PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Kuwaiti/Ajam/Ayam Uniparental Marker Data

jesus
12-15-2015, 12:46 AM
From FTDNA and 23andme, some might be Qatari or from the UAE (it wouldn't create a huge difference since Iranians from Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and the UAE basically came from the same regions). I only included people with exclusively Iranian/Ajam surnames.
From wiki:

In the Persian Gulf region today, people usually refer to Persian as Ajami as they refer to Persian carpet (Ajami carpet or sajjad al Ajami), Persian cat (Ajami cat), and Persian emperors (Ajami kings).[8] The Persian community in Bahrain calls itself Ajami.

'Ajam was used by the Ottomans to refer to the Safavids[9]
The Kurdish historian, Sharaf-al-Din Bitlisi, uses the term Ajam( عجم) in his book Sharafnama (1597 CE) to refer to the Shia Persians.[10]
In the Eastern Anatolia Region, Azerbaijanis are sometimes referred to as acem (which is the Turkish translation of Ajam).[11]
Modern Sunni Kurds of Iran use this term to denote Persians, Azeris and Southern Kurds.[12]
It is also the old name of Iran used mostly by Arabs and Turks (keshvar-e Ajam) as a synonym to Persia, also a medieval name for the Persian Gulf (Bahr-e Ajam), or to refer to the follower of Shia religion.[15]
In Oriental music there is a maqam (musical mode) called Ajam, meaning "the Persian mode", corresponding to the major scale in European music.[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajam

This list is a bit different from the one I posted yesterday, because I added few extra samples.

Y-DNA

x1 R2a
x1 L1
x1 L2
x5 L3 (All belong to the same family)
x1 J2
x1 C5
x2 R1a1a1b2a2*
x2 R1a1a*
x1 R1a ( L342+ L657-)
x3 G1a (2 belong to the same family)
x12 T1 (All belong to the same family)
x1 J1-P56
x1 E1b1b1c1
x1 Q1a*

mtDNA

x1 HV
x1 HV1
x1 HV2
x1 H1
x1 H14
x1 N1b
x2 N3
x1 L2a1c
x1 M1a1
x1 J1b2
x1 J1c
x1 J1d1
x2 R0a (possibly related)
x1 U7a4
x2 U8b1a1 (related)
x1 U8b
x1 K1a

Afshar
12-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Is the q1a* confirmed with snp testing, or old 23andme nomenclature?

jesus
12-15-2015, 09:59 PM
Is the q1a* confirmed with snp testing, or old 23andme nomenclature?

He's from 23andme. His paternal line is from Larestan region as far as I remember. Larestan is basically the southern tip of Fars province, it has few Qashqai towns.

He doesn't score any east asian or native american on 23andme's AC.

Afshar
12-16-2015, 06:50 AM
He's from 23andme. His paternal line is from Larestan region as far as I remember. Larestan is basically the southern tip of Fars province, it has few Qashqai towns.

He doesn't score any east asian or native american on 23andme's AC.
He should definitely consider testing at FTDNA, there is a big possibility he will belong to the arabic cluster of m25, which seems more ajam than arab to me. It seems to be concentrated around the persian gulf (bahrain, qatar) and they have a recent ancestor within 1500years or so. Does he claim descend from any Shiite scholar?

Caspian
12-16-2015, 04:11 PM
He should definitely consider testing at FTDNA, there is a big possibility he will belong to the arabic cluster of m25, which seems more ajam than arab to me. It seems to be concentrated around the persian gulf (bahrain, qatar) and they have a recent ancestor within 1500years or so. Does he claim descend from any Shiite scholar?

Majority of Larestani Persians are Sunni/Shafi'i afaik.

pegasus
12-18-2015, 04:27 AM
From what a Larestani Iranian told me he said most Iranians in the Gulf come from Larestan, Khuzestan and Hormozogan. Khuzestan is culturally similar to Kuwait because of the Shia Arabs living there.

@ Jesus are there any admixture results for people from Larestan or Khuzestan?? I have only seen Iranian Baloch.

vettor
12-18-2015, 05:27 AM
which is the Elamite region on the map?

Afshar
12-24-2015, 06:31 PM
I thought that it was mostly one way traffic, would be interesting to see results from khuzestani arab and persian

Arbogan
12-25-2015, 10:26 PM
They look mostly like south Iranians.

paulgill
12-26-2015, 01:24 AM
They look mostly like south Iranians.

And what do the south Iranians look like?

jesus
12-26-2015, 01:56 AM
I thought that it was mostly one way traffic, would be interesting to see results from khuzestani arab and persian

T1, G1a, and L3(L1c) samples are from Khuzestani Persians.

paulgill
12-26-2015, 02:01 AM
T1, G1a, and L3(L1c) samples are from Khuzestani Persians.

None of these haplogroups are Arabian to my understanding, L3 in my opinion are the real Elamites and later Iranic tribes, Dehae etc..

ancestryfan1994
12-26-2015, 02:28 PM
I share with a lot of ajam from Kuwait and other gulf states, they make up the majority of my DNA relatives. Not much difference from the mainland iranians, though some of them have more of an African presence within their admixture and haplogroups.

jesus
01-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Uniparental Marker data from Qatar. The Q2 (Persian-south asian) is mostly Qatari Ajam/Persian with some Markani and possibly Sindhi Baloch. Ignore the " south asian/Arabian/European/African " classifications. Most of the R1 is probably R1a1a. 0% J1 in the Persian-south asian sample is pretty interesting. Most of them came from the southern parts of Iran. Q1 is Qatari Bedouin and Q3 is Afro Qatari.

http://i.imgur.com/uDSWWC0.png

http://i.imgur.com/A0ilUnz.png

http://genome.cshlp.org/content/early/2016/01/11/gr.191478.115.full.pdf

surbakhunWeesste
01-28-2016, 03:52 AM
And what do the south Iranians look like?

Like username Jesus.

rockman
01-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Interesting. I have relatives found on FTDNA, 2 of which are from Kuwait. 1 is confirmed to have Iranian descent but the other is an Al Zanki, not sure if that is persian. Also found an "Ajam" who I believe is Iraqi.

ancestryfan1994
05-31-2017, 08:49 PM
Interesting. I have relatives found on FTDNA, 2 of which are from Kuwait. 1 is confirmed to have Iranian descent but the other is an Al Zanki, not sure if that is persian. Also found an "Ajam" who I believe is Iraqi.

A lot of the gulf people have some degree of Iranian ancestry regardless of their names. I match a bunch of them, many with arabic names, but when i look at their family tree theres always at least one Iranian there.

Edessa
08-08-2018, 06:00 PM
Hi, I am mixed half Central European (maternal line) and half West Asian (paternal line - which I don't know much about, hence the reason of my interest). My closest autosomal matches for the paternal side are mostly Ajam Persians. All seem to be from Kuwait.

My y-DNA haplogroup is I2c-L596, quite rare. It seems spread throughout Caucasus region and Crete, peaking in Armenians and Georgians. My theory is that it might have come to Persia during Shah Abbas rule with many Armenians and Georgians driven to Persia.

I am not familiar with any Ajam Persian with this y-DNA. None of my autosomal matches have it. Do you guys have any clue/opinion about it?

Also, I am not sure if I can conclude that my father was Ajam Persian from Kuwait based on my autosomal matches being from there. I am aware that Ajam are spread across the Gulf - can it be that no one tests in Bahrain, Qatar or UAE and hence why only Kuwaitis come up? All my closest matches are anyway at best 3rd or 4th cousins...

I'll be grateful for any insight here.

Many thanks!