PDA

View Full Version : My results.

firemonkey
01-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Surprisingly low Great Britain.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labile/genealogy/Ancestry%20UK%20results.gif

estevard
01-12-2016, 03:15 AM
Ditto for me.

Nationality wise my 16 great-great grandparents were:

Scottish 37.5%
English 25.0%
Latvian 25.0%
Cornish 12.5%

And the Ancestry.com estimate came out as:

Just 4% Great Britain.

I'm still on the lower slope of a very steep learning curve but I gather the estimates hinge on the reference populations used by Ancestry.com and if the discussion in the following blog post is still current (given how fast everything changes in this caper) then their "British" reference population appears to be indirectly sourced.

[ http://cruwys.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/my-updated-ethnicity-results-from.html ]

Nevertheless, my estimate from Ancestry didn't flicker my eyebrows. My English ancestors came from the south-east corner, no doubt well trodden by Western Europeans. The Irish component probably derives from ancestors in Islay and Ross and Cromarty ... even the lowlanders were from the west side.

Stephen1986
01-12-2016, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure if either of you have seen them, but if you click each component, it gives a range for each one as well as more information and averages. For example, my biggest component is West Europe -

38% West Europe with a range of 11-64%. Typical native of that region has 48%.

estevard
01-14-2016, 05:02 AM
... if you click each component, it gives a range for each one as well as more information and averages.

You can see the ranges in toto if you make the optional detailed printout of their estimates. And then you get a mental picture of a crazy Venn diagram with overlaps that can only be guessed at.

As I understand it (and I concede I may not), Ancestry.com uses relatively modern reference populations. If so, I can assume that the approximately 25% of my autosomal from my Latvian maternal granny accounts for all the estimated 13%/5% Europe East/Finland North Russia. Assuming 25% for granny, the remaining 7% could be some of the Scandinavian and/or West European. However, if say I’ve only got 20% of my autosomal from granny then a 10%/10% Europe East/Finland North Russia split could account for all of it and be within the given ranges for those two reference populations.

I suppose the message is that the estimates are only intended as a crude indicator allowing for a wide range of interpretation.

estevard
01-15-2016, 03:24 AM
I suppose the message is that the estimates are only intended as a crude indicator allowing for a wide range of interpretation.

An afterthought in case it appears I was being overly negative:—

The ethnicity estimate is only one feature of Ancestry.com's autosomal testing.

Far more important is the potential to detect unknown relatives within several degrees whose trees (if reliably documented) may help confirm or contest the paper research.

For me, the ethnicity estimate was a falsifiability test: it didn't prove a lot but at least it didn't show that any of my cherished paper-based research was patently false (say by estimating 50% Melanesia).

firemonkey
01-15-2016, 04:16 PM
Ireland range 22-49
Scandinavia range 3-44
Europe west range 0-48
Great Britain range 0-33
Italy/Greece range 0-4
Europe east range 0-4

laulei
01-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Here are my results:

Ireland 47%
Scandinavia 31%
Europe West 8%
Italy/Greece 5%
Great Britain 4%
European Jewish 1%
Iberian Peninsula 1%
Finland/Northwest Russia <1%
Caucasus <1%
Africa North <1%

Krefter
01-15-2016, 05:39 PM
23andme gives much better regional-percentages than ancestry.com.