PDA

View Full Version : Ordered the Ancestry DNA Test

rms2
01-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Not that this is earth shattering news, but I ordered the Ancestry DNA test on Wednesday evening, 06 January. Naturally the initial spit kit has not arrived yet.

I wasn't going to order yet another dna test for myself, but the Ancestry test was on sale for twenty dollars off the usual price. That was hard to resist.

I'm guessing there are a lot of people in Ancestry's database who have never tested with FTDNA, so this may give me a shot at some matches I might otherwise never know about.

How has your experience with Ancestry DNA been? Good, I hope.

botoole60611
01-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Ancestry has been amazing for me.

Two years ago I found a first cousin, once removed, and discovered that my bio-dad's mother had children by three men, not simply the two she had married. 80 year old family secrets, blah, blah, blah. And I love the new family members in the branch of the tree I discovered. About 4 months ago, trying to figure how two of my closest Ancestry matches related to me, I found that my (same) grandmother was the product of my great grandmother and a neighbor. More tree pruning.

I have an (adopted) first cousin who had been searching for his birth family for years. He was on 23andMe and also FTDNA. This past year he found a first cousin on Ancestry, and has reunited with his birth family.

Now results may vary, but Ancestry is at the top of my charts these days. And for me a lot of it is the ability to check trees and cross check things. The original Ancestry DNA web pages were rough, but Ancestry has gone great lengths and seems to continue to improve.

Torc Seanathair
01-08-2016, 06:24 PM
I originally tested with AncestryDNA, then transferred their raw data to Family Finder, then paid the small fee for the FF unlock. On Ancestry, I have 170 pages of matches with about 50 matches per page. I have 141 matches with hints, where it automatically prompted me to the likely common ancestor on my Ancestry tree. I have 370 Ancestry matches that are 4th cousins, or closer. I used AncestryDNA (+ gedmatch) to locate the birth parents of a second cousin of my wife's that was adopted, and also to identify the birth mother of my own 3rd cousin once removed, who was adopted.

On Family Finder, I have only 167 pages of matches with 10 matches per page. It seems to be much more difficult to determine the common ancestor on my FF matches. There are several matches that are only on FF, and not even on gedmatch. There are some technical nuances on FF that I like, but many people that match me have entered no family tree information.

Currently, I would say AncestryDNA is dominating the autosomal market.

rms2
01-08-2016, 07:42 PM
That is one thing I have noticed about Family Finder: too many people with no listed pedigree. I had some initial success finding relatives, but with many of my matches we just cannot figure out how we are related. Of course, many never respond to emails.

Stephen1986
01-08-2016, 07:49 PM
It's been OK, but a lot of people don't reply, or seem to have only done the test for the ethnicity results. You also have to be careful not to send too many messages in one day (50 seems to be the maximum) and they have to be quite different from each other or else they get caught in the spam filter. I was able to get mine released and months of messages were sent in days - I did actually get quite a few replies back.

The main success I've had is genetically matching a descendent of an ancestor who had an illegitimate child with my ancestor before marrying another woman and having a family with her, who my match descends from. I've also matched a relative whose first cousin matches my brother and myself on 23andMe.

rms2
01-09-2016, 12:55 AM
I'm interested in the ethnicity results, of course, especially since Ancestry apparently breaks loose the Irish dna, and I am interested in how much of that I am showing, but that is not my primary interest. I am more interested in genealogically informative matches, especially if I could catch someone on my y-dna line who has not yet had his y-dna tested.

Torc Seanathair
01-10-2016, 11:17 PM
This is my AncestryDNA ethnicity breakdown - 13% Irish - which doesn't necessarily agree with gedmatch calculators, but I wouldn't dispute 13%.
I had no clue on the 24% Scandinavian - there is no paper trail from recent centuries to back that up.

Europe 100%

Great Britain 29%
Europe West 25%
Scandinavia 24%
Ireland 13%

Trace Regions 9%

Italy/Greece 6%
Europe East 2%
European Jewish < 1%

estevard
01-11-2016, 04:26 AM
Ancestry.com does bring out the Irish.

