PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA's Updated SNP Tree and Big Y

morrisondna
12-04-2015, 11:10 AM
I see some SNPs from FTDNA's recently updated tree have been included in my Big Y Known SNPs listing. However, these newly-listed SNPs are not yet being reported in the Non-Matching Known SNPs section. I suppose this is a work in progress. Also, the FTNDA Haplotree report does not yet report as positive all of the SNPs reported as positive in the Big Y report. Until the updating process is complete, these results reports will need to be cross-checked against each other.

MacUalraig
12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
I see some SNPs from FTDNA's recently updated tree have been included in my Big Y Known SNPs listing. However, these newly-listed SNPs are not yet being reported in the Non-Matching Known SNPs section. I suppose this is a work in progress. Also, the FTNDA Haplotree report does not yet report as positive all of the SNPs reported as positive in the Big Y report. Until the updating process is complete, these results reports will need to be cross-checked against each other.

Yes its only a small step and logically they should move out of the novel variants list altogether, but at least it may help a few more people figure out the match list. Not sure how one would define an appropriate cutoff for the matches... just somewhere below where it is now.

morrisondna
12-07-2015, 03:38 AM
Yes its only a small step and logically they should move out of the novel variants list altogether, but at least it may help a few more people figure out the match list. Not sure how one would define an appropriate cutoff for the matches... just somewhere below where it is now.

The non-matching SNPs that are of most concern to any Big Y tester probably would be those immediately upstream or downstream of his terminal SNP/s. If a match does not share the tester's terminal SNP, then the most-upstream non-matching SNP/s separating the two results would be of primary interest. If a match does share the tester's terminal SNP, then the most-upstream SNP/s separating the two results would still be of primary interest. In the first case, the SNP/s separating the two would be ones the tester is positive for and the match is negative for. In the second case, it would be the other way around.

How to set the cutoff level for reporting matches would be difficult. For people with a low-level terminal SNP, it would be good to see all downstream matches and the closest upstream matches. If at some point, matches from SNP Packs and single-SNP tests could be included as well, it would be even better.