Full Version : Question of a genealogy peasant

anglesqueville
11-14-2015, 05:32 PM
To date I was not very interested by genealogical genetics, but things have changed this morning. I had not visited my mother's relatives list on gedmatch ( nor mine) for a long time, and I had this morning an emotion as I read, just after my own line, this one:
A 1449.3 214.5 1.7 X 194.6 119.4 ****** ******.com
The name ****** is scottish, but of course this person may be british, or from US, or may be married to a ******. Of course I get myself this woman on my relatives list, with MRCA = 2.9 (or 2.8 don't recall) and, of course, my mather and me are on the relative's list of this *****, and the segments are converging. The trick is, we are, as far as we know, pure norman people, without any recent ancestry elsewhere. Everybody can understand my surprise.

Question 1: is the MRCA estimation accurate for a close relativeness? This is the most important. The following questions are correlated:
Question 2: the paternal grand-father of my mother was a foundling, therefore we don't know anything about him. What are the possible ( or reasonably hypothetical) connexions between this man and the MRCA of my mother and this ******.
Question 3: on 23andMe, the closest relative of my mother (after myself) is a likely 3d cousin, anonymous. May this person be the same than ****** ?

Sorry to ask so personal questions, usually I hate this, but this matter is quite confusing.

ffoucart
11-16-2015, 06:51 PM
I will look at your results, but even if if the number of generations is wrong, this is in all probability a close relative.

PS: as an example, my gf/her grand mother:

A
total 1526.6
largest 77
gen 1.6
X
total 107.4
largest 33.4

I think it looks relatively similar to your mother's results.

There is no doubt of a very close relationship.

But, as you know nothing about your relative (except she's a woman, and have a British name), it's difficult to say more. Her age could be very interesting, as it could reduce the possibilities.

To my point of view, she looks like an aunt or a 1st cousin of your mother, and given how the X chromosome is transmitted, having her tree could lead you to a very good candidate to be your ancestor.

Given what you said about her grand father being a foundling, it means he could have brothers or sisters, perhaps far younger than him. So a 1st cousin once removed is a possibility.

But, there is many other possibilities (not involving your great grand father).

Does she tested with 23andme?

ffoucart
11-17-2015, 05:54 AM
on second thought, he couldn't be the link with your relative, as you share some segments on chromosome X. As he was the paternal grand father of your mother, she has not inherited some part of her X from him, as your grandfather inherited his Y from him.

anglesqueville
11-17-2015, 07:43 AM
on second thought, he couldn't be the link with your relative, as you share some segments on chromosome X. As he was the paternal grand father of your mother, she has not inherited some part of her X from him, as your grandfather inherited his Y from him.

That's what I thought finally: if the path goes through her father (if!) that's necessarily through her paternal grand mother. I don't know anything special about this woman, she was, as far as we know, a norman from Cherbourg, final point. This story is very ... dark. I wonder wether it could not just be a system failure in gedmatch data processing, despite the fact that I would be incredibly proud to have asserted scottish ancestors. But the more I think, the less I understand how this would be possible.
edit: I forgot something very important: to thank you for your thoughts.
2d edit: there is allways a possibility: cuckoldry. If we accept the hypothesis that my mother's father is not her biological father, anything becomes possible. Hopefully my mother will not read this post (and ask her english neighbours to translate it :behindsofa:

ffoucart
11-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Cuckoldry or Non Paternal Event is not as frequent as some people think, and often family's secret are not so secret. Often people know more or less what happened. Not always the children, even if often they have doubts.
And if cuckoldry is probably the easiest solution, it is not necessarily the good one.

Even if it's cuckoldry, your grand father could still be your grand father, but perhaps also the grand father of somebody else, unknown to you.

Or your grand mother did have an affair before marriage.

Or ...

You must test your lines to find which one cluster with your relative and then try to find out what happened.

Kwheaton
11-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Anglesqueville,

I am not sure of your time frames...but my first thought was one of a liason during WWII. Would that fit? And remember women served too. There were lots if servicemen on the beaches if Normandy and the surrounding countryside.

anglesqueville
11-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Thanks Kwheaton. Would that fit? In french, we say: "je suis dans le brouillard": "I am in the fog". That means: I don't understand at all how this is possible.

ffoucart
11-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Given your birth year, and your mother's age (estimated), this could not be linked either with WWI or WWII. But tourism became relatively common in the late XIXth century.
Some Brits crossed the Channel to look at old church, to paint landscape or to go to the "Gay Paris".

What was your great grand mother job? Another question: is your grandmother born shortly after her parents wedding (less than 9 minths) of before?

Kwheaton
12-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Just checked back on this thread and see there are no new posts. Did you solve the mystery?

anglesqueville
12-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Just checked back on this thread and see there are no new posts. Did you solve the mystery?

No. My mother has a brother (unfortunately dead for two years), and he was 18 or 19 at the end of WWII. Beautiful tall redhead and blue eyed guy ... everything is possible, and this hypothesis could match, but I cannot see how I could verify. My hopes of scottish ancestry are likely gone, as more likely a scottish woman has very recent norman ancestors... I have not yet had the courage to tell this story to my mother...