PDA

View Full Version : MesolithNeolith,CW/BB/Bronze Age sites/museums to visit in Germany, Denmark & Sweden?

Hando
01-09-2016, 04:38 AM
Hi, I'm visiting Germany, Denmark & Sweden in February and wanted suggestions on any Corded Ware, Bell Beaker, Battle Axe, Bronze Age archaeological sites, museums etc I could visit? Also Stone Age, Neolithic sites please?
I'll be near Heidelberg, Koblenz, Bremen, Hamburg, Dresden in Germany.
I'll be in Copenhagen and Stockholm too.
Thanks
PS. Also interested in the Germanic migration era such as Vendel, Upsalla, Beowulf etc.

angscoire
01-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Hi, I'm visiting Germany, Denmark & Sweden in February and wanted suggestions on any Corded Ware, Bell Beaker, Battle Axe, Bronze Age archaeological sites, museums etc I could visit? Also Stone Age, Neolithic sites please?
I'll be near Heidelberg, Koblenz, Bremen, Hamburg, Dresden in Germany.
I'll be in Copenhagen and Stockholm too.
Thanks
PS. Also interested in the Germanic migration era such as Vendel, Upsalla, Beowulf etc.

Nationalmuseet in Copenhagen is outstanding - one of the best archeological museums I have ever visited . Make that your priority. Stockholm has its Historiska Museet too, which you will definitely appreciate . The German cities you have listed are all fascinating places ; they are heavy on art and culture, but light on pre-historic stuff . Less than 2 hours train ride away from Dresden is Halle which has a decent archeological museum with the three R1a Corded Ware males from Eulau and other interesting artefacts like the Nebra Sky Disc . Closer to Dresden , Chemnitz also has a museum. Hamburg has an archeological museum - but I am unsure of the quality of its collection. Uppsala is certainly worth a day trip from Stockholm but bear in mind the weather at this time of year is brutally cold in both Denmark and Sweden so outdoors explorations may not be much fun. Roskilde is maybe worth a day trip from Copenhagen if you are into Vikings to see the ships and the small historical museum .

angscoire
03-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Hando , did you get to see any of these ?

Hando
03-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Hando , did you get to see any of these ?
Angscoire, I did visit Copenhagen's Nationalmuseet. I was in both Dresden and Stockholm and wanted to visit the Nebra disk in Halle as I passed through it on the way to Dresden, as well as the Historiska Museet in Stockholm, but unfortunately I simply did not have the time at all. I visited too many places in the limited time I had. But I do plan on revisiting these areas soon and will heed your advice when I do. I really do appreciate it. Cheers
PS. I also visited Oetzi in Bozen as well as Tollund man in Silkeborg several years ago. Here are some photos.8077

Hando
03-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Here are some from Silkeborg's (Tollund)8078 museum.

Hando
03-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Silkeborg.

Hando
03-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Silkeborg again.8080

Hando
03-08-2016, 08:43 AM
One more from Silkeborg.8081

palamede
03-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Near Aarhus very interesting Moesgard museum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moesg%C3%A5rd_Museum

Not in the object but very beautiful is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Town,_Aarhus

Capital of Jutland is the second town of Denmark after Copenhagen.

Silkeborg is not far north from Aarhus