According to the paper records, and pretending there was a border around Cornwall, the breakdown by nationality of my 16 great-great grandparents is:

Scottish 37.5%
English 25.0%
Latvian 25.0%
Cornish 12.5%

Ancestry.com ethnic estimate:

FTDNA estimate (based on uploaded Ancestry.com raw data):

As other posters have noted, the advantage Ancestry.com has is the number of documented genealogical trees than can be checked against. Through them, I have been able to use a few second-to-fourth cousin DNA matches to support what the records show (no NPEs found so far but what do you expect from Presbyterian-Methodist-Lutherans :angel:).

rms2
01-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Got my kit in the mail today. I just finished activating the kit online, collecting the sample, and sealing the tube in the mailing box. Now I have to go mail it off.

rms2
01-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Got my kit in the mail today. I just finished activating the kit online, collecting the sample, and sealing the tube in the mailing box. Now I have to go mail it off.

Well, I mailed the completed kit off. I imagine it won't get off to Ancestry until tomorrow, since I posted it after 15:00 today. Anyhow, it's on its way.

rms2
01-13-2016, 01:51 AM
Does Ancestry make the raw autosomal data available for download?

firemonkey
01-13-2016, 03:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhjTGY3LYVc

rms2
01-15-2016, 11:58 PM
Got the email: Ancestry has received my sample kit. Now the real waiting begins.

rms2
01-16-2016, 02:08 AM
Got the email: Ancestry has received my sample kit. Now the real waiting begins.

Guess I am a dna testing addict. I have to have some kind of dna test I am waiting on. It started in April of 2006. God help me!

leonardo
01-16-2016, 02:22 AM
Guess I am a dna testing addict. I have to have some kind of dna test I am waiting on. It started in April of 2006. God help me!

My first test was in 2006 as well. 10 years after,my hope is more join us.:)

rms2
02-05-2016, 01:07 AM
How long does it take for your Ancestry dna testing progress bar to move from "ARRIVED" to "LAB PROCESSING"?

My sample arrived at Ancestry on 15 January, but the progress bar seems to be stuck on "ARRIVED". It has not progressed to "LAB PROCESSING" even after over two weeks.

rod
02-05-2016, 02:00 AM
How long does it take for your Ancestry dna testing progress bar to move from "ARRIVED" to "LAB PROCESSING"?

My sample arrived at Ancestry on 15 January, but the progress bar seems to be stuck on "ARRIVED". It has not progressed to "LAB PROCESSING" even after over two weeks.

In the past none of my 12 family member tests have taken over 4 weeks from the date received. They are processing a huge number of tests - each of my family members has received more new matches in 2016 than my total number of ftDNA Family Finder matches.

rms2
02-05-2016, 12:19 PM
In the past none of my 12 family member tests have taken over 4 weeks from the date received. They are processing a huge number of tests - each of my family members has received more new matches in 2016 than my total number of ftDNA Family Finder matches.

Are you talking about the total time to receive the results or just the time from "ARRIVED" to "LAB PROCESSING" on the progress bar in the upper right of the screen?

rod
02-05-2016, 10:39 PM
Are you talking about the total time to receive the results or just the time from "ARRIVED" to "LAB PROCESSING" on the progress bar in the upper right of the screen?

Time from arrived to results delivery. I'm waiting for one with order arrived Jan. 20.
They're processing a lot of tests - I got 52 new matches today.

rms2
02-06-2016, 12:55 AM
Time from arrived to results delivery. I'm waiting for one with order arrived Jan. 20.
They're processing a lot of tests - I got 52 new matches today.

Thanks! Four weeks is damned good!

dp
02-06-2016, 05:00 PM
My first test was in 2006 as well. 10 years after,my hope is more join us.:)

I think I started in 2010. I had a bad wreck in 2009 so I guess I was contemplating my mortality. Can't believe it was $200 for a Y-DNA 12 STR test & a mtDNA HVS test (NatGeno sure increased what they test for that price).
dp :-)

rms2
02-06-2016, 07:40 PM
I think I started in 2010. I had a bad wreck in 2009 so I guess I was contemplating my mortality. Can't believe it was $200 for a Y-DNA 12 STR test & a mtDNA HVS test (NatGeno sure increased what they test for that price).

I think I paid $189 for my initial 37-marker y-dna test from FTDNA. I had just read an article by Henry Louis Gates about how he had used y-dna testing in his own genealogical quest. Before that I did not even know dna testing was available to peasants like me. Dr. Gates recommended FTDNA, so that's the company I went with.

According to my myFTDNA pages, I ordered that first test on 26 March 2006. It's coming up on ten years! Whoa!

leonardo
02-06-2016, 08:00 PM

My father had died a few months earlier, in 2005. I was always interested in learning something about my unknown paternal grandfather. I saw in National Geographic an article about the Genographic Project. I believe the 12 marker test might have been free, if the participant shared his information with the project. FTDNA administered the test for the Project. Anyway, in the name of science, I submitted and got my results, R1a. This intrigued me even more, even though I had no idea what genetic dna testing was about. So began a journey of multiple tests and picked up a new interest.

rms2
02-10-2016, 12:03 AM
Earlier today I emailed Ancestry about the apparent delay in my progress bar going from "ARRIVED" to "LAB PROCESSING". When I got home I found an email from them saying this, in part:

We’re busy running your DNA through the lab and expect to have your results ready in 3 to 5 weeks from this stage in the process. We’ll send you an email when your results are ready.

Now my progress bar has moved to "LAB PROCESSING".

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as my old dad has always said.

rms2
02-19-2016, 12:31 AM
My Ancestry DNA results are in, just over one month after my kit was received by Ancestry. Not bad.

They seem more in keeping with my actual pedigree than my current myOrigins Family Finder map from FTDNA.

7847 7848

rms2
02-19-2016, 01:27 AM
This is a little better shot, since you won't have to click on two separate pics.

rms2
02-20-2016, 12:42 AM
I'm discovering now that the fact that my regular Ancestry genealogy account is expired is proving a real impediment to making full use of my Ancestry DNA results. When I click on the likely "new ancestors" my dna results are supposed to have netted me, I get an ad for Ancestry membership rather than access to the information.

leonardo
02-20-2016, 12:50 AM
I'm discovering now that the fact that my regular Ancestry genealogy account is expired is proving a real impediment to making full use of my Ancestry DNA results. When I click on the likely "new ancestors" my dna results are supposed to have netted me, I get an ad for Ancestry membership rather than access to the information.
I remember reading about this as a negative before I took my test. I agree with one of your earlier posts: the ethnic results are the most accurate for me, and I have tested with FTDNA and 23andMe as well. I have also found the family trees helpful. To this extent, they have me at their mercy, and I will be renewing my subscription when it is ready to expire.

rms2
02-20-2016, 01:00 AM
I remember reading about this as a negative before I took my test. I agree with one of your earlier posts: the ethnic results are the most accurate for me, and I have tested with FTDNA and 23andMe as well. I have also found the family trees helpful. To this extent, they have me at their mercy, and I will be renewing my subscription when it is ready to expire.

I will probably renew my expired subscription, as well. With the addition of the dna test results tool, it appears it will be worth it to me now.

rms2
02-20-2016, 01:49 PM
I will probably renew my expired subscription, as well. With the addition of the dna test results tool, it appears it will be worth it to me now.

Even without a current Ancestry genealogy membership, I have already found a couple of confirmed relatives among my Ancestry DNA matches, including a 3rd cousin on my surname line: we share second great grandparents. I already had y-dna confirmation of my descent from the second great grandfather in that pair. Cool to pick up another relative on that line.

I am just learning to navigate the Ancestry DNA site. I'm sure it is way easier with a current Ancestry membership, but it would be nice if people at least used their surnames in their usernames. Cute nicknames and mere sets of initials make it hard to know whether messaging someone is worth the effort.

leonardo
02-20-2016, 03:26 PM
I am just learning to navigate the Ancestry DNA site. I'm sure it is way easier with a current Ancestry membership, but it would be nice if people at least used their surnames in their usernames. Cute nicknames and mere sets of initials make it hard to know whether messaging someone is worth the effort.

I hear you, but I know that I have to be careful not to generalize. For example, I am searching, in particular, for one line of my ancestry - that of my unknown paternal grandfather. When my matches are listed, I tend to look at the user name, in particular at the person's surname -if it is listed as so. Often, I am surprised to find that those who surnames are of other origins actually are related to me through my paternal grandfather's line and I gain insight into that line. This shouldn't surprise when it comes to matches with Americans, as so many of us are mixed, but it still does. I just had a match with a person who has what appears to be a Scottish surname, but it turns out I am related to him through his maternal line and my paternal grandfather's line. A pleasant surprise indeed.

rms2
02-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Thus far I have found three confirmed relatives at Ancestry DNA, and all of us share descent from my y-dna line second great grandparents. As I mentioned, I also have a y-dna match who shares those ancestors with me (therefore our y-dna mrca is my second great grandfather). That y-dna match has not tested with Ancestry, just with FTDNA and only for y-dna.

Here are the photos of those second great grandparents.

7905 7906

MacUalraig
02-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Even without a current Ancestry genealogy membership, I have already found a couple of confirmed relatives among my Ancestry DNA matches, including a 3rd cousin on my surname line: we share second great grandparents. I already had y-dna confirmation of my descent from the second great grandfather in that pair. Cool to pick up another relative on that line.

Quite agree, some people take privacy a bit far. My Ancestry id is my real name.

dp
02-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Quite agree, some people take privacy a bit far. My Ancestry id is my real name.
kudos.
A second cousin of my grandmother has been tested there, whose account I have access too. I have a maternal aunt at 23andme, and my mother at FamilyTreeDNA. According to Advanced Matches someone with my grandmother's maiden name shows up as a 1st cousin to my mom, that apparently hasn't completed their transfer, so he (I guess since the kit is in a surname project of that name) is not in our FamilyFinder lists, so I can't contact him. If the kit was a 23andme he would be a close match to my aunt, and at least their system would allow me to drop them a note.
I had the idea of going on the Ancestry kit of my grandmother's cousin, which would be his 2nd 1R and try to contact him. I can't figure out who he is. I've sent notes to several of the top matches. If he had used his name it would be a no duh. If you have not renewed your subscriptions do they block notes from going to matches?
Kudos for using your real name.

MitchellSince1893
02-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Thus far I have found three confirmed relatives at Ancestry DNA, and all of us share descent from my y-dna line second great grandparents. As I mentioned, I also have a y-dna match who shares those ancestors with me (therefore our y-dna mrca is my second great grandfather). That y-dna match has not tested with Ancestry, just with FTDNA and only for y-dna.

Here are the photos of those second great grandparents.

7905 7906

PM your ancestry.com username and I will see if we are related via my father. His username is MitchellSince1893.

rms2
02-20-2016, 07:13 PM
PM your ancestry.com username and I will see if we are related via my father. His username is MitchellSince1893.

Done. Thanks.

MitchellSince1893
02-20-2016, 07:19 PM
You may want the add the ancestrydnahelper chrome extension. I searched for your username but it does't show up in the "users this test" or "users any test" so it may be that you aren't showing up to me yet. But my username Mitchellsince1893 may show up to you.

rms2
02-20-2016, 07:26 PM
You may want the add the ancestrydnahelper chrome extension. I searched for your username but it does't show up in the "users this test" or "users any test" so it may be that you aren't showing up to me yet. But my username Mitchellsince1893 may show up to you.

How do I do that? I'm brand new to Ancestry DNA.

MitchellSince1893
02-20-2016, 07:39 PM
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ancestrydna-helper/hjflmfphflaeehhpdiggobllgffelfee?hl=en-US

This is how I was able to search for your username

MitchellSince1893
02-20-2016, 07:44 PM
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ancestrydna-helper/hjflmfphflaeehhpdiggobllgffelfee?hl=en-US

This is how I was able to search for your username

FYI the scan process can take 18 hours to complete...that's how long it took me.

rms2
02-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Thus far I am not in any of Ancestry's "DNA Circles". Maybe they haven't had enough time to put me in any of them, but I think the matches I mentioned above should put me in at least one for my second great grandparents.

C J Wyatt III
02-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Thus far I am not in any of Ancestry's "DNA Circles". Maybe they haven't had enough time to put me in any of them, but I think the matches I mentioned above should put me in at least one for my second great grandparents.

You might be a victim of Timber.

Jack

rms2
02-21-2016, 03:32 PM

Jack

Please explain. That flew over my head.

rms2
02-21-2016, 03:45 PM

Jack

Okay, I'm guessing you mean timber in the sense of a log jam of recent test results that is slowing down the DNA Circles process.

C J Wyatt III
02-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Okay, I'm guessing you mean timber in the sense of a log jam of recent test results that is slowing down the DNA Circles process.

No, AncestryDNA gets rid of what it can't explain:

http://dna-explained.com/2015/11/06/ancestrys-new-amount-of-shared-dna-what-does-it-really-mean/

Some of you may be familiar with an astounding line of research that I am pursuing. I have found a person who was likely responsible for fathering thousands of children with hundreds of enslaved women in early 18th Century North Carolina. The female offspring when old enough generally were sold as brides. I have found that my Canadian mother has multiple lines back to this person. A match just about anywhere on her X-chromosomes indicates that person as a common ancestor. By using that unusual nature of my mother's X-DNA, I have been able to determine scores of mtDNA haplgroups that the enslaved women belonged to. While a few are African or Native American in nature, most came from the likes of the Barbary Pirates who took captives all along the coast of Europe, and as far away as Iceland. Interestingly, I have found that a significant number of descendants of these enslaved women back migrated to the Old World or other areas where they felt more comfortable than in the American Colonies.

When comparing my mother to others, I am more likely than not to find this common ancestry say eight or so generations back. I went to the expense to add my mother to AncestryDNA's database in hopes that the Circles would help me prove this and make her data accessible to a wider population. Needless to say, I was very disappointed to find out the extent that AncestryDNA manipulates data.

Jack Wyatt

rms2
02-21-2016, 09:50 PM
I think it more likely that my results are just too recent, and Ancestry has not had time to put me in any Circles, since a third cousin with whom I regularly communicate and who is a match to me on both Ancestry and Family Finder belongs to some DNA Circles.

Thanks for the clarification on Timber though. I had never heard of it until you mentioned it.

rms2
02-23-2016, 07:23 PM
Just got a message today at Ancestry from a match who, it turns out, is a 3rd cousin. We share the same McElroy second great grandparents. Her great grandmother was the sister of my great grandmother. I also match this match's brother.

This is great, because I have almost no information on this ancestor, who was my father's maternal grandmother. Her name was Lula McElroy, and she is supposed to have been Irish or of fairly recent Irish ancestry. Now at least I know that she had a sister named Leona.

I already know her mtDNA haplogroup was K1a, because Lula McElroy is my dad's mtDNA mdka.

This match shares 324.5 cM with my dad on Gedmatch and 262.2 cM with me. That's pretty good.

I hope to get some more info on this line very soon.

rms2
02-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Just got a message today at Ancestry from a match who, it turns out, is a 3rd cousin. We share the same McElroy second great grandparents. Her great grandmother was the sister of my great grandmother. I also match this match's brother.

This is great, because I have almost no information on this ancestor, who was my father's maternal grandmother. Her name was Lula McElroy, and she is supposed to have been Irish or of fairly recent Irish ancestry. Now at least I know that she had a sister named Leona.

I already know her mtDNA haplogroup was K1a, because Lula McElroy is my dad's mtDNA mdka.

This match shares 324.5 cM with my dad on Gedmatch and 262.2 cM with me. That's pretty good.

As it turns out, the second great grandmother I share with this match and her brother is their mtDNA mdka, which means they should match my dad on mtDNA and be K1a like him. They have not been tested for mtDNA with Family Tree DNA (and at all), so they don't show up as mtDNA matches on his FTDNA myFTDNA pages.

Dubhthach
02-24-2016, 01:02 PM

From Woulfe (1923)

Mac GIOLLA RUAIDH—IV—M'Gillarowe, M'Gillaroe, M'Gillaroye, M'Killeroe, M'Killroy, MacGillroy, MacGilroy, MacIlroy, MacElroy, MacAlroy, MacLeroy, Gilroy, Kilroy, Ilroy, Roy, and, by 'translation,' King; 'son of Giolla ruadh' (red youth); the name of a Fermanagh family, the head of which resided at Ballymackilroy, in the parish of Aghalurchur, near Lough Erne. In the 16th century, it was common in Down, Cavan, Roscommon and Offaly. It is sometimes erroneously translated King.

One of more famous current holders of name (though in McIlroy variation)

http://thestar.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/rory.jpg

AJL
02-24-2016, 03:28 PM
^ Thanks for the Woulfe citation -- I have Gilroys from Cavan.

Dubhthach
02-24-2016, 04:08 PM
^ Thanks for the Woulfe citation -- I have Gilroys from Cavan.

If you look at the Griffith Survey maps on the Irish Times map there's definite concentration in the vicinity there.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?fuseaction=Go.&Surname=Gilroy&UserID=

96 Households with name, with top three counties been:
Leitrim: 25
Fermanagh: 24
Cavan: 17

Makes sense given Fermanagh origin as noted in Woulfe

rms2
02-24-2016, 04:54 PM
From Woulfe (1923)

One of more famous current holders of name (though in McIlroy variation)

http://thestar.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/rory.jpg

Thanks for that information. I'm starting to learn more about my particular set of McElroys, even possibly going back at least one more generation, although I have to confirm the names. Just getting started on them though, but it's already a lot more than what I knew before.

I would say the Ancestry DNA test has already more than paid for itself.

MitchellSince1893
02-24-2016, 06:02 PM

I have McElroy/McLeroy ancestors too. John McElroy b. 1690 in Maryland and Francis Durham. John was son of Patrick b. 1655 in Ireland, son of Patrick b.1615 in Ireland.

rms2
02-29-2016, 11:11 PM
As of today I am now in nine DNA Circles for ancestors I know are mine, including my y-dna line second great grandfather and my mother's paternal line third and fourth great grandfathers.

Not bad!

rms2
03-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Via my Ancestry DNA results I've found out more about my McElroy line, pushing it back a couple of generations, and I've added a couple of surnames I didn't know about, Pringle and Dreyden (aka Dryden), both of them Scots.

Once I renew my Ancestry subscription (haven't done that yet), I think I'll probably find out a lot more.

castle3
03-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Via my Ancestry DNA results I've found out more about my McElroy line, pushing it back a couple of generations, and I've added a couple of surnames I didn't know about, Pringle and Dreyden (aka Dryden), both of them Scots.

Once I renew my Ancestry subscription (haven't done that yet), I think I'll probably find out a lot more.
Good to see Pringle listed - a fine Borders surname!

rms2
03-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Good to see Pringle listed - a fine Borders surname!

One of my 4th great grandfathers was Thomas Kennedy Pringle. I don't know much about him yet.

Jutlander
03-25-2016, 08:46 AM
I've had Ancestry for about a year, i have no action in the DNA circles and never have done. I find Ancestry DNA good but also a bit frustrating, people know it works best with a tree connected to your profile so each other can see or work our matches better, but some people don't bother. Either that or they sit at a high match rate and never answer any messages or requests. It makes me wonder why some people bother at all if they want to work nothing out of their family history.

I have roughly 25% Irish DNA with only 1 Full Irish Grandparent.