PDA

View Full Version : Dissection of the DF27 paternal lineage

razyn
12-22-2015, 04:06 AM
This link was posted today by Sergio Haedo in the "My Groups" or "Activity Feed" for the R1b-DF27 and Subclades project at FTDNA. At the link he posted (for the Abstract) one may download the paper by P. Villaescusa et al, which has a date of December 2015 (although apparently it's been online, somewhere, since September). If I'm just late to this party, forgive me; it looks like a new study, to me. Also, perhaps the first juried paper of which DF27 is the declared topic.

Abstract:

The genetic evidence provided by the analysis of the Y chromosome is a valuable tool for the study of the evolution of paternal lineages. The dissection of S116, the major M269 subhaplogroup in Western and South-Western Europe uncovered an outstanding frequency of DF27 sublineage in the Basque region. In this study, a dissection of DF27 haplogroup was performed to the highest resolution to date in 340 individuals from the Basque Country. Our results describe frequency distribution patterns for some DF27 sublineages for the first time, and reveal a possible substructure of its paragroups.

Of course I disagree with its main premise, and the conclusions it reached; but it was a good trick actually to test 340 Basques in their native habitat, and to look for DF27 (and a few of its longer-known subclades) in those samples. Thumbs up, from me anyway:

http://www.fsigeneticssup.com/article/S1875-1768%2815%2930174-8/fulltext

And now I'll get back to dissection of the DF27 paternal lineage -- which is about all I do anymore, besides playing music, and aging like a fine cheese.

ArmandoR1b
12-22-2015, 06:06 PM
This had been discussed back in September http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?4723-Dissection-of-the-Y-SNP-S116-in-Atlantic-Europe-and-Iberia-Valverde-et-al-2015&p=111665&viewfull=1#post111665

John Marsh
12-24-2015, 02:18 AM
This link was posted today by Sergio Haedo in the "My Groups" or "Activity Feed" for the R1b-DF27 and Subclades project at FTDNA. At the link he posted (for the Abstract) one may download the paper by P. Villaescusa et al, which has a date of December 2015 (although apparently it's been online, somewhere, since September). If I'm just late to this party, forgive me; it looks like a new study, to me. Also, perhaps the first juried paper of which DF27 is the declared topic.

Of course I disagree with its main premise, and the conclusions it reached; but it was a good trick actually to test 340 Basques in their native habitat, and to look for DF27 (and a few of its longer-known subclades) in those samples. Thumbs up, from me anyway:

http://www.fsigeneticssup.com/article/S1875-1768%2815%2930174-8/fulltext

And now I'll get back to dissection of the DF27 paternal lineage -- which is about all I do anymore, besides playing music, and aging like a fine cheese.

Razyn,

An extremely important study in my view! Well, I am L617+, so have my own personal definition of "extremely important". But for L617, this study suggests that L617+ may occur in about 1 per hundred current male occupants of the Basque area, but in about 1 per 60 of Basques with suspected deep ancestry in the area. The study was smallish, but if the percentages were consistent for the full 2 million Basque population, that might represent the order of 10,000 L617+ in the Basque region today. This seems to me would be consistent with the possibility that L617+ first occurred in or near the Basque area, which I have been suspecting for a few years. Just need a bit more ancient DNA from the area.

In the study, it seems they did not include the important Z2552 upstream marker to L617, or DF81, another key marker below Z2552 with suspected Basque roots. They found about 30% were DF27*, which might include a lot of lineage between DF27, Z2552, and L617, so the lineage to L617 might be much more highly represented in Basque regions than just L617 itself.

John.