PDA

View Full Version : Only genetically pure bison are found in Utah

Chad Rohlfsen
12-24-2015, 09:48 PM
http://upr.org/post/genetically-pure-bison-found-utah

Grossvater
12-28-2015, 06:51 AM
Interesting. Recently I was privileged to attend the ritual killing of a bison by elders of the Northern Arapaho Tribe at Ethete, Wyoming. The animal I saw was culled from a herd at Yellowstone I believe. One of the tribal elders told us that the stock up there is still pure. I couldn't see any obvious cattle traits in the critter I saw that day. Traditional Arapahos have a great deal of respect for the animal as every bit of it supplied something the tribe needed. One tribal elder who is an old friend of mine described the bison as the "Walmart of the Plains."

On the day of the killing, a drum group was present and played an honor song for the animal and prayers of thanksgiving were made to the Creator. Those assembled were asked to be quiet and respectful of the animal. Then a man with a gun came up beside him and dropped him with one shot behind the ear. After making sure he was all the way dead, a female tribal member made the first cut as it was traditionally the job of the women to cut up the animal. After the formalities had been followed the men jumped in and helped her.

Mine was one of only a handful of European faces in the crowd gathered that day to witness this ancient cultural ritual underscoring just how important this animal was to Native American tribes on the Northern American plains. Some years ago, I was also present to witness the erecting of the first Arapaho teepee made from buffalo hide in one hundred fifty years copied from an original preserved in the Smithsonian Institution. You should have seen the pride and the joy of those present as this ancient custom was revived.

Thanks, Chad for posting this. I thought I'd underscore just how important this animal the Arapaho call "hii3einon" still is out here in Indian Country.

Generalissimo
01-05-2016, 07:00 AM
Yeah, the Bison in Yellowstone are still pure. The Utah herd actually comes from Yellowstone.

Censored
05-26-2018, 06:23 AM
Title does not reflect what the article says. It says the Utah herd are the only one that is both pure and free of disease.

Paul333
05-29-2018, 03:50 PM
Interesting. Recently I was privileged to attend the ritual killing of a bison by elders of the Northern Arapaho Tribe at Ethete, Wyoming. The animal I saw was culled from a herd at Yellowstone I believe. One of the tribal elders told us that the stock up there is still pure. I couldn't see any obvious cattle traits in the critter I saw that day. Traditional Arapahos have a great deal of respect for the animal as every bit of it supplied something the tribe needed. One tribal elder who is an old friend of mine described the bison as the "Walmart of the Plains."

On the day of the killing, a drum group was present and played an honor song for the animal and prayers of thanksgiving were made to the Creator. Those assembled were asked to be quiet and respectful of the animal. Then a man with a gun came up beside him and dropped him with one shot behind the ear. After making sure he was all the way dead, a female tribal member made the first cut as it was traditionally the job of the women to cut up the animal. After the formalities had been followed the men jumped in and helped her.

Mine was one of only a handful of European faces in the crowd gathered that day to witness this ancient cultural ritual underscoring just how important this animal was to Native American tribes on the Northern American plains. Some years ago, I was also present to witness the erecting of the first Arapaho teepee made from buffalo hide in one hundred fifty years copied from an original preserved in the Smithsonian Institution. You should have seen the pride and the joy of those present as this ancient custom was revived.

Thanks, Chad for posting this. I thought I'd underscore just how important this animal the Arapaho call "hii3einon" still is out here in Indian Country.

Wonder what the Bison thought of being so privilaged,

Grossvater
07-31-2018, 12:08 AM
Wonder what the Bison thought of being so privilaged,

I suppose after waking up dead, he was rather indignant.

Paul333
07-31-2018, 01:54 PM
In keeping with the spirit I suppose, he is probably still roaming the great plains with an almighty headache.