PDA

View Full Version : H1b2

psaglav
12-24-2015, 02:37 PM
My mtDNA is H1b2 and unfortunately, I don't know a lot about my maternal grandmother's family -she grew up estranged from an early age after losing her father. I'm hoping to find some relevant information for her for which I'm sure she'd be thrilled. Are any of you of this hg? Do you know more about it? All my mtdna matches are from Northern Europe (mainly Finland, Russia, Sweden, Poland, Ukraine) so far but that could be very deep ancestry of course.

Thanks in advance!

Jenny
12-25-2015, 11:13 AM
Have you checked at mitosearch.org?

psaglav
12-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Have you checked at mitosearch.org?

I had, but it was a long time ago. Maybe I'd have new matches by now. The closest matches are "4th cousins" so that's pretty distant still, at least within the 500 years or so AFAIK.

paulgill
12-25-2015, 12:29 PM
I had, but it was a long time ago. Maybe I'd have new matches by now. The closest matches are "4th cousins" so that's pretty distant still, at least within the 500 years or so AFAIK.

mtDNA changes very slowly so it is not always of much use in finding close relatives, but it can be used to confirm the match found through aDNA.

psaglav
12-25-2015, 01:00 PM
mtDNA changes very slowly so it is not always of much use in finding close relatives, but it can be used to confirm the match found through aDNA.

so, for a match on my mother's side to be a close enough match, we should both match on aDNA and mtDNA?

paulgill
12-25-2015, 01:31 PM
so, for a match on my mother's side to be a close enough match, we should both match on aDNA and mtDNA? side

Not really, aDNA alone be enough, but if you are looking for a direct maternal line then mtDNA also have to be the same. Your maternal uncle will also have the same mtDNA as you, but he can't pass it down to his children, they will get it from their mother only.