PDA

View Full Version : Undo your myGroups conversion

razyn
11-25-2015, 06:08 PM
Am I alone in thinking that clicking this blue button on the first GAP screen, while efficient in its way, is a poor substitute for actually looking in on one's myGroups "Activity Feed," and answering some of the questions that have been posted there by one's members since last spring?

dp
11-25-2015, 06:21 PM
I have the opposite problem. Can't get people to talk to each other on some projects I help administer. Guess they limit chatting to only email matches. Fortunately, I am coadmin on a surname group that does have communication between members. Don't know if it's related, but we have the activity feed set so only members can read it. People share photos on it, tell family history, etc.
I've never considered going back to the old way. Pity that we can't get a front-end panel for active thread. Instead of having to browse through pages of messages to make sure we've tended to whatever we need to. A lot of times I'm not interested in the old traffic; just stuff since I was last on.
dp :-)
I was very bad at following 23andme messages. Now I can't figure out how to add a comment to a share invite.

ANTHROGENICA & BB code sites are the best :-)

razyn
11-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Fortunately, I am coadmin on a surname group that does have communication between members.

I do that in the DF27 haplogroup project, it isn't such a big drain on my time, and it does tend to respond to what group members are actually interested in (if anything). My primary beef is with a mtDNA group in which the members were happily chatting from April until about October, when an admin finally noticed that there was such a thing as myGroups -- and hit the said blue button. So all of our discussions went away to Cyber Limbo -- and the admin(s) had never responded to anything there.

dp
12-22-2015, 05:40 PM
I do that in the DF27 haplogroup project, it isn't such a big drain on my time, and it does tend to respond to what group members are actually interested in (if anything). My primary beef is with a mtDNA group in which the members were happily chatting from April until about October, when an admin finally noticed that there was such a thing as myGroups -- and hit the said blue button. So all of our discussions went away to Cyber Limbo -- and the admin(s) had never responded to anything there.
Dear razyn,
Now I see what got you thinking about this topic. :-)
dp :-)
PS: Happy Holidays

TigerMW
01-08-2016, 04:39 PM
I hate going to check the Activity Feed, but I also hate checking some of the Facebook forums, etc. too. I like the myGroups enhancements in general, including the Activity Feed. I just don't like checking them. There is not anyway to have new Activity Feed postings emailed to yourself, is there?

I don't even like Yahoo groups but it has the functionality needed, including integrated free file storage, new member authorization, etc. and it is standard across larger R1b subclade projects.

I've resigned that I have to check these various forums periodically and need to have a more disciplined schedule for doing so.

It's actually the individual emails that sink me. Oftentimes it is the same questions over and over.... so forums are very very useful. For project stuff I tend to push people over to the yahoo groups just to get them use to using them. On many of these there is help from other project administrators there or "super"/"technical" members.