PDA

View Full Version : Commercial testing - Australian Aboriginal ancestry

PeterR
11-27-2015, 11:03 PM
Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I want to look at potential Australian Aboriginal ancestry 4 generations back. Many of us have zero chance of finding our past through official records as children were removed, Aboriginal fathers not acknowledged on birth records, etc. - a less pleasant part of our history.

Anyhow is anyone aware of services which sample and[I] attempt to attribute Australian Aboriginal ancestry? The GEO2 program might well have samples but the website indicates it does [B]not[B] assign probability to this group. This may be for political reasons?

The only service I can see which attempts to attribute probability of affinity with Australian Aboriginal populations is DNA Tribes. My review of their website (supported by comments on this blog) suggest is not the most, well [I]robust assignment for the purpose.

Any other suggestions?

Any help most appreciated!

Peter

ashstar
07-27-2016, 06:52 AM
Hi Peter,

Old thread but incase your still wondering most DNA companies will pick up on your indigenous ancestry it will just show up as oceanian/Polynesian or something similar. Some gedmatch calculators will pick up on Aust. Aboriginal too.

BalkanKiwi
07-27-2016, 10:34 AM
As ashstar has mentioned, the likes of 23andMe and FTDNA will pick up your ancestry under various populations. Using that data through calculators on GEDMatch will refine your results more.