PDA

View Full Version : L21 subgroup frequencies

Jon
01-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Hi All,

In the light of the new discoveries in aDNA, and what that might mean for us, I have a question.

I read that L21 diversity in terms of well-defined subgroups is highest in Ireland and Scotland, despite good L21 representation in England and Wales. Further, that this dominance of certain subgroups in specific areas (M222 in Ireland or L193 or L1335 in Scotland), MAY represent ancient dominant kinship groups. Apparently this represents the emergence of powerful individual clans who achieved dominance over the smaller populations of Scotland/Ireland, whereas in England, this effect was naturally restricted by higher numbers of invasions, etc., in the post-Roman era.

I admit I'm not as knowledgable as many on this forum, so I'd welcome any thoughts on this.

Mikewww
01-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Hi All,

In the light of the new discoveries in aDNA, and what that might mean for us, I have a question.

I read that L21 diversity in terms of well-defined subgroups is highest in Ireland and Scotland, despite good L21 representation in England and Wales. Further, that this dominance of certain subgroups in specific areas (M222 in Ireland or L193 or L1335 in Scotland), MAY represent ancient dominant kinship groups. Apparently this represents the emergence of powerful individual clans who achieved dominance over the smaller populations of Scotland/Ireland, whereas in England, this effect was naturally restricted by higher numbers of invasions, etc., in the post-Roman era.

I admit I'm not as knowledgable as many on this forum, so I'd welcome any thoughts on this.
Where do you read L21 diversity is highest in Ireland and Scotland? Last time I checked I was getting the opposite but it all depends on what we are looking at.

Jon
01-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Perhaps I'm not using the term 'diversity' correctly. I mean that it seems to me at least, that subgroups of L21, like M222 or L193, seem to be best defined and restricted to their highest frequencies in Ireland and Scotland - like, there hasn't been, as far as I know, a specifically 'English-based' subgroup of L21 the way that L193 is overwhelmingly Scottish and M222 Irish. Sorry if my post was muddled!