PDA

View Full Version : Help With Y-DNA Results

DillonResearcher
12-19-2015, 03:40 PM
I've recently received my 111 marker results from FTDNA (a couple of days early which was nice) but only have matches at the 12 marker level on the FTDNA database and none of these match my surname (Dillon). My paper research and family lore shows my direct paternal line (and almost all of my paternal side) to come from Ireland going back to a Patrick Dillon born about 1795.

I have had some help on the FTDNA forum (http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?p=420456&posted=1#post420456) and from the Dillon project administrator but was wondering if any members here might be able to help?

The member on the FTDNA forum that helped has suggested that the few matches which I do have at the 12 marker level on the FTDNA database are not relevant but he did notice some matches on Y-Search. However, the Y-Search matches are at a distance of 19 out of 95 markers at best (my Y-Search ID is NF8RC in case anyone wants to see my results). He also reckons that I have significantly more unusual marker counts than normal:
DYS385a-b = 11-16
DYS460 = 10
DYS389-2 = 30
DYS447 = 23
DYS438 = 13

Although I've done paper based family history research for about 2 years now I'm completely new to DNA and so would really appreciate any help.

MacUalraig
12-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Just to say that detailed SNP testing is the best approach IMHO. The SNP test mentioned to you is the first half of what you really need to do, after that there would logically follow another more detailed one in your major group. So yes the first one may eliminate some false matches but not necessarily all of them.

DillonResearcher
12-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Okay, thanks for the advice. As well as the SNP testing I'm also going to try and find a distant cousin to test to see what his results look like.

Saetro
12-22-2015, 02:12 AM
Okay, thanks for the advice. As well as the SNP testing I'm also going to try and find a distant cousin to test to see what his results look like.

This is more usual for autosomal.
What would you find by testing a cousin for YDNA?
1) You match your cousin - your paper genealogy is confirmed
2) You don't match your cousin - there is an NPE somewhere
If this is what you are after, fine.
Otherwise, the backbone test will be a better guide.

And I repeat the advice of MMaddi in that other forum.
Please adjust your settings in the Dillon and Roper projects so that others can see your values.
While comparing with those projects will help you, there are quite a few other people with M269 who are not quite sure what their surname really was, so they feel uncomfortable asking to join. Instead they skim projects to see where they might fit in.
Although they are not certain themselves, they could have a useful piece of your puzzle.

Good luck