PDA

View Full Version : my dna journey so far

crossover
12-21-2015, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but i put it here since most of the dna testing i've bought was through ancestrydna. Since i'm not a good writer, this post will have bullet point lists with sentences and paragraphs mixed in. For starters, i'll state that my dad is 'White' and that most of his great grandparents were either immigrants from Europe or children of immigrants from Europe. My mom's parents are immigrants from Mexico, and are mixed like the majority of Mexico's population. Because of this i'm unsure of what 'racial/ethnic identity' should I call myself as sometimes. Not everyone met viewed me as 'white'. In fact, when I was younger I was sometimes asked on what I was (which neither of my siblings were asked that I know of). Later on, I started to get into geneaology, and mainly worked on my mom's tree since my dad was working on his and pretty much hit brick walls in his tree, while my mom was too busy to continue hers, so I took over the task. Eventually, I had hit brick walls on hers as well, but i managed to trace hers further than my dad did on his tree. That's when i started to get interested in genetic geneaology. I tested my mom first, since the dna test came really late, and i didn't want to wait to test one of her parents the next time we visit them since we only visit them around once a month. meanwhile, my dad's dad must have ordered a dna test around this time or before independently. he got more brittish on ancestrydna than i expected, but i suspect some of it is noise. I'm gonna talk mostly about my mom's side since i've found out more about her's than my dad's side.

heritages that i was told about on mom's side

spanish
amerindian/mexican native
her paternal grandma(named lupe) supposedly had a great grandma who came from france
my mom's brother (my uncle) claims that he was told by my grandpa's great uncle Benjamin(benjamin and my grandpa's paternal grandpa martiniano were full brothers) that some of his ancestors from spain were of moorish and/or jewish descent

what's been proven false

paper trail alone proved that my great grandma lupe had no great grandparent from france
due to my mom and other tested relatives getting only 1% north african, i'm guessing the 'moorish' part is false

notes

Spanish and native mexican are undoubtedly proven in results
before dna testing, i was thinking the jewish/moorish claims maybe have been false due to her family not practicing any traditions that distinctly come from those cultures, but the dna results of her and her dad's seem to confirm the jewish part. her middle east, caucasus, and european percentages combined are 10% while her dad's is 18%. he dad has several azkenazi matches on gedmatch, and triangulates with many of them. Since her dad's uncle got smaller percentages than both my mom and grandpa, it either came mostly from lupe's side or perhaps miguel didn't inherit that dna unlike my grandpa's dad. Also my grandpa's parents are cousins so his mom having that dna wouldn't exactly contradict what my uncle claimed that Benjamin told him.
she, her sister, her dad, and her dad's uncle all test positive for SSA. while her dad got the smallest SSA %, i've found an ancestor on lupe's side who was labeled as 'mulatto'. haven't found any more branches where the SSA could come from.

I will add more later on by either editing this post or in another post.

C J Wyatt III
12-21-2015, 02:33 AM
Crossover, have you determined mtDNA haplogroups yet for any of your relatives?

I think it this point, knowledge of mtDNA haplogroups would be helpful.

crossover
12-21-2015, 03:50 AM
Crossover, have you determined mtDNA haplogroups yet for any of your relatives?

I think it this point, knowledge of mtDNA haplogroups would be helpful.

no i haven't got mtdna testing, but considering mtdna only covers one line, it won't help much. the furthest i've traced my direct maternal line is to a dolores acuna. don't knw when she was born, but i assume she was not married to her daughter refugio's bio-father. the furthest i got on my grandpa matrillinela line was a feliciana lopez, presumably born in the 1690's. i guess she was ethnically spanish. the ssa wasn't through feliciana, it was from an ancestor who's neither on the direct patrillineal or matrillineal line. the known partial ssa ancestor of his was cristobal valenzuela. i have yet to find a descdent who would likely carry cristobal's y-dna or mt-dna.

since mtdna's more expensive, i'll probably wait until i get a job before getting those.

C J Wyatt III
12-21-2015, 04:02 AM
since mtdna's more expensive, i'll probably wait until i get a job before getting those.

Thanks Crossover, I understand that part about the money. I wouldn't recommend mtDNA testing until there was a need. However when you can afford it, I think it will unlock some answers for you.

Good luck.

Jack