PDA

View Full Version : Cheddar Man

Eburgess
12-22-2015, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know if there are plans to sequence Cheddar Man's yDNA? The remains are from mesolithic Somerset, England. AFAIK, only mitochondrial testing was done with a result of haplogroup U.

yxc
12-22-2015, 11:55 PM
another cave skeleton potentially distant related to the Cheddar is

http://www.aftenbladet.no/nyheter/lokalt/Randaberg/Vistegutten-kan-ha-vart-jente-3791214.html

Jean M
12-23-2015, 12:41 AM
Does anyone know if there are plans to sequence Cheddar Man's yDNA? The remains are from mesolithic Somerset, England. AFAIK, only mitochondrial testing was done with a result of haplogroup U.

Chris Stringer of the Natural History Museum said last year that there were plans to re-sequence his DNA, due to fears of contamination in the first test, which was done years ago, when precautions against contamination were barely considered. These days it is possible to get far more DNA from ancient remains, through Next Generation Sequencing methods, so we can hope that a new test would reveal Y-DNA and indeed genome-wide DNA, as well as a more reliable and fuller result on the mtDNA (which came out as U5 last time).

J Man
12-23-2015, 01:19 AM
If his Y-DNA is ever tested he will likely be either I2a or C.

Eburgess
12-23-2015, 01:31 AM
Interesting, but from Norway. Looks like they have not got the test results yet for Vistegutten. Both skeletons discovered only a few years apart, 1907 and 1903. I wish they would resample cheddar man, the technology today could potentially document the whole genome.

Eburgess
12-23-2015, 02:30 AM
Jean M, Thank you for the reply, I read your book, Blood of the Celts and really enjoyed it. :)