PDA

View Full Version : Diet drinks' 'link to depression' questioned

Clinton P
01-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Experts are questioning whether diet drinks could raise depression risk, after a large study has found a link.

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20943509) to read more about this.

Clinton P

DMXX
01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Read about this earlier today. The authors went on to note a lack of depressive symptoms in those who drank coffee.

What I am wondering is, whether this supposed correlation is actually due to some psychological confounding factor.

It is no surprise to any readers here that obesity is an endemic health problem in the developed world. So, is it not likely the reported depressive symptoms are a biopsychological manifestation of being obese, and the marketing of "diet" products simply gives us a commodity marker to confirm this with?

AJL
01-09-2013, 04:53 PM
It is no surprise to any readers here that obesity is an endemic health problem in the developed world. So, is it not likely the reported depressive symptoms are a biopsychological manifestation of being obese, and the marketing of "diet" products simply gives us a commodity marker to confirm this with?

It's amazing how many studies do not unpack assumptions.

For example, I recall a study showing that men with younger wives lived longer. Did they control for socioeconomic status? No. Do rich and well-educated people live longer? Yes. Are rich men more apt to marry later (because they are getting educated or making money), and are they therefore more likely to be able to choose younger spouses? Likely, yes.

Scarlet Ibis
01-10-2013, 04:12 AM
It's amazing how many studies do not unpack assumptions.

For example, I recall a study showing that men with younger wives lived longer. Did they control for socioeconomic status? No. Do rich and well-educated people live longer? Yes. Are rich men more apt to marry later (because they are getting educated or making money), and are they therefore more likely to be able to choose younger spouses? Likely, yes.

I was ranting about this the other day, actually. It seems to have gotten worse within the past few years, although it's possible that I've just been paying more attention lately. I've been suspecting it might be because scientists, and journalists alike are under increasing pressure to find some way to justify, and package findings in a way that gets more attention, and thus more funding/money.

At least this article is fair, though, and offers an alternative.

"For a start, people who suffer from depression may latch on to the idea that it is their sweetened beverages that caused it and so add a bias to their reporting of past intake, especially as 'soda' in the US is demonised even more than in the UK. Also, it may be that drinking 'diet' drinks is a marker for obesity or diabetes which in themselves can cause depression.

Clinton P
01-10-2013, 04:06 PM
“The soft drink might rot your teeth, but it's actually an effective first line of treatment for some stomach blockages.”

Click here (http://www.livescience.com/26124-coca-cola-stomach-blockages.html) to read more about this story

Clinton P

AJL
01-11-2013, 01:23 AM
I was ranting about this the other day, actually. It seems to have gotten worse within the past few years, although it's possible that I've just been paying more attention lately. I've been suspecting it might be because scientists, and journalists alike are under increasing pressure to find some way to justify, and package findings in a way that gets more attention, and thus more funding/money.

There's an excellent chance you've hit the nail on the head there: publication > reputation > funding > publication, or something like that.

MikeWhalen
01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I find adding Canadian or Irish whiskey to diet drinks purifies it enough that it becomes a good, healthy and tasty choice
:)

Mike

thetick
01-12-2013, 04:56 AM
WARNING !!! Very important, please read!!! Vodka and ice will ruin your kidneys. Rum and ice will ruin your liver. Whiskey and ice will ruin your heart. Gin and ice will ruin your brain. Coke and ice will ruin your teeth. That ice is lethal!!!

Sometimes it seems certain studies are not any more thought out then the above :(

AJL
01-12-2013, 05:30 AM
WARNING !!! Very important, please read!!! Vodka and ice will ruin your kidneys. Rum and ice will ruin your liver. Whiskey and ice will ruin your heart. Gin and ice will ruin your brain. Coke and ice will ruin your teeth. That ice is lethal!!!

Sometimes it seems certain studies are not any more thought out then the above :(

So I'm fine with my neat whisky, then? :beerchug:

Scarlet Ibis
01-12-2013, 06:13 AM
lol Exactly. I'll just keep drinking my vodka mixed drinks without ice, then. :P

thetick
01-12-2013, 07:48 PM
On a more serious side actually chewing ice can cause very small cracks in your teeth which allows more bacteria growth and tooth decay.

Clinton P
06-27-2013, 01:45 PM
“A 31-year-old Monaco woman was recently admitted to the hospital after suffering arrhythmia and fainting spells. Her potassium levels were found to be absurdly, dangerously low.”

Click here (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-06/woman-drinks-coke-instead-water-16-years) to read more about this story

Clinton P

rms2
06-27-2013, 06:41 PM
I like an occasional Coke or Pepsi, but I prefer beer. :beerchug